Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: differance between a good &great qb

Default differance between a good &great qb

I do give the chiefs credit for hanging around in the donkeys game. But its just not good enough. And I can't help but think we way over paid an average qb. Go back to the Colts playoff game he couldnt get it done on the last drive. And then again this week. Now I know I am stating the obvious when I say smith is average. But it is very clear the differance between a great qb and an average one. A great one would have pulled those last minute drives through. at least 1 of the 2 drives. Smith might be deserving of the choke stature sooner than latet

Ha dilfer is on the list for worst qbs to ever win a superbowl. He had a VERY elite defense. One of 2 elite defenses to hoist the Lombardi in 10 years. Now look at the superbowl s won buy above average qbs in the past 10 years. Manning brady roethlesberger rogers Eli. If you get the qb position right you stand a far better chance at winning games its not rocket science

Quote Originally Posted by slc chief View Post
    If we had manning on those teams its safe to say we would have been superbowl champs.but bah we dont want a h.o.f qb thats no way of winning
    Oh, that's why we have been losing. We JUST needed to get a HOF QB. Well, in that case lets just run down to the corner store and pick one up. /s

In case you didn't realize, the reason HOF QBs make the HOF is because they are extremely RARE. You cannot count on getting one ever. Last I checked, there are MAYBE 5 future HOF QBs in the league (Brees, Manning, Rodgers, Brady) right now. It's not like they are coming out of every draft.

QB A. Comp % 56.1 Yards 3,336 Td 23 INT 20

QB B. Comp % 60.6 Yards 3,313 TD 23 INT 7

QB A Eli Manning 1st superbowl year (listed as one of the above average QBs)

b that "average" Alex Smith last year

Alex threw for 23 less yards and the same amount of tds in 1 less game

And I didn't include the running stats which was very PRO Alex.
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

One more just because this issue really bugs me

Peyton Mannings best playoff game the year he won the superbowl
    27/47 349yards 1td 1int

Alex smith (didnt get the job done) playoff game last year
    30/46 378 yards 4td 0 int 1 lost fumble

But we really need to upgrade the QB if we have any hope
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Great QB ---Joe Montana -- 4 SB wins, 0 SB losses.

Good QB ---John Elway -- 0 SB wins, 3 SB losses, 2 SB's given to hims as a going-away present by the league because he wan't good enough to win a SB outright on a level playing field.

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    UGH UGH UGH Time for a rant on this topic

PEOPLE THERE IS MORE TO THE GAME OF FOOTBALL THEN THE QB.

But even more then that let me list the QBS that have been in kc in the last 8 years
    1.Damon Huard
    2. Brodie Croyle
    3. Tyler Thigpen
    4. Matt Cassel
    5. Tyler Palko
    6. Kyle Orton
    7. Brady Quinn
    8. Alex Smith

WE HAVE CHANGED QB AFTER QB AFTER QB the problems with the offense have remained the same.

I here talk about the playoff game HE PUT UP 44 points that wins over 99% of the games in the NFL MAYBE we admit the defense should have stopped someone anyone? But lets use this standard Peyton manning is an average qb Right? He has a losing playoff record due to bad defense but my god he didnt win the game on his own so he just sucks? IT MAKES NO SENSE. NONE WHATSOEVER.

Now lets talk about this past week and the last drive. Go watch the final play (oh ya he took us right to the goaline) WHO WAS OPEN? Name me someone who was open. Damn you Alex why didn't you tell people they need to get open? We have had two games both games watching on tv i have heard two former qbs who played at a high level talk throughout the game that NO ONE WAS OPEN. And you think changing the QB they will suddenly start getting open?

MAYBE just MAYBE it's time to put talent around a QB. We have some guys who have potential to be that talent in Davis,Kelce but they are still coming along. This constant notion that oh if we just change the QB everything will be fine was all good the first couple of QBs that we said it with but this is number 8. It's old. VERY old. Time to move on from blaming the QB for everything that goes wrong. THERES MORE TO FOOTBALL THEN THE QB

END OF RANT
    Thank you. Enough said. The end.

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    One more just because this issue really bugs me

Peyton Mannings best playoff game the year he won the superbowl
    27/47 349yards 1td 1int

Alex smith (didnt get the job done) playoff game last year
    30/46 378 yards 4td 0 int 1 lost fumble

But we really need to upgrade the QB if we have any hope
    Im with you all the way on this. Bugs the heck out of me to. Alex is a winning qb and is very underrated. Give him the same wrs that manning has had in his career and see hkw their stats compare. I think the stats says more about smith than manning.

Quote Originally Posted by slc chief View Post
    The guy had how many pro bowlers on his team last year and your saying he didnt have enough. An all pro rb and safety to boot.there is a reason harvin passed on keeping him. and Reid has been placing qbs on the roster every year. Smith will not get us the Lombardi trophy. Even if he has 10 pro bowlers. Some qbs are clutch and make something from nothing and others are average. If no body is open why throw the ball into double coverage like he did on that last play. Scramble a bit make something happen. Might of worked might not of. But its better than hoping for a flag in double coverage and a bad throw like he did
    Okay, so you're convinced Alex Smith is not the guy, despite all the things that m/c just pointed out...Who did/do you want to have for KC's QB, that was available when we got Smith?

First what is your point. I don't think anyone is saying Alex is a Great Qb. He is the 11 highest paid QB that basically meaning that he is a good QB. Better than average but not in the top 10. That means both the Chiefs and the even Alex agreed on that.

Second, please tell me where the Chiefs would have acquired this QB you are so upset about not having. Those types of guys aren't just available for any team to pick. Our one chance to get that type of guy and he is not available so we took Fisher instead.

So despite you hate towards Alex. I agree it is dissapointing that he could not push the ball in on the last drive when it mattered but fact of the matter, it is because of Alex that the Chiefs had those opportunities. Personally, I was not at all impressed witht he play calling in the red zone. Heck the first down with 1st and goal from like the 7 we ran the same stupid play four times and it failed all four times. On the last play, every single receiver was a yard in the end zone with three of them in the middle. Alex had a better chance of running the ball than completing any pass to the cover receivers.

Alex is not the problem.

The playoff game, offense quit putting points on the board, the defense kept letting points on the board. Did the offense even put any points on the board when the defense FINALLY did something in the second half with the INT? The Defense failed its job, yes I get that, but to act like the offense should of just put their hands on their butts and let things happen is ridiculous. Sack Fumble was when the game started going Indy's way. (I don't know why I can't hit return on this site to start a new paragraph), either Andy needs to open the playbook (which it seems he does when JC is out), or Alex needs to grow a pair, audible dumb play calls and learn to spread the field, also a true # 1 WR wouldn't hurt

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast