Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: We won, but....

Default We won, but....

1)

The O-line didn't look good. I was most disappointed in Fisher whom I want so passionately to succeed. It could be that his body is still going through readjusting to the LT position after the travesty of having to play RT all season. Hopefully it's only a muscle memory issue that will go away soon. But he was overpowered on almost all plays. I thought he put extra emphasis on getting stronger this off season. Boy, it did not show!

The rest of the O-line was poor, but we all now O-lines need to gel and this one hasn't had the time to do so. But that gelling needs to come by the time the season starts or we are in deep trouble. Somewhat on the bight side, though, was the play of rookie Zack Fulton whom I did not see make rookie mistakes.

2)

Ron Parker, was bad. I don't know why, but I expected better play out of him, hoping he was one of those diamonds in the rough we might have lucked into.

3)

I soooo wanted Tyler Bray to do well.... OUCH!... In my perfect world he will develop to be our long term starter. There was one pass though that impressed me. It was a bullet completion that traveled a fair distance with velocity all from a flick of his wrist. My thought is he saw his allotment of 3rd quarter play was in danger when he finally took the field at midpoint. I think he forced it and wanted to impress immediately, given he was short of time. That's when a young QB falls into the trap of immaturity. Looking forward to the next game to see how he does.

4)

Ho hum was all I can say about another player whom I want soooo much to succeed. TE Demetrius Harris. I love this formula of making TEs out of ex basketball players. seems to be a natural transition. I'm still holding a lot of homerish hope for Harris. Go get 'em DH.

5)

I have nothing against Succop, but I've been hoping Santos would win the job, if nothing else, for the cap savings. Didn't like Santos' kickoffs.

OK, now that I have played devil's advocate, let's look at some positives and/or pleasant surprises.

1)

WR Wilson. My son, having seen him play against Iowa, had told me he'd be good, when we signed him. He certainly did not disappoint.

2)

D'Antony Thomas. Some kids are gang busters in college, but get lost in the pros. I think he will be something special.

3)

Cyrus Grey has been a favorite of mine ever since we drafted him. Quietly one of our better RBs. I like his determined style when he runs. Hopefully he will make the roster and contribute.

4)

I'm gonna keep my eyes on Malcolm Thomas. Something tells me HE could be that diamond in the rough in the secondary that I was hoping Parker was.

5)

Last but not least, TRAVIS KELCE baby!!!! Yes it was against the scrubs, but that speed for a TE?! That should be illegal! people who have compared him to Moeaki never stopped to think that Moeaki's injury history was way more extensive. Kelce's was of freak timing. Right at the start of his pro career. That's all.

I know all of this is from a small sampling of one preseason game. So things can change starting the next game. Hopefully for the better.

Quote Originally Posted by Frankenchief View Post

1)

The O-line didn't look good. I was most disappointed in Fisher whom I want so passionately to succeed. It could be that his body is still going through readjusting to the LT position after the travesty of having to play RT all season. Hopefully it's only a muscle memory issue that will go away soon. But he was overpowered on almost all plays. I thought he put extra emphasis on getting stronger this off season. Boy, it did not show!

The rest of the O-line was poor, but we all now O-lines need to gel and this one hasn't had the time to do so. But that gelling needs to come by the time the season starts or we are in deep trouble. Somewhat on the bight side, though, was the play of rookie Zack Fulton whom I did not see make rookie mistakes.

2)

Ron Parker, was bad. I don't know why, but I expected better play out of him, hoping he was one of those diamonds in the rough we might have lucked into.

3)

I soooo wanted Tyler Bray to do well.... OUCH!... In my perfect world he will develop to be our long term starter. There was one pass though that impressed me. It was a bullet completion that traveled a fair distance with velocity all from a flick of his wrist. My thought is he saw his allotment of 3rd quarter play was in danger when he finally took the field at midpoint. I think he forced it and wanted to impress immediately, given he was short of time. That's when a young QB falls into the trap of immaturity. Looking forward to the next game to see how he does.

4)

Ho hum was all I can say about another player whom I want soooo much to succeed. TE Demetrius Harris. I love this formula of making TEs out of ex basketball players. seems to be a natural transition. I'm still holding a lot of homerish hope for Harris. Go get 'em DH.

5)

I have nothing against Succop, but I've been hoping Santos would win the job, if nothing else, for the cap savings. Didn't like Santos' kickoffs.

OK, now that I have played devil's advocate, let's look at some positives and/or pleasant surprises.

1)

WR Wilson. My son, having seen him play against Iowa, had told me he'd be good, when we signed him. He certainly did not disappoint.

2)

D'Antony Thomas. Some kids are gang busters in college, but get lost in the pros. I think he will be something special.

3)

Cyrus Grey has been a favorite of mine ever since we drafted him. Quietly one of our better RBs. I like his determined style when he runs. Hopefully he will make the roster and contribute.

4)

I'm gonna keep my eyes on Malcolm Thomas. Something tells me HE could be that diamond in the rough in the secondary that I was hoping Parker was.

5)

Last but not least, TRAVIS KELCE baby!!!! Yes it was against the scrubs, but that speed for a TE?! That should be illegal! people who have compared him to Moeaki never stopped to think that Moeaki's injury history was way more extensive. Kelce's was of freak timing. Right at the start of his pro career. That's all.

I know all of this is from a small sampling of one preseason game. So things can change starting the next game. Hopefully for the better.
    from what Reid said in his post game interview the kickers were instructed to keep the ball in play. Succup kept sailing them out and Santos did what he was told to do on knockoffs.

Malcom Thomas. Do you mean Malcom Bronson? If so I am going to keep an eye on him too. I liked his ball awareness.

Yes.....I'm glad we won the game. Glad any time we win a game--even preseason.

But I did not find the win very encouraging. Reminded me too much of the first 9 games last year with Defense and Special Teams always saving the offense's butt. I was hoping to see the 1st string offense come out with all guns blazing and really lighting things up. Didn't happen.

Yes....I know that Reid likes to keep his cards close to his vest and that he probably has some wild and wacky plans that we won't start to see until the regular season, but I would have liked to have seen Alex Smith and the starting offense put up at least 10 or 14 points rather than 3..

The Defense.....Dr. Jeckyl and Mr. Hyde. Either getting burned or getting a pick-6. Heart attack city. Reminds me of last year.

Special Teams.....What is there to say? Toub is a Genius! Top 5 in the NFL.

Quote Originally Posted by Frankenchief View Post

1)

Not to make excuses, but according to this link here, Fisher has not participated in any 1-on-1 OL/DL drills until today.

http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/article...3-b244d669528e

Yes, he's got work to do & lots of room for improvement and personally, I never liked playing him out of position at RT in his rookie season, as I believed this would set his development at LT back a year and he probably wouldn't fully arrive until year 3. Time will tell.

My observations:

first, it a preseason game and we didn't see anything more than the most basic, vanilla offense and defense. We did blitz more than expected, though. That was likely because they wanted to test our secondary's ability to cover man while blitzing.

i don't think Fisher played horribly as an individual. The strip sack he gave up wasn't entirely his fault. Allen got beat as well, which kept Smith from stepping up to avoid Fisher's guy. Smith held on to it too long (because no WR were open). Granted Fisher could have done a better job, but not entirely his fault. He is going to take some time to not be overpowered. His shoulder surgery really kept him from strengthening his upper body during the offseason.

Overall, I hope to see the OL do better, which the homer in me hopes smoke time will allow them to gel and improve.

I liked what I saw from Bailey and the rest of the DL. It will be interesting when we start adding in more complicated blitz packages.

Special teams looks great again. Granted it was preseason and many of the people playing ST may not even be on a team in a month. De'Anthony Thomas showed that despite his size he can catch in traffic and take a hit. His acceleration is ridiculous. He went from stumbling to 100 instantly.

Secondary is suspect, but no more than it was last year. The refs are going to be calling a LOT of defensive PI calls this year. They are told to make an emphasis on contact past 5 yds and def holding. This is going to hurt teams that play man press (I.e. Us, the Seahwaks, etc).

Kelce has some good speed. I just want to know if he has the ability to get open against the 1s. If so, he can be dangerous.

I hope we see more of the A.Smith to DBowe slant passes. It is what DB excels at, and how he needs to be used to draw the LB or Safety to get the TE or RB open.

JC hasn't lost a step. Knile picked up right where he left off. Cyrus Gray is making a strong case for why he needs to be on the team as a backup RB and ST player.

I was impressed by some of the depth players on defense. I think our front 7 has much better depth this year.

Outside of getting all excited just for the return of football I don't put much of anything on preseason game 1. Game 2 and 3 are the ones that I take things away from. The good news is that even with the team not looking as sharp as they could the Chiefs still beat a team that went to the playoffs last season. But I will say this if this D doesn't get it together real fast be ready for a weekly rant about just how bad this defense can be. Although they did cause some turnovers and got some pick 6s they still gave up WAY WAY to many points.
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Can't argue with that. I like Sutton's high risk, press the quarterback style of defense, and we saw last year that it CAN WORK.....but one or two injuries and all of a sudden we can't stop a high school team. SCAREY!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    Not to make excuses, but according to this link here, Fisher has not participated in any 1-on-1 OL/DL drills until today.

http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/article...3-b244d669528e

Yes, he's got work to do & lots of room for improvement and personally, I never liked playing him out of position at RT in his rookie season, as I believed this would set his development at LT back a year and he probably wouldn't fully arrive until year 3. Time will tell.
    I know you feel he is out of position, but from what I saw, he was pushed aside on that sack Fumble like he was a feather. I don't see how out of position fixes that.

Quote Originally Posted by Seek View Post
    I know you feel he is out of position, but from what I saw, he was pushed aside on that sack Fumble like he was a feather. I don't see how out of position fixes that.
    Remember it took albert a few years. I remember his 1st year he was awful and needed to be replaced but then the next season he improved. Fisher just started to do one on one drills which doesnt make sense if that was true why did they put him in the game if he wasnt ready. Anyways Il give him till mid season before il start to wonder if he is a bust or not. But just remember alberts 1st 2 years wasnt great at all.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast