Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: A few observations about the Monday night game.

Default A few observations about the Monday night game.

In no particular order:

1- Kudos to Alex Smith. Now please remove that "game manager" tag from his back.

2- This game was not as close as the score indicated.

3- My son's quote on Facebook: "If you are looking for the Patriots, they are behind the woodshed."

4- Is it me or is our makeshift O-line starting to gel?

5- If some fans where running the Chiefs FO Travice Kelce would be wearing someone else's uniform.

6- Jamaal Charles... 'nuff said.

7- Poe vs Wolfork in that one TD play was a very satisfying sight to see.

8- Proof of global warming: Revis Island just went under water.

9a- Hussain Abdullah got penalized for his version of Tim Tebow kneel/pray. Ridiculous rule. Victor Cruz's TD Salsa dance is in a way more "unsportsmanlike" spirit than HA's gesture.

9b- Hussain Abdullah is the real deal.

10- Our overall safety play makes me dare think about the idea of Berry as a trade bait. I'm not quite there yet, but let's see...

11- Pay Justin Houston, but find a way to keep Hali. Tamba is a true face of this franchise and should be a lifetime Chief.

12- Great defensive plan by the much maligned Bob Sutton. Credit given where due.

13- The sideline look on Belichic and Brady's faces were priceless.

14a- Tom Brady quote about his NFL future from a few weeks ago: "When I suck, I'll retire."

14b- Famous quote by the legendary coach George Allen: "Future is now."

15- Tonight the Chiefs finally exorcized the last remaining traces of that damned curse called "The Patriot Way." Ding dong, the witch is dead. The wicked witch of the East is dead.

Quote Originally Posted by jap1 View Post
    On #4, the big question is what do we do with Stephenson. His suspension is over. Do you plug him back in at RT, or make him earn his spot back? I haven't been impressed with Ryan Harris to be honest.

As much as I think the OL is improved, I still think they have a long way to go. I won't be surprised if Alex is using his legs a lot this week, as SF has a really tough front 7.
    1) Let Stephenson work his way back and earn his job back.

2) Andy Reid has appeared to solved those formidable Defensive front 7's with his multiple TE's as both the Fins and Pats had an awful time with it and both those teams have Defensive front 7's right up there with the Niners'. Those 49er DB's can be had with play-action passing and they ain't got anybody that can stop Kelce.

And since Reid has taken over, the Chiefs have become one of the best road teams in the league.
    Last edited by brdempsey69; 10-01-2014 at 04:05 AM.

I think Stephenson is too good to leave him on the bench for long but, because of his versatility, I would wait for an injury and plug him in wherever he is needed. Unless the O-line continues to struggle. (They have looked pretty good lately). Then I would use him to replace the weakest link (probably Harris).
    ***Official Chiefs Crowd Game Thread Starter***

This space is reserved for something that has nothing whatsoever to do with MatthewsChiefs. (Whoever THAT is!)

Quote Originally Posted by TopekaRoy View Post
    I think Stephenson is too good to leave him on the bench for long but, .....
    Playing devil's advocate here, but how much of his prowess was due to the PED he was using? After Roidman was caught in San Diego he never could match his previous roid-infested form.

Quote Originally Posted by Frankenchief View Post
    Playing devil's advocate here, but how much of his prowess was due to the PED he was using?
    My guess is very little, if any, of it. We don't know what he took. At least I don't, do you? But apparently it is a medication which is PERMITTED by the NFL with a Therapeutic Use Exemption, which Stephenson failed to procure either because he didn't know it was required for this medication, or he didn't know they tested for it. I don't think the NFL would allow the use of anabolic steroids or HGH under ANY circumstances. If I'm not mistaken even antihistamines are banned without a TUE.

"I'm extremely sorry that I failed to check with the NFL, NFLPA, or Chiefs medical team before I took a medication that requires a therapeutic use exemption," Stephenson said in a statement Friday. "The rules are strict, and without a TUE, the consequence is a four-game suspension. source
    ***Official Chiefs Crowd Game Thread Starter***

This space is reserved for something that has nothing whatsoever to do with MatthewsChiefs. (Whoever THAT is!)

I had this question about Stephenson myself

This O line has shown signs that they are actually starting to look like an O line do they reinsert him in the lineup or do they stick with what seems to be working?

I would guess seeing that he was a starter he will get his job back and we have an extra guy for depth. Maybe not this week seeing that we are on a short week having played on Monday. But I think he gets that spot back but now has some added pressure to preform better seeing that the Line was starting to come together
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

This team is really moving on! I think we can really win in SF, and as a sportsman myself is impossible to not feel something "special" against the team that drafted you in the 1st round on the draft an then let you go, you have to be made of rock to not feel anything

Quote Originally Posted by Nst88r View Post
    This team is really moving on! I think we can really win in SF, and as a sportsman myself is impossible to not feel something "special" against the team that drafted you in the 1st round on the draft an then let you go, you have to be made of rock to not feel anything
    Well said! As Frankenchief said, Alex is a "cerebral kind of guy" and I don't think he has stewed on the way SF let him go the way some people would, but I CAN NOT believe that he wouldn't like to rub some dirt in the SF front office's face by walking out of there with a win after a career type day. And I think an awful lot of our "playmakers" are going to want to help Alex Smith do exactly that. Those sorts of things can make a big difference in a game.

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    I had this question about Stephenson myself

This O line has shown signs that they are actually starting to look like an O line do they reinsert him in the lineup or do they stick with what seems to be working?

I would guess seeing that he was a starter he will get his job back and we have an extra guy for depth. Maybe not this week seeing that we are on a short week having played on Monday. But I think he gets that spot back but now has some added pressure to preform better seeing that the Line was starting to come together
    This poses an interesting question. Stephenson, being drafted by Pioli, might've been found using different criteria from what our current GM uses (check out the article Frankenchief found, http://online.wsj.com/articles/kansa...?mod=yahoo_itp ) Either way it'll be nice to have him back at least for depth.

Thanks for the link to that article. Interesting.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234