Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is anybody else getting frustrated with the play of Alex Smith?

Default Is anybody else getting frustrated with the play of Alex Smith?

It is becoming more apparent to me that Smith does not have the ability to improvise on the fly. If his first option is covered, he seemingly can't pick out 2nd or 3rd reads that are open down field. He then holds on to the ball much too long and either gets sacked or runs (which works well at times). His inability to throw the ball downfield has allowed opposing defenses to stuff the box, and, well, you know the rest. I realize we don't have the greatest WR's in the NFL, but Bowe and Avant are vets, and our TE's are above average. I like Alex Smith, but a change may be in order to get this team to the next level.
    Last edited by Bike; 12-08-2014 at 02:52 PM.
    SHUT IT

Quote Originally Posted by jap1 View Post
    I don't think that is true. Culley is the wr coach and the OL is Heck and Chung according to the official website.
    That's my bad, then jap - At one point Culley was coaching both WR's and Oline. Hadn't checked if they had made changes there.

Quote Originally Posted by Bike View Post
    It is becoming more apparent to me that Smith does not have the ability to improvise on the fly. If his first option is covered, he seemingly can't pick out 2nd or 3rd reads that are open down field. He then holds on to the ball much too long and either gets sacked or runs (which works well at times). His inability to throw the ball downfield has allowed opposing defenses to stuff the box, and, well, you know the rest. I realize we don't have the greatest WR's in the NFL, but Bowe and Avant are vets, and our TE's are above average. I like Alex Smith, but a change may be in order to get this team to the next level.
    I totally agree. He can't improvise a lick. I mean on the TD Fasano had that was called back. Rolling out like he did to buy time, and then read a tight end run to an open spot of the field clearly after his route was over. Horrible improvision there. Sorry for the Sarcasmn there but I think you are directing your frustrations at the wrong person.

Alex has done so much over the last two years to make me believe in him but for the most part he is doing what is asked of him. Andy Reids system has never really had a stud receiver. He has alwasy dumped off to the running back for a screen, or focused on a the Tight end, or focused on the small fast slot type of receiver.

I have though since the Raiders game, the play calling has been horrific. They are trying to run way to many screens or dump offs and team are prepared for it. Look at the play off game last year. Once Charles went down, the offense exploded mostly because the play book was opened up and Alex stepped up huge. The Oakland game. For seven minutes the offense stopped messing around and attacked and they scored with some bigger than normal yards up the middle.

I don't think it is Alex. I think it is just a team cluster F. Our offensive line can't handle a blitz, our receivers don't get immediately open and our play calling is try to protect these weaknesses.

If anything I am getting frustrated with Alex maybe holding on to the ball to long knowing he does not have that kind of time and I would like for him to take some risk and stretch the field, just to keep the defense a little honest instead of taking the dink and dunks that the defense is giving them forcing them into 3rd and long situations where they can just pin their ears back and rush or sack us with ease.

Quote Originally Posted by mejohnm View Post
    His throw to Avant last night was pretty good and it was not his first read. I watch a lot of the Chiefs and some of the other teams just as the rest of you. I might not know football all that much but I believe that we need some much better WR before we should say it is time for a new QB.
    Didn't avant have to slow down and come back to it?

For not stepping into his throw, it looked like Avant only had to jump up to get it.

Quote Originally Posted by mejohnm View Post
    For not stepping into his throw, it looked like Avant only had to jump up to get it.

Thanks for posting

Watch Kelce on the 3rd down play. That highlites my point. Hes pretty much just standing there looking at Alex like Ummmm what do i do. How is he suppose to "give them a chance to make a play" doing that?

Has Alex miss a guy here and there sure has. Has he missed some throws yep. Guess what so has Brady,Manning,Rodgers Ect. But other teams WRs and TES don't QUIT as much as ours do. That's the biggest issue with the offense more then Alex Smith not getting it done
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    Thanks for posting

Watch Kelce on the 3rd down play. That highlites my point. Hes pretty much just standing there looking at Alex like Ummmm what do i do. How is he suppose to "give them a chance to make a play" doing that?

Has Alex miss a guy here and there sure has. Has he missed some throws yep. Guess what so has Brady,Manning,Rodgers Ect. But other teams WRs and TES don't QUIT as much as ours do. That's the biggest issue with the offense more then Alex Smith not getting it done
    Agreed. It's like they're so focused on the route, when the play falls apart they have no "plan B", so they either try to keep running the route or just stand there and without a clue.

Quote Originally Posted by Eydugstr View Post
    Agreed. It's like they're so focused on the route, when the play falls apart they have no "plan B", so they either try to keep running the route or just stand there and without a clue.
    It's all about effort for me. Or lack of effort in this case. Watching that and seeing that same effort given by the WRs over the year If you or I but in that effort we would be standing in the unemployment line right now.

Alex HAS made the effort he has once again this season kept plays alive or made plays with his legs when needed. Yet all people want to say is "he doesn't give the wrs a chance to make a play" well how can he when they are not giving themselves a chance. Instead they just quit. I was saying this in the offseaon until we actually build talent around the QB and not just stick to Bowe and some random guys out there it won't matter if we change to QB #9 the results will be the same. Upgrades are a MUST they have been a must for some time now. Kelce has shown a ton of promise he's pretty much a rookie although this is his 2nd year. So we have hope there. Outside of that we don't have much hope to go along with Bowe. And Bowe can be just as much at fault for this as the rest of the random guys I refuse to call them WRS anymore. Maybe Avant can be the help we need
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Even in this weeks Shame Report, number 5 goes to the Chiefs WR's.

He hits Sherman instead of boweLet's go for the safe throw, but that's just a few examples of smith playing "too safe", but good write up on our offense http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2014/1...ense-right-now

Good read.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast