Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm nervous about the Raiders game and here's why:

Default I'm nervous about the Raiders game and here's why:

1- This has all the hallmarks of the quintessential TRAP GAME. A big win over the Super Bowl Champ, and looking at the Donks after raiders. Very easy to overlook the raiders.

2- Very short week and the Chiefs are the traveling team.

3- Raiders are about due for one. They just completed a full 16 regular season game stretch of losses. That's the equivalent of a whole season, and they have nothing to lose.

4- It is an inter-divisional rivalry. Always unpredictable.

5- We seem to lay an egg at least once every season against a team we should not lose to. We of course did that the first week. Hopefully that was our quota for the year.

So say something to calm my nerves.

I'm nervous about every game, including this one. Anyone can be beaten by any team in this league. Raiders almost beat the Patriots in foxborough a few weeks back. The Rams beat the Broncos last weekend. This is a primetime game and likely the last one the Raiders will have for awhile, so I expect their best effort. Hopefully we bring our best effort as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Frankenchief View Post
    1- This has all the hallmarks of the quintessential TRAP GAME. A big win over the Super Bowl Champ, and looking at the Donks after raiders. Very easy to overlook the raiders.

That's not going to happen. Reid won't let it, and the Players remember what happened with the Titans. Trap games happen to teams that think they are too good to lose. The Chiefs don't have that mentality. I think the Cheifs were a trap game for the Patriots. Look how well they have played since they lost to us, and look how well the Chiefs have played since they lost to the Titans.

2- Very short week and the Chiefs are the traveling team.

At this point in the season, players don't need much practice, they need to rest and heal and that's were the short week hurts us but the Raiders have the same amount of time to rest and heal as the Chiefs do. As far as the game plan goes, they didn't just start working on that Monday. They have been working on it a little here and there for weeks. They play the Raiders twice a year and know what they bring to the table. They will be ready (mentally) despite the short week.

3- Raiders are about due for one. They just completed a full 16 regular season game stretch of losses. That's the equivalent of a whole season, and they have nothing to lose.
    This is the weakest argument of all. I keep hearing "the Raiders are due," "they're not going 0-16," and "they have nothing to lose." Nobody in the NFL wins a game because they are due. You win because you are better prepared, more talented and play better than your opponent. Yes, they could be incredibly lucky and get great bounces and fortunate tipped balls, but that is not more likely to happen because of what has happened in the past. If you flip a coin and it comes up heads 50 times in a row it still only has a 50/50 chance of coming up tails on the next flip. Every team gets a lucky win once in a while, but the chances of that happening to the Raiders because they are 0-10 are no better than the chances of that happening to the Cardinals who are 9-1.

Who says the Raiders can't go 0-16? It's happened before. Looking at their remaining schedule, the two weakest teams they play are @St. Louis and vs Buffalo. I think there is a GOOD chance they go 0-16 this year.

What did they "have to lose" when they were 0-5 or 0-7? The first pick in the draft? They could still lose that if they win a couple of games, but I don't think they will.

4- It is an inter-divisional rivalry. Always unpredictable.
    Very true. Division games are always tougher to win. They tend to be closer, but the better team still usually wins.

5- We seem to lay an egg
    at least once every season against a team we should not lose to. We of course did that the first week. Hopefully that was our quota for the year.

So say something to calm my nerves.
    Also true. We didn't play very well against the Jets (who have an excellent run defense) but we still managed to win that game by two touchdowns.

I'm not saying this is a game the Chiefs can't lose. Of course they can. But it's not a game i'm "worried" about. If you want to worry, worry about Denver, Arizona ... even the Steelers who have been either very hot or very cold this year. Personally, I don't worry about any of the games because worrying is a waste of time. It just makes you feel bad and it has NO effect on the outcome. It's fun to study the opponent and try to predict what will happen. It's also fun to watch the games and see how right or wrong you were. That's what makes the games exciting. But I'm not going to worry about a game. I have more pressing concerns and responsibilities.

It's JUST football.
    Last edited by TopekaRoy; 11-19-2014 at 12:19 PM.
    ***Official Chiefs Crowd Game Thread Starter***

This space is reserved for something that has nothing whatsoever to do with MatthewsChiefs. (Whoever THAT is!)

If the Raiders play Buffalo anytime soon, hope they're able to bring their snow shovels...http://www.aol.com/article/2014/11/1...torm/20996272/

So I'm going to urge that the Raiders don't strain themselves too much in the KC game, save their backs for Buffalo.

Quote Originally Posted by Eydugstr View Post
    If the Raiders play Buffalo anytime soon, hope they're able to bring their snow shovels...http://www.aol.com/article/2014/11/1...torm/20996272/

So I'm going to urge that the Raiders don't strain themselves too much in the KC game, save their backs for Buffalo.
    The Bills could give everyone who volunteers to help out a free ticket! Wait, that probably still wouldn't fill the stadium. Maybe free season tickets for the rest of the season would do the trick.

This space is reserved for something that has nothing whatsoever to do with MatthewsChiefs. (Whoever THAT is!)

Quote Originally Posted by TopekaRoy View Post
    The Bills could give everyone who volunteers to help out a free ticket! Wait, that probably still wouldn't fill the stadium. Maybe free season tickets for the rest of the season would do the trick.
    They are actually offering to pay $10/hour + tickets to the game for the first 500 volunteers.

Quote Originally Posted by jap1 View Post
    They are actually offering to pay $10/hour + tickets to the game for the first 500 volunteers.
    So there is a cash incentive, as well. That might do the trick. I don't think too many people are anxious to sit out in that cold to see the Raiders.

Only way you'd get me to watch a game during December in Buffalo is if it was a Chiefs game.

Quote Originally Posted by TopekaRoy View Post
    So there is a cash incentive, as well. That might do the trick. I don't think too many people are anxious to sit out in that cold to see the Raiders.
    They play the jets this week.

Quote Originally Posted by jap1 View Post
    They play the jets this week.
    Po-tay-to, po-tah-to.

I watched the Raider and Chargers games. The thing that worries me is Carr. He is a horrible QB. He will throw passes that he shouldn't nearly 90% of the time and he is taking chances on everything, but he makes that decision very quickly. He just needs to hit on one of those plays before he could do some damage. I have to say though. I was not at all impressed with him and I think he will be run out of the NFL just like his brother but he looks so confident and continues to throw those passes. Our secondary while as strong as it has been. Is not a shut down defense. They usually make the QB hold the ball just long enought to let the pass rush disrupt things. Carr is throwing the ball way to fast for the defense to get to him. Most of the time off target , but like I said. Should he get lucky or catch fire. Then I am concerned.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast