Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This Tyler Bray fans criticism.

Default This Tyler Bray fans criticism.

OK, maybe I used the word 'fan' a bit too loosely here. Maybe a better phrase would have been 'Tyler Bray hopeful.' But last night, while watching him in action a couple of unpleasant thoughts crept into my opinion of him.

First a bit of background in his/my history:

Two years ago about this time of the year, frustrated with Pioli's man-love for Matt Cassel I started daydreaming about his dismissal, and Cassel's departure from the chiefs. In that spirit I started reading up on young college QBs that could be eligible in the following year's NFL draft. The best combination of potential, physical attributes, and (yes) QB sounding name in the group that kept popping up was one TYLER BRAY. I started wishing that he would fall to us in the 1st round. Then there were write ups about his immaturity that cooled me off and then I got to watch a couple of his games. I saw someone with a lot of potential.

Well you know the rest. He was not even drafted due, allegedly, to his immaturity. But when we signed him post-draft I jumped with joy seeing nothing but KARMA. This, I thought, was our QBOTF!!

Back to last night, here are my concerns. Correct me if they are not legit:

1- I could not once read 'poise' in Tyler Bray's face, or posture. He just does not read like a QB who is sure of himself. He IS our youngest QB and if he is still maturing mentally, he has not arrived at that yet. Granted he did repeat his previous week's feat of leading a TD drive after a dumb, costly interception. But should making that dumb, costly interception always be a prerequisite to his better performance? I would like to see that post INT performance as soon as he takes the field. That's how good QBs put their teammates butterflies to rest. He is the youngest QB on the Chiefs roster, so maybe it will eventually come, but how long will the Chiefs be patient?

2- He looked awfully immobile. His drop backs looked slow and he stood stationary too often in the pocket.

3- His wind up is too slow and too deep. Muhammad Ali defeated powerful, physically superior, unbeatable, George Foreman taking full advantage of his slow wind up. Rushing defenders can do the same to QBs like Bray. IMHO, Bray does not have to wind up that far back to toss the ball 40 yards. He has enough arm strength and wrist strength to do this. Are the coaches seeing this? can they coach it out of him for a much quicker release? I hope so.

4- The aforementioned arm strength is IM-pressive. The drawback is he seems to have not yet brought it under control. This affects his touch. He tends to overthrow passes or trow bullets on short passes that are hard to catch. 'TOUCH' baby, 'TOUCH.' He needs to really really work on that.

I still hope Reid looks at Tyler Bray as a worthy project and keeps developing him.

Has there been any news about his job security and/or health?

Bray got placed on IR.

Actually this might be best for him if he can practice with the team when he is well. He is still very raw.

I have been one of the most critical of Bray of anyone on here. It's not that I don't like Bray it's just I've watched him since he was in college and he's still making the same mistakes. He has the physical tools to be an NFL QB but that alone doesn't make a QB. IMO I just don't ever seeing him being a good NFL qb. But he did clearly do enough in camp for Reid to keep him around so there's still hope for him
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

So do you agree with my points in the OP? Or am I just seeing phantom things?

Quote Originally Posted by Frankenchief View Post
    So do you agree with my points in the OP? Or am I just seeing phantom things?
    I agree for sure on number 1 he just has never given me the feel of an NFL qb.
    Also agree on number 2

I will be honest I don't pretend to be someone who breaks down a QBs arm motion or all that. I will admit that I wouldn't have the first clue about such things. I don't pretend to be an expert on things I have very little knowledge of. Though I will agree about his arm strenght. His arm isn't the problem I've ever had with him. It's his decison making and accuarcy that has me thinking he's just never going to be a NFL QB
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

I will defer to matthewchiefs here. There is a lot of WOW to Bray....and a lot of OWE! But I am am no football expert....just a Chiefs fan...and I think that between Bray and Murray we have the QB that is going to be selling a TON of Chiefs jerseys. I think one or the other is going to be that homegrown GBOTF that we have never had.

So what injury does he have placing him on IR. I find it odd how the Chiefs play a QB in the final pre-season game and suddenly place him on IR. They have done this a couple times over the years. The Trick shot QB who made that video whose name has already escaped me was put on IR. I believe Tyler Palko was put on IR.

How can they fabricate a season ending injury like this always based on the final pre-season game?

That was Alex Tanny. And he just got cut from some other NFL team.

My question about Bray is this:
    By rules, will he be allowed to practice with the team once he is given a clean bill of health, or does he have to wait until AFTER the season?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast