Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: scheme question

Default scheme question

Hey guys I may have a stupid question, given the run first offence we have even if we drafted 2 or 3 receivers do you think the playbook would be changed to use them or would it stay the same. Because I just had that fear.

Reid tends to run a LOT of different formations, so I don't see things being any different even if we drafted three stud recievers. I'd think the difference would be changes in routes, and who's the "hot" read vs. who's the second or third passing option. Keep in mind we've signed Sherman, and have a decent pair of TE's so they'd have to figure into the mix as well.

do you think the would actually throw the dang ball then, cause what I would hope for is that would get us the option of having a dangerous passing attack to go along with the run

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefs4life24 View Post
    do you think the would actually throw the dang ball then, cause what I would hope for is that would get us the option of having a dangerous passing attack to go along with the run
    Actually Reid was criticized at the beginning of the season for not running JC enough.

But to address your point, until we get WR's that won't drop the ball when it hits them in the numbers or hands, don't look for Reid to trust them. I'd love to see this offense turn into a mixture of everything, including 30-40 yard bomb passes every once in awhile, but in year two (especially in an offseason where nothing was done at WR) wouldn't expect it anytime soon.

I think Eydugstr pretty much hit the nail on the head. We're primarily a rushing and short passing team because that is what works for us. IMO Reid likes to throw the medium to long range (say 15 to 35 yards) pass as much as any coach and I figure that once we get some receivers that can actually get some separation and catch the damned ball we'll see a more diverse passing game.

I agree, Reid seemed to love the medium-deep routes in Philly. But he had the talent at WR to make that effective (DJax, TO (when he was young) among others). I think if we had the talent, we probably wouldn't see a huge difference in the number of pass plays vs run plays, but we WOULD see a more EFFECTIVE passing game, with a significantly higher avg yards per pass attempt. Smith would look downfield more often, safeties would have to respect the deep pass, and that would open up the short-medium passes to guys like Bowe, Kelce, and Fasano, as well as JC out of the backfield.

Another issue is that our OL could not consistently give Smith the time in the pocket to look downfield.

Quote Originally Posted by jap1 View Post
    I agree, Reid seemed to love the medium-deep routes in Philly. But he had the talent at WR to make that effective (DJax, TO (when he was young) among others). I think if we had the talent, we probably wouldn't see a huge difference in the number of pass plays vs run plays, but we WOULD see a more EFFECTIVE passing game, with a significantly higher avg yards per pass attempt. Smith would look downfield more often, safeties would have to respect the deep pass, and that would open up the short-medium passes to guys like Bowe, Kelce, and Fasano, as well as JC out of the backfield.

Another issue is that our OL could not consistently give Smith the time in the pocket to look downfield.
    which brings up another question' who do you draft first? OL or WR

Quote Originally Posted by jap1 View Post

Definitely agree. We need to find our Desean Jackson. If we could just cut our drops in half...

It's also weird to notice that when Reid was in Philly, everyone complained if they only had a talented reciever they'd go all the way, and once the Eagles did, they did get there. Unfortunately that guy had to be TO.

It's true the OL needs some work. If it were me I'd rotate Stephenson in more, and see if we get better results. They're a young line though, and we're playing a stretch of games with teams that have really good D lines.

If it were me I would draft 3 receivers, 2 corners, 1 starting right tackle, 2 guards 1 backup tackle, 1 safety, and 1 defensive end. That would be and amazing draft to me. But that is a good question ol or receiver first if the OK was a Willie Roaf type guy it would be hard for me to pass that up

Quote Originally Posted by rodu View Post
    which brings up another question' who do you draft first? OL or WR
    Of course that question really depends on who is in the draft. If the best Offensive lineman in the draft is not projected to go until the 3rd round then obviously you pick a WR first.

But I think it is important to remember that we will have something like 2, 3 or 4 compensatory picks for the players we lost in Free Agency this year. They will be later round picks and can't be traded but having them available does free up our regular picks to use as trade bait. So if we need to move up a couple of picks to get someone we really want we should have a good chance of peddling a package that would allow us that would allow us to get whoever we wanted.

As to which to get first....I think the biggest need is WR...specifically one who will be able to contribute IMMEDIATELY. I don't see Bowe playing out his full contract because we are going to have cap space problems again so I expect he'll be traded or cut either after this year or 2015 at the latest. So I see us getting a really good WR as probably our greatest need. After that I'd want to invest 2nd and maybe 3rd round picks on OL. Then burn the rest of our picks on WR and secondary.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast