Thread: Vance Walker

Default Vance Walker

Anybody have any info why he hasnt been pressuring qb's in this defense? He reaked havoc last year in Oakland with really not much else around him. I know they have him playing all three defensive line positions. I thought he would add some serious pressure. Confused and i must say a little dissappointed

Quote Originally Posted by stevefuller View Post
    Anybody have any info why he hasnt been pressuring qb's in this defense? He reaked havoc last year in Oakland with really not much else around him. I know they have him playing all three defensive line positions. I thought he would add some serious pressure. Confused and i must say a little dissappointed
    I think you just answered your own question. When an O line breaks down, generally speaking, the fastest and strongest players are going to get to the QB first and in THIS defense that would be Houston, or Poe or Hali. He is 5th on the team in sacks with 1.5 behind only those 3 and Berry who only rushes on safety blitzes and often gets into the backfield nearly untouched.

He is also listed on the depth chart as the backup to both Howard at Left DE and Poe at NT so he probably isn't on the field as much as either one of them. I KNOW he doesn't play as much as Poe. I think he is doing a good job. He's just surrounded by much better talent, now.
    ***Official Chiefs Crowd Game Thread Starter***

This space is reserved for something that has nothing whatsoever to do with MatthewsChiefs. (Whoever THAT is!)

Quote Originally Posted by stevefuller View Post
    Don't be dissappointed. He was interviewed yesterday since we are playing the Raiders and he commented that this team plays as a team where the Raiders didn't. So they commented on his play. Basically he is filling in at NT when Poe goes out. Both of them are bing doubled teamed every play allowing the rest of the team to make plays. But despite that, Poe made some huge plays at the end of the game. Had Walker not given him a breather early in the game, Poe may not have had the energy to make those players later in the game when needed. So he is peforming well enough that the team is trusting him to rotate in there to give Poe a breather.

So while he is not making individual stats, he is help the team do what it important. Win.

As has been said above, the big name players get the big stats, but you can have a LOT of big name players on a team and still have a sucky team. It's the lesser-known rotational players, situational players etc that really decide the fate of a team.....because football is a team sport. Walker is doing his job and he is doing it well. He's 1) not playing a role that leads to huge stats 2) playing on a team that is MUCH MUCH better than oakland 3) He's doing his job for the TEAM not for his own personal glory. And that is the kind of player Andy Reid wants.

On a side note......Poe got one heck of a workout last Sunday and may not be back to 100% today with the short turnaround. Would not surprise me to see Walker get more playing time this week.

Walkers 13mil contract led me to believe he would be a starter on the defensive line. Apparently he is being outplayed by Jaye Howard and his 4yr/3mil contract.
    SHUT IT

With Walker I've always thought there was more than one reason to have him onboard - For years the Raiders D line was really dominant, so what better way to start chipping away at it than by signing one of their players? Also, I'm wondering how Howard & Bailey coming on strong affected when & where the coaches started using Walker, in addition to DeVito being injured. Overall I do think he's helped the team - The D line is not showing the fatigue that it did last year when they stayed out on the field.

Quote Originally Posted by Bike View Post
    Walkers 13mil contract led me to believe he would be a starter on the defensive line. Apparently he is being outplayed by Jaye Howard and his 4yr/3mil contract.
    I think your numbers are a little off.

Vance Walker DE (source)

Total Value: $10,020,000 (avg. $3,340,000/year; $3,000,000 fully guaranteed)
    17th highest of 53 34DE contracts

Year Base Salary(Guaranteed) Bonuses Cap
    Number
    Dead Money & Cap Savings
    Cut (pre-June 1)Cut (post-June 1)Trade
    Prorated Roster Workout Other
    2014 $730,000 $1,000,000 $0 $20,000 $0 $1,750,000 $3,000,000 ($1,250,000)
    2015 $2,700,000 $1,000,000 $0 $50,000 $0 $3,750,000 $2,000,000 $1,750,000
    2016 $3,420,000 $1,000,000 $0 $100,000 $0 $4,520,000 $1,000,000 $3,520,000

Jaye Howard DT (source)

Total Value: $2,534,864 (avg. $633,716/year; $434,864 fully guaranteed)
    98th highest of 141 DT contracts

Year Base Salary(Guaranteed) Bonuses Cap
    Number
    Dead Money & Cap Savings
    Cut (pre-June 1)Cut (post-June 1)Trade
    Prorated Roster Workout Other
    2013 $480,000 $0 $0 $0 $0 $480,000
    2014 $570,000 $0 $0 $0 $0 $570,000 $0 $570,000
    2015 $660,000 $0 $0 $0 $0 $660,000 $0 $660,000

But you have a valid point. What does this tell us?

It tells me that Howard is playing very well. It also tells me that Reid isn't going to hand someone the starting role, just because he makes a lot of money. He is going to put the team in the best position to win.

The base salary part of Walkers contract is heavily backloaded, which works for him because he got a $3 million signing bonus this year. It works for the Chiefs, too because if they draft another stud DT next spring they might be able to save some money by cutting or trading him. I don't think we would get much in a trade, but maybe we could pick up a cast-off "project" player (WR) from a team that desperately needs d-line help.

It's also comforting to know that if Howard or Poe gets hurt, Walker can step in and do a decent job. This situation has worked out very well for the Chiefs.
    ***Official Chiefs Crowd Game Thread Starter***

This space is reserved for something that has nothing whatsoever to do with MatthewsChiefs. (Whoever THAT is!)