Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Chiefs need some changes!

Default Chiefs need some changes!

Since last years bye week the Chiefs are now 2 wins and 7 losses. With the schedule they have I don't see them winning until they play the Rams and by that time they will be 2-12 since last years bye week. Thy have drafted a lot of defensive talent over he last few years but we need some offensive help.

You know it may be Clark Hunt. But from my stand point. He is doing everything he can to get the right people here. They only real problem I have with Clark Hunt, is the fact that he is letting the people he hire kill the tailgate experience with their new and improved parking changes every year and then raising the parking prices every year to pay for the changes and then blaming Jackson County for it.

The Parking sucks for a season ticket holder who is used to parking in the same spot for years so that everyone knows how to find them. Now it is a crap shoot every game.

What the Chiefs need to do is 1st see what they got. Let their young players grow up. I said it before this is one of the youngest teams in the NFL the oldest player is the punter and punters can play a LONG LONG time. This team already has a good set of draft picks. Trading Charles a proven player for draft picks is a mistake IMO. This team has an average age of 25 they have already began the rebuild blowing it up at the start of the rebuild is just not going to go anywhere. Right now things look tough. But that's what happens during a rebuild if everyteam blew up there team because of a rebuild starting poorly then every rebuild then no rebuild would ever last. These young players need to grow up. They need to see what they got before they blow things up and the only way to do that is to let them play.
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

The problem is KC has made too many changes, though ridding this franchise of the Pioli debacle was the right move. This fanbase sees this as a constant rebuild but the fact is this is the first season where the GM and head coach have kept the same system in place in a long time. The difference between KC and the "elite" teams is those teams have continuity and we have muddled in change. Give this group the time they need, yes we all believe Dorsey has made some odd decisions but to pretend we have any clue what is going on inside their meetings is foolish and no we don't know more than they do.

Chiefs are hamstrung by Bowe's contract. Dorsey made a HUGE mistake here. KC couldn't sign great FA talent because of it and the salary cap. The Chiefs will pay a devastating price in 2014 because of it. That's the downside.

The upside is the Chiefs will get a decent draft position for the 2015 draft. KC has a VERY young roster. I expect that to continue with the 2015 roster. The Chiefs will probably draft WR, ILB and many DB's. I also expect Houston to sign a long term extension.

Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    There is nothing wrong with the guys they've brought in to run this team. The only seriously questionable move I've seen this group make is their decision to sign Bowe to such a huge contract. Charles gives the team some of the best value in the league when you factor in product per dollar. Dwayne Bowe is on the opposite end of the spectrum and represents one of the worst values in the league. That contract will haunt this front office for the next 5 years at least. $26 MILLION GUARANTEED!! wtf. smh.I think the culture atmosphere around Arrowhead is a million times better than it was with Pioli/Haley around. Saying Dorsey is the same kind of front office person as Pioli is extremely unfair. Pioli turned this franchise into something toxic. Too many Chiefs fans bought into the fools gold that was the 9-0 start last season. The core group of players that only won 6 games over the 2011 & 2012 seasons is STILL the foudational group for your 2014 team. I don't understand why people are suddenly expecting a perennial playoff competitor right off the bat. Last season hurt this front office more than it helped. Had the Chiefs gone under .500 like they thought they were going to, they wouldn't have had to spend so much on Alex Smith this offseason. Dorsey and Reid were brought in for the long haul. Until we see a team built on stars these guys have brought in instead of DJ, Charles, Bowe, Berry, Houston, Hali, etc... we won't know what kind of front office we truly have in place. As much as I love those guys as a Chiefs fan, I'm ready for this era to be over. I want Davis as my primary RB. I don't want to see DJ and Hali on that defense anymore. I don't want to have to hold my breath every time the ball is thrown to Bowe. It's time for the era of Chiefs football to be over with. Let's get rid of the old guard who's used to that culture of losing and bring in a new crop of young/elite talent. The only way we can do that is by trading our good talent NOW. Trade Charles, Berry, and the like. Get a couple of those monster trade deals like we got for Jared Allen that could set this team up for the next decade. We've got something like 20 picks over the next 2 drafts... we need to add to that and build a foundation like we see in Seattle and SF. It would suck seeing some of these guys leave, but we need this rebuild to start next spring. We can't really judge this group until we give them something to work with. They have their QB, LT, RB, 2 DEs, C, RG, LG, and NT. It's time to invest in MULTIPLE WRs, MULTIPLE DBs, and a RT. All those holes can be filled via the draft in the late 1st-4th rounds. If we get the #1 overall pick, we should trade down for more picks. If you really think this front office is the problem, give them the draft picks to dig their own graves with. Give them 25+ picks over the next couple seasons and if they are only a .500 team 2 or 3 years later, then fire them. I just don't believe you can judge a front office in less than 7 or 8 years.
    Reid is a LOUSY coach

Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    There is nothing wrong with the guys they've brought in to run this team. The only seriously questionable move I've seen this group make is their decision to sign Bowe to such a huge contract. Charles gives the team some of the best value in the league when you factor in product per dollar. Dwayne Bowe is on the opposite end of the spectrum and represents one of the worst values in the league. That contract will haunt this front office for the next 5 years at least. $26 MILLION GUARANTEED!! wtf. smh.

I think the culture atmosphere around Arrowhead is a million times better than it was with Pioli/Haley around. Saying Dorsey is the same kind of front office person as Pioli is extremely unfair. Pioli turned this franchise into something toxic. Too many Chiefs fans bought into the fools gold that was the 9-0 start last season. The core group of players that only won 6 games over the 2011 & 2012 seasons is STILL the foudational group for your 2014 team. I don't understand why people are suddenly expecting a perennial playoff competitor right off the bat. Last season hurt this front office more than it helped. Had the Chiefs gone under .500 like they thought they were going to, they wouldn't have had to spend so much on Alex Smith this offseason.

Dorsey and Reid were brought in for the long haul. Until we see a team built on stars these guys have brought in instead of DJ, Charles, Bowe, Berry, Houston, Hali, etc... we won't know what kind of front office we truly have in place. As much as I love those guys as a Chiefs fan, I'm ready for this era to be over. I want Davis as my primary RB. I don't want to see DJ and Hali on that defense anymore. I don't want to have to hold my breath every time the ball is thrown to Bowe. It's time for the era of Chiefs football to be over with. Let's get rid of the old guard who's used to that culture of losing and bring in a new crop of young/elite talent. The only way we can do that is by trading our good talent NOW. Trade Charles, Berry, and the like. Get a couple of those monster trade deals like we got for Jared Allen that could set this team up for the next decade.

We've got something like 20 picks over the next 2 drafts... we need to add to that and build a foundation like we see in Seattle and SF. It would suck seeing some of these guys leave, but we need this rebuild to start next spring. We can't really judge this group until we give them something to work with. They have their QB, LT, RB, 2 DEs, C, RG, LG, and NT. It's time to invest in MULTIPLE WRs, MULTIPLE DBs, and a RT. All those holes can be filled via the draft in the late 1st-4th rounds. If we get the #1 overall pick, we should trade down for more picks.

If you really think this front office is the problem, give them the draft picks to dig their own graves with. Give them 25+ picks over the next couple seasons and if they are only a .500 team 2 or 3 years later, then fire them. I just don't believe you can judge a front office in less than 7 or 8 years.
    Well, Right now, I am liking Travis Kelse as a possible star. Knile Davis is doing just fine as a back up running back and with a little more experience and coaching from Charles he could be pretty good. Zach Fulton appears to be a pretty good pick up as a sixth rounder and DAT has the potential to be a very good luxary weapon or safety net for Alex. Assuming he can get healthy.

The thing I like, is we took an average team by picking up literally 22 guys off the street and still competively played hard and gave he Donkeys a game. If signing average guys to fill in holes as we draft the above average players to build a team is a goal. I am fine with this if we keep getting the same over achieving effort we got last year and last week. Games like week one against TN, will get Andy run out of town.

Quote Originally Posted by Seek View Post
    Well, Right now, I am liking Travis Kelse as a possible star. Knile Davis is doing just fine as a back up running back and with a little more experience and coaching from Charles he could be pretty good. Zach Fulton appears to be a pretty good pick up as a sixth rounder and DAT has the potential to be a very good luxary weapon or safety net for Alex. Assuming he can get healthy.

The thing I like, is we took an average team by picking up literally 22 guys off the street and still competively played hard and gave he Donkeys a game. If signing average guys to fill in holes as we draft the above average players to build a team is a goal. I am fine with this if we keep getting the same over achieving effort we got last year and last week. Games like week one against TN, will get Andy run out of town.
    what Davis lacks that Charles has is the drive to do whatever is necessary to get done what this team needs. You see it all the time from Jamaal. If we need 6 yards for a first down and you give Charles the ball, even with 2-3 defenders dragging behind him he's going to get that 6th yard. Even if they jumped on him behind the line of scrimmage you see Jamaal fight for those yards. I've yet to see Davis carry guys to still complete that first down. Which is why we aren't getting into that endzone!

Quote Originally Posted by Justin5772002 View Post
    what Davis lacks that Charles has is the drive to do whatever is necessary to get done what this team needs. You see it all the time from Jamaal. If we need 6 yards for a first down and you give Charles the ball, even with 2-3 defenders dragging behind him he's going to get that 6th yard. Even if they jumped on him behind the line of scrimmage you see Jamaal fight for those yards. I've yet to see Davis carry guys to still complete that first down. Which is why we aren't getting into that endzone!
    Davis is also still in his second year. Jamal Charles was not a star for this team for a couple of year because he also lacked some of the same skills that Davis is working on. Charles was known as a fumbler when we drafed him. Now, it is very rare to see him put one on the ground. If he does, you wonder if he is hurt.

As I had stated though, he is doing fine right now and if he learns more from Charles he could be very good for us.

Quote Originally Posted by hisenberg99 View Post
    Reid is a LOUSY coach
    hisenberg99 - Okay, so you don't like Andy Reid. Then who did you want for the Chiefs HC? Far as I'm concerned Reid is a HUGE step up from Herm E., Haley, or Romeo Crennel.

Texaschief - Excellent post. The only part I'd contend with is when you said "the core group won 6 games from 2011-12..." Actually the core group won 9 (team was 7-9 in '11, and then 2-14 in '12).

While I'd hate to see a great player like Charles go, if that's what it takes to create a consistent team that goes deep in the playoffs, so be it. If we're able to wrangle a deal like Dallas did when they traded Herschel Walker & got the draft picks that brought them Troy Aikman, Emmit Smith and Michael Irvin - that idea must be explored. Have a feeling that the front office has already explored this route with Dwayne Bowe and Eric Berry, but that there wasn't any takers. But JC isn't nearly as inconsistent as either of those two, the only knock on him would be the age/injury factor.

Quote Originally Posted by nigeriannightmare View Post
    would you say it's safe to say that by Pioli lasting the short time he did hurt more than anything. We were rebuilding and doing it right and now it's getting blown up again. Rightfully so. Do you think if Pioli hadn't brought in Crennel to coach he may still be here. He didn't understand the relationship KC has with the chiefs. He came from Bosron where the celtics were winning championships, the Red Sox, the bruins are always good so the patriots don't have the relationship with town our chiefs do. To me that was his biggest downfall and what is so awesome about Reid and Dorsey.
    The toxic atmosphere Pioli created during his time here is proof he wasn't doing things the right way. Crennel as a HC was a poor choice... but Haley was worse. He continually had poor drafts. The primary foundation of this team is still primarily Herm's guys. Jackson's gone, Cassel's gone, Baldwin's gone, Arenas, Moeaki, Asomoah, McCluster, etc. Peterson/Herm left more to work with for Pioli than Pioli left for Dorsey/Reid. Pioli had 32 draft picks... only 10 are still here. Hell, 5 of Herm's guys are still on the team and we just lost 2 more this past off season. Pioli was gawd awful at his job... period.

The problem isn't the ownership group. Hunt to his credit, has done a great job of going out and getting the top names on the GM/HC market when he had the need to do so. Pioli had been a top name and courted for years before Hunt pried him away from New England. Andy Reid was the top HC name going into the spring of '13 and then went out and got the guy Reid wanted to work with even though he wasn't technically on the market. Hunt does a great job of writing checks and getting out of the way so his top minds can make all the football decisions. If he were doing what Al Davis did or what Jerry Jones is doing, then I'd say it was an ownership problem... but that's just not the case. He's doing what all great owner do... cutting the check and shutting the f#$% up.

The last rebuild of this franchise, unfortunately, was overseen by someone who didn't know what they were doing. Herm was doing a great job of building this team... he was just a piss poor HC. Then, they brought in Pioli/Haley and it proved to be a horrible decision by this franchise... just like I said it would be when they made the move going into 2009. Don't believe me? Check the archives.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast