Thread: The season thus far and what's ahead........

Default The season thus far and what's ahead........

Alright....so we are 2-3 and I doubt anybody here is too terribly happy about it. Certainly I'm not. Been in a funk since we lost to the 9ers.

But I got to thinking about what I was expecting before the season started and I wasn't quite as upset. Then I started thinking about injuries and suspensions and what I would have expected before the season if I had known we were going to have these injuries and the suspension and well it made me really look at things.

Before the season started, I figured we would be 1-4, 2-3 or at the VERY BEST 3-2 at this point. So we are pretty much where I figured we'd be. Only game in the last 5 that I thought was a sure win was the Titans and yeah we blew that one. Miami I figured was a toss up. Donks, Splats and 9ers I figured were all likely losses unless we got some serious breaks against one of those 3. Well we beat the splats and the fish like read-head step children, we were in the Donks and 9ers games right to the end and we just plain blew it against the Titans.

Yeah....with the exception of the Titans game, we've played better than I expected before the season started.

So where does that leave us?

It leaves us in a deep hole with San Difuego at 5-1 and the donks at 4-1. But I think we have shown that if we don't shoot ourselves in the foot (Titans, 9ers) we can beat any team in the AFC and certainly most teams in the NFC (9ers).

Which to me means we are still in the hunt if we don't make any more dumb mistakes. Rams, Jets and Oakland X 2 gives us 6 wins. Buff, Cards and Pitt are all winnable games. Figure we win 2. That brings us to 8 wins. That leaves us with San Difuego X 2, Donks X 1, Seachickens X 1.

Win 3 of those 4 and we are in the playoffs (11-5). Or go for 3-0 against Buff, Cards and Pit and then we only need to go 2-2 against San Difuego X 2, donks X 1 and Seachickens X 1 and we're in the playoffs (11-5).

Which brings us to this week against San Difuego.

It's not quite a "Must Win", but if we win it it makes a realistic road to the playoffs a whole lot more likely.

We close out against San DiFuego at home and if the playoffs are on the line for us and they are already in the playoffs then I see that as a win. That would make us 2-2 of the remaining 4 really tough games. And with the 2cond game against the donks being in KC I think we win that one. That's 3-1 of our 4 remaining toughest games. Which should make 11-5 and the playoffs an almost certainty. And 12-4 wouldn't be out of the question.

Yup....we're in a pretty deep hole. But if we can pull out a win this week (and I think we can) and don't shoot ourselves in the foot anymore (Are you listening Andy?) then I think we have a real good shot at 11-5 and the playoffs.....

Right now everyone in KC is Royals crazy, so it feels like the upcoming San Diego game is getting overlooked. I feel it's an important game because it's an AFC West opponent and if we went in there and got out with a win, it'd be a nice accomplishment given our injured list. It'll be neat to see Stephenson work his way back into the O-line, and hopefully Reid will run the ball more.

Quote Originally Posted by Eydugstr View Post
    Right now everyone in KC is Royals crazy, so it feels like the upcoming San Diego game is getting overlooked. I feel it's an important game because it's an AFC West opponent and if we went in there and got out with a win, it'd be a nice accomplishment given our injured list. It'll be neat to see Stephenson work his way back into the O-line, and hopefully Reid will run the ball more.
    True, fact of the matter with the Roayls making the World Series. I could really care less right now what the Chiefs do not just this game, but this season. A Chiefs win would just be a bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by Seek View Post
    True, fact of the matter with the Roayls making the World Series. I could really care less right now what the Chiefs do not just this game, but this season. A Chiefs win would just be a bonus.
    It leaves us in a deep hole with San Difuego at 5-1 and the donks at 4-1. But I think we have shown that if we don't shoot ourselves in the foot (Titans, 9ers) we can beat any team in the AFC and certainly most teams in the NFC (9ers).

Which to me means we are still in the hunt if we don't make any more dumb mistakes. Rams, Jets and Oakland X 2 gives us 6 wins. Buff, Cards and Pitt are all winnable games. Figure we win 2. That brings us to 8 wins. That leaves us with San Difuego X 2, Donks X 1, Seachickens X 1.

Win 3 of those 4 and we are in the playoffs (11-5). Or go for 3-0 against Buff, Cards and Pit and then we only need to go 2-2 against San Difuego X 2, donks X 1 and Seachickens X 1 and we're in the playoffs (11-5).

Which brings us to this week against San Difuego.

It's not quite a "Must Win", but if we win it it makes a realistic road to the playoffs a whole lot more likely.

We close out against San DiFuego at home and if the playoffs are on the line for us and they are already in the playoffs then I see that as a win. That would make us 2-2 of the remaining 4 really tough games. And with the 2cond game against the donks being in KC I think we win that one. That's 3-1 of our 4 remaining toughest games. Which should make 11-5 and the playoffs an almost certainty. And 12-4 wouldn't be out of the question.
    After the Patriots game...I'm not ready to give up on this season.

It's still within our grasp to turn things around. The main hurdle for the Chiefs is being more dominant in our division. If we're able to sweep Oakland, and at least split the series between SD and St. Elwaysburg, That's four wins right there, bringing us to 6 total.

If we go on a tear and beat the Rams, Bills and Jets...3 more wins. 9 total. Add a possible win from Cardinals or Steelers - 10 win season, possible wildcard scenario...we're still in it. While I don't think this team is SB bound, believe that if we get into the playoffs we could surprise some people and get a W.

Quote Originally Posted by Eydugstr View Post
    After the Patriots game...I'm not ready to give up on this season.

It's still within our grasp to turn things around. The main hurdle for the Chiefs is being more dominant in our division. If we're able to sweep Oakland, and at least split the series between SD and St. Elwaysburg, That's four wins right there, bringing us to 6 total.

If we go on a tear and beat the Rams, Bills and Jets...3 more wins. 9 total. Add a possible win from Cardinals or Steelers - 10 win season, possible wildcard scenario...we're still in it. While I don't think this team is SB bound, believe that if we get into the playoffs we could surprise some people and get a W.
    Couldn't agree with you more! We shot ourselves in the foot by losing to the Titans and not winning either the donks or 9ers game, but looking at our schedule, I see no reason we can't go somewhere between 10-6 and 12-4. 10-6 probably won't make it. But 11-5 or 12-4 would.

We're still very much in the hunt, but we REALLY need to whup some fuego ash this Sunday. If we do that then it becomes pretty easy to see us going 5-1 in the division. And that would make 11-5 very possible.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchiefsfan View Post
    Couldn't agree with you more! We shot ourselves in the foot by losing to the Titans and not winning either the donks or 9ers game, but looking at our schedule, I see no reason we can't go somewhere between 10-6 and 12-4. 10-6 probably won't make it. But 11-5 or 12-4 would.

We're still very much in the hunt, but we REALLY need to whup some fuego ash this Sunday. If we do that then it becomes pretty easy to see us going 5-1 in the division. And that would make 11-5 very possible.
    Definitely. Given what I've seen this team do so far this year, if we get more competitive within our own division we'll be okay.

It'll be interesting to see what SD team shows up tomorrow. Personally I hope the Reid runs it down their throats with JC, and forces Phyllis to watch a game from the sidelines.

If Andy runs the ball enough with Charles and Davis we should be Okay. He keeps saying "I should've done" instead of actually doing it. If he actually does it instead of saying "I should've done it," I like our chances.
    ***Official Chiefs Crowd Game Thread Starter***

This space is reserved for something that has nothing whatsoever to do with MatthewsChiefs. (Whoever THAT is!)

Quote Originally Posted by TopekaRoy View Post
    If Andy runs the ball enough with Charles and Davis we should be Okay. He keeps saying "I should've done" instead of actually doing it. If he actually does it instead of saying "I should've done it," I like our chances.
    Yeah it's called learning from your mistakes and apparently Andy is too stubborn to do that

Quote Originally Posted by TopekaRoy View Post
    Very true. If you don't change what you're doing...Don't expect different results. When Vermeil was HC, he stayed really patient with Priest Holmes and the run game, and it paid off.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin5772002 View Post
    Yeah it's called learning from your mistakes and apparently Andy is too stubborn to do that
    I don't think it's a matter of being too stubborn. I mean he can't possibly enjoy those press conferences where he says "I should have.....". I think it is a more a matter of him losing his head in the thick of the fight. Hence my suggestion that he needs someone standing next to him keeping track of the run to pass ratio and telling him "RUN THE DAMNED BALL ANDY!!!!"