Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Random Observations

Default Random Observations

In no particular order.:

1- We took a Ford with a flat tire to a race with a supposed Ferrari. Lost another tire and still almost beat the "Ferrari" on its own track. Proud of this team today.

2- The much maligned Oline played with a lot of heart. They were not perfect, but much better than we've seen them this year. Fisher, BTW, OWNED the left side for the most part. That last (reveresed) sack notwithstanding. But even THAT was a coverage sack. I think we have us a LT.

3- Alex Smith has been very inconsistent with passes over 10 yards this year. He overthrew many open receivers in crucial moments. I think he has no trust in the Oline and it is affecting him. He needs to do it after this game. This Oline will eventually gel and become better. Maybe they started that today. Who knows?

4- We called an excellent offensive game. That is except when we got close. The worst,, IMO, was the final play (4th and goal on 3+/-). We have a 6'6" hot TE who was not even on the field for that play. Why didn't Andy load up on TEs for that play? We didn't need long yards. We needed guys who could out-muscle their defenders for the ball in the end zone. I would have put both Kelce and Fasano in and gone to one of them.

5- That was a fumble (you know what I'm talking about) and a return for 6 should not have been whistled dead. The officials, as usual giving Denver the benefit of the doubt, did whistle it dead and had to then save face by claiming there was not enough evidence to reverse it. MY ***!!!

6- Do you recall any Denver players slip on that turf? why were our guys (especially Davis) slipping all over the place?

7- Our D is based on an aggressive attacking style and when it works it's nice. But our players are not taught to go for takeaways. remember our '90s D? I don't see any of our defenders yanking the ball away from the other team's receivers, Qbs, or running backs. They really need to add that aggressiveness to their efforts.

8- (Reserved for more to come to me as I think about the game.)

Agree. Avery is a reject WR that the Chiefs picked up. His catch/target ratio has always been pedestrian.
    I'd sit him in favor of any "rookie" WR's we have. Avery should only play when injuries demand it.

My random observation: 14-10 Donks lead. 5 minutes left in the half, Chiefs have the ball at midfield. 4th and a yard. And Reid elects to kick the ball Back to Manning? In Denver? Seriously? Manning promptly marches down the field for a 21-10 halftime lead. This was a huge mistake by Reid imho.
    SHUT IT

Quote Originally Posted by Bike View Post
    My random observation: 14-10 Donks lead. 5 minutes left in the half, Chiefs have the ball at midfield. 4th and a yard. And Reid elects to kick the ball Back to Manning? In Denver? Seriously? Manning promptly marches down the field for a 21-10 halftime lead. This was a huge mistake by Reid imho.
    Agreed. Sometimes you need to have faith in your offense.

Quote Originally Posted by Bike View Post
    Absolutely. The Chiefs were moving the ball pretty well in the open field. (It was near the goal line that they seemed to struggle.) If you convert, at the very least, You keep the Broncos offense off of the field for a little longer, and if you fail, it really doesn't matter much whether Manning has the ball near midfield or near his own 10 yard line; he's probably gonna score.

On the other hand, I think Reid was just showing his defense that he trusts them to get a stop on a long field. While his faith in the defense is admirable and overall the Chiefs defense did a pretty good job of slowing down the Broncos, I think his faith was misguided in this instance.
    ***Official Chiefs Crowd Game Thread Starter***

This space is reserved for something that has nothing whatsoever to do with MatthewsChiefs. (Whoever THAT is!)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123