Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The elephant in the room.....

Default The elephant in the room.....

Time to talk about that 10,000 pound beast sitting over there in the corner.....How good are our Chiefs this year??

So 4 games in we are 2-2.

We should have POUNDED the Titans. They suck.

If we had caught a break we'd have beaten the donkeys in donkeyland.

We whupped up on the fish and the splats. Combined score for those 2 games....75-29.

All in all, I think we are about where most of us expected to be at this point. Maybe the optimists amongst us expected 3-1.....the pessimists 1-3. But I think most of us pretty much figured we'd be about 2-2 right now. And I think most of us figured the season for somewhere between 7-9 and 9-7. Maybe if we were lucky 10-6. Even proangler probably figured we'd be at least 1-3 at this point.

But we lost to the Titans and we pounded the splats. Who'd have figured that???

So how good or bad are we?

I suspect we are going to get a pretty damned good idea about that on Sunday. Truth be told I think the game against SF is going to tell us if we are a serious contender this year. If we beat the 9ers then I think we are a legitimate contender for the playoffs this year. If we don't then I think that a 7-9 to 9-7 record is where we are headed this year. In other words, a perfect example of "parity". Excuse me while puke.

So.....Are we going to beat SF on Sunday and become contenders or are we going to sink into a morass of "parity"?

I ask that question because I think that is the elephant in the room. Yeah.....that 10,000 pound mofo over there in the corner.

Somehow by this time last week I "knew" we were going to beat the the splats. Dunno why.....just "felt it in my bones". This week my bones are sleeping and they aren't telling me a damned thing. One minute I think we are going to kick some 9er butt, the next my outlook is less bright.

So guys....since my bones are "on strike", what do you guys think? What's gonna happen Sunday? And why do you think that? Are your bones talking to you? Or do you have concrete reasons for your prediction?

Let's hear it guys! I don't like going into a game without having a "feeling" about what is going to happen.

To be honest, I think the real question is how good are the 49ers.... Offensively they are not killing anyone and defensivley they are not shutting people down. So far, they look very average.

Regarding the Titans loss. It was week one. I just think this team was not prepared to play with new players and injuries.
    They came out flat as if they were a play off team and would just go through the motions and win. Then throw in the injuries during the game.

Week Two you saw that the Chiefs were motivated to get better but still made some mistakes.

Week three they found their confidence and stil made some mistakes that could have hurt.

Against the Pats. They made little mistakes and was playing like a team ready to compete.

Week 5. Can they be consistent. If so, it depends on who are the 49ers.... If they are the average looking team we saw the last four weeks. The Chiefs will beat them. Its time to see how good of a coach Harbaugh is. Andy has now puts his cards on the table with the triple TE formations and shown how potent it is, with the addition of Charles and Davis to also worry about.

They have a very valid shot, but only if everyone stays healthy and the don't make mental mistakes. They can't afford turn overs.

49ers Run D is really good, their pass D is average. Alex smith will have to play a really good game because Jamaal and Davis may not get the yards they're use to.

What you ask CT is not only the elephant in the room but the million dollar question. I would love to have the answer for it but I just can't and I really don't think that anyone can.

Week 1 this looked like a 2 win team. After that this has looked like a team that can really compete but that week 1 game can't be ignored. That game is the elephant in the room. Is that something that is going to stick around or like many team was that just the klunker that just about every team has. As I have stated a couple of times this week is going to tell us a lot about just who these guys are.
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

If I were to take a stab at what happened with the Titans....I'd say it was a combination of the Chiefs shooting themselves in the foot and the Titans showing up ready to play a football game. The Chiefs might've been looking past the Titans at the Broncos, and worked a little too hard not to show too much during the Titans game. Throw lackluster play into the equation as well, dropped passes and muffed kicks, and the result looks like a uninspired team that showed up to collect a check.

What happened the following Sunday was a different story. It was a loss, but the team didn't roll over and fade away on cue for the Broncos. Because they lost there's a lot of people out there that are skeptical, but the road win in Miami + absolute thrashing of the Patriots on MNF, complete with benching of Tom Brady, is what's giving me hope. If it were a situation where we'd lost 31-7 to the donks, then squeaked by Miami & Patriots by less then ten points, I'd understand the naysayers a bit more. But that's NOT the case.

To be honest, I think Sunday's game will tell us more about the 49ers than it does about the Chiefs. SF has struggled this year especially in the 2nd half were they are averaging 4 pts per game. Kaepernick has been less than impressive throwing 6 TDs and 4 INTs through 4 games and Gore is only averaging 64.5 yards per game and before rushing for 119 yds against the Eagles last Sunday, he was only averaging 46 ypg in their 3 previous games.

On the other hand, they handed Dallas and Philly (both 3-1) their only losses, but I attribute that to the NFC East being a weak division this year. They lost to 3-0 Arizona and Da Bears (2-2). We do know that their defense is very good, ranked 7th against the pass and 2nd against the run.

If we beat them many will argue that the 49ers aren't very good this year, so it seems this game will be more of a measuring stick for them than it will be for us. What I am looking for is continued improvement/solid play from the o-line and defense. Can we move the ball against a very good defense? Can the o-line protect Alex? Can the defense get some more turnovers, and can the defense and special teams get us good field position? I think those things will tell us more about the Chiefs than the final score will.
    ***Official Chiefs Crowd Game Thread Starter***

This space is reserved for something that has nothing whatsoever to do with MatthewsChiefs. (Whoever THAT is!)

Quote Originally Posted by doobs_05 View Post
    49ers Run D is really good, their pass D is average. Alex smith will have to play a really good game because Jamaal and Davis may not get the yards they're use to.
    So winning this game will say what about the chiefs? Good squad or just up against a weak team?

Quote Originally Posted by ctchiefsfan View Post
    Time to talk about that 10,000 pound beast sitting over there in the corner.....How good are our Chiefs this year??
    The Chiefs have already exceeded my expectations so far. They have been playing better than their schedule and their injury situation should have allowed.

But I came into this year not expecting much in the way of final record and, for my own piece of mind, I'm gonna operate that way throughout the regular season. As good as Andy has prepared these guys to play, we are not deep enough to rest assured that the wheels will not eventually come off. If they don't I'll be a happy camper. If they do, I know next year will be something to really look forward to.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin5772002 View Post
    So winning this game will say what about the chiefs? Good squad or just up against a weak team?
    In my opinion and of course that is just me.....

I think that if we win this game the talking heads will say we beat a team that was having problems......just like they said last week about us ANNIHILATING the splats.

But to me....and again this is just me....I think that if we beat SF then we are a legitimate playoff contender.

Those of us that frequent this board are REAL Chiefs fans. We KNOW we will NEVER get any respect.....not even when we win the Super Bowl. But in my opinion this game against SF will be a bellweather for the rest of the season. If we win then we are a playoff contender. If we lose, then I figure this season for between 7-9 and 9-7...Parity land. Excuse me while I puke.

Just the way I see things.

Quote Originally Posted by Frankenchief View Post
    The Chiefs have already exceeded my expectations so far. They have been playing better than their schedule and their injury situation should have allowed.

But I came into this year not expecting much in the way of final record and, for my own piece of mind, I'm gonna operate that way throughout the regular season. As good as Andy has prepared these guys to play, we are not deep enough to rest assured that the wheels will not eventually come off. If they don't I'll be a happy camper. If they do, I know next year will be something to really look forward to.
    You make very good points Frankenchief. I think that a while back I said that if the injury bug didn't bite us too hard that we had a shot at the playoffs.....barely. And being honest the injury bug has been chewing on us pretty hard. Reid has done a damned good job of playing "the next man up".....but I don't think we can take many more hits before things get ugly.

That said, I think Sunday against the 9ers is our most important game so far this year. The proverbial "MUST WIN" if we want to stay in the hunt.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast