Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is anybody else getting frustrated with the play of Alex Smith?

Default Is anybody else getting frustrated with the play of Alex Smith?

It is becoming more apparent to me that Smith does not have the ability to improvise on the fly. If his first option is covered, he seemingly can't pick out 2nd or 3rd reads that are open down field. He then holds on to the ball much too long and either gets sacked or runs (which works well at times). His inability to throw the ball downfield has allowed opposing defenses to stuff the box, and, well, you know the rest. I realize we don't have the greatest WR's in the NFL, but Bowe and Avant are vets, and our TE's are above average. I like Alex Smith, but a change may be in order to get this team to the next level.
    Last edited by Bike; 12-08-2014 at 02:52 PM.
    SHUT IT

His throw to Avant last night was pretty good and it was not his first read. I watch a lot of the Chiefs and some of the other teams just as the rest of you. I might not know football all that much but I believe that we need some much better WR before we should say it is time for a new QB.

What is frustrating is the constant blaming Of Alex Smith

The downfield BLAH BLAH stuff is NOT ON ALEX

Did people not here trent green yesterday Not only did he constantly say that WRs WERE NOT GETTING OPEN but he said they weren't even running routs downfield SO WHO IS ALEX SUPPOSE TO THROW TO DOWNFIELD?????????????????????????????????????

I have said this time and time again We have Changed QBS 8 times 8 FREAKING TIMES and had the SAME PROBLEMS. You want to no what hasn't changed our WR core has been Bowe and average to below average WRs at best. MAYBE MAYBE we should fix that? JUST ONCE before going to QB 9

Avant is case in point he has been on this team for 2 weeks. In both his first 2 games he has out preformed Bowe. Avant got open down the field and ALEX GOT HIM THE FREAKING BALL.

Show me WRs getting open downfield and I will agree that Smith is the problem but outside of 1 play in Oakland you can't do it. Yes Alex has made mistakes yesterday he missed Bowe on a downfield throw. So does every other QB. But other QBs don't have this joke of a wr core.
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Quote Originally Posted by mejohnm View Post
    His throw to Avant last night was pretty good and it was not his first read. I watch a lot of the Chiefs and some of the other teams just as the rest of you. I might not know football all that much but I believe that we need some much better WR before we should say it is time for a new QB.
    One thing I noticed, and have been waiting for is the chance for Albert Wilson to get some playing time. It hink Alex is starting to rely on him and trust him as he was targeted a lot more yesterdayt than the entire year. He missed a pass thrown a little behind him that he should have caught, but I think that is the first ball thrown his way that was not a catch.

I look to see more from this kids. You can tell he has a ton of heart and actually has some good talent. He Drew a PI penalty on a play that the ball was not thrown to him and he beat Antonie Cromartie so bad that he had to grab him as he would have been streaking wide open up the field. It was a pretty good move. Fact of the matter he caught more passes than Bowe, but that run by Bowe to get a first down towards the end of the game. Was awesome.

No I am not getting frustrated by the play of Smith. I am getting tired of our play from the OL and WR. The OL has not given Smith more than a couple of seconds to get the ball down field 40 yards that everyone says he can't do, of course he can't because we do not have a WR that can get down field 40 yards in 2 seconds in fact no team does. When your QB has to start scrambling two seconds after the snap you have a hard time looking at a 2nd and 3rd receiver while looking at the rush coming at you. He gets about 3 steps into his 5 step drop and he is dodging the defense coming after him. It all starts up front which can run block and run pull but can not stop a strong pass rush.

Quote Originally Posted by Bike View Post
    It is becoming more apparent to me that Smith does not have the ability to improvise on the fly. If his first option is covered, he seemingly can't pick out 2nd or 3rd reads that are open down field. He then holds on to the ball much too long and either gets sacked or runs (which works well at times). His inability to throw the ball downfield has allowed opposing defenses to stuff the box, and, well, you know the rest. I realize we don't have the greatest WR's in the NFL, but Bowe and Avant are vets, and our TE's are above average. I like Alex Smith, but a change may be in order to get this team to the next level.
    The real queation is anyone getting frustrated by the alex smith haters?

You obviously dont watch all the games. Where are all the wr that are open that your talking about? We ha e the worst wr group in the league and a below average oline. If you watched the game you would have heard trent green say over and over no wr are getting open and that they werent even wr running down field. There was coverage sacks beaides the sacks the oline gave up. Smith is more than capable. Hes not the one who calls all the short passing plays bit we have to call the short passing plays cuz our oline cant block that long amd when they do theres no wr open.
    Me personally think reid should fire himself at play calling. Tired of every week saying we should give charles the ball more but than never does. Hes a good coach bit sucks at play calling. Reid needs ro play to the teams strength instead of making the team play the he wants with the pass heavy calls when we are not suited that way. No wr have a td and thats all on the wr. Even bad qbs throw tds and even good wr get td passes from bad qbs. It says more about the wr than it does the qb.

Quote Originally Posted by jason1981 View Post
    The real queation is anyone getting frustrated by the alex smith haters?
    THIS

Quote Originally Posted by jason1981 View Post
    Where are all the wr that are open that your talking about? We ha e the worst wr group in the league and a below average oline. If you watched the game you would have heard trent green say over and over no wr are getting open and that they werent even wr running down field.
    AGAIN THIS

The people who bash Smith want to ignore this but you just can't It's not just Trent Green to be calling a game to say this. Rich Gannon former MVP qb has said it. Phil Sims former superbowl MVP QB has said it. QBS that have played the position who have called the games have said it EVERY TIME.

What do the Smith bashers reley on 1 photo of Bowe being open (YES ALEX MISSED ONE YOU GOT HIM HE'S NOT PERFECT) And Solomon Wilicox claiming that a WR (A.J Jekins) was "open" when he had a defender right on him. Sure Smith could have led him and maybe he does catch it. But consider who the WR was. The guy who has dropped many open passes and with a wide open field in front of him for a td Stepped out of bounds. WHY SHOULD ALEX TRUST HIM to take that chance? What have any of our WRs done to EARN THAT TRUST. You can say Bowe has and sure theres reason to trust him but he's not running open all the time. He has on a number of occasions just quit on a play. It's very telling that Avant has outpreformed Bowe in his 2 games with the Chiefs. Alex had no problem getting him the ball when he got open down the field That should tell you something about where the problem lies. Going into the season I thought the D was going to be the reason for my rants this season. But it's turned out to be the WR group (or lack there off)

The O line has left a lot to be desired as well. I'm not as much on them because unlike the WR group they have had some good points this year. This is a VERY young O line. They are defently playing like it. But they have despite being that young group played better then the WRs on this team. Though that's not saying much
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    THIS

AGAIN THIS

The people who bash Smith want to ignore this but you just can't It's not just Trent Green to be calling a game to say this. Rich Gannon former MVP qb has said it. Phil Sims former superbowl MVP QB has said it. QBS that have played the position who have called the games have said it EVERY TIME.

What do the Smith bashers reley on 1 photo of Bowe being open (YES ALEX MISSED ONE YOU GOT HIM HE'S NOT PERFECT) And Solomon Wilicox claiming that a WR (A.J Jekins) was "open" when he had a defender right on him. Sure Smith could have led him and maybe he does catch it. But consider who the WR was. The guy who has dropped many open passes and with a wide open field in front of him for a td Stepped out of bounds. WHY SHOULD ALEX TRUST HIM to take that chance? What have any of our WRs done to EARN THAT TRUST. You can say Bowe has and sure theres reason to trust him but he's not running open all the time. He has on a number of occasions just quit on a play. It's very telling that Avant has outpreformed Bowe in his 2 games with the Chiefs. Alex had no problem getting him the ball when he got open down the field That should tell you something about where the problem lies. Going into the season I thought the D was going to be the reason for my rants this season. But it's turned out to be the WR group (or lack there off)

The O line has left a lot to be desired as well. I'm not as much on them because unlike the WR group they have had some good points this year. This is a VERY young O line. They are defently playing like it. But they have despite being that young group played better then the WRs on this team. Though that's not saying much
    Len Dawson has said it the point where he's quit saying it (about our recievers not getting open or just finding an open spot in the field, or at least running in the same direction as the QB did when the play broke down...)

Another thing I've noticed...The two areas of our team that's under fire right now...The WR's and OL...both coached by one guy. If it's a situation where the coach is being spread too thin, then we should pick up a dedicated WR or OL coach that can focus on the WR or OL.

Quote Originally Posted by Eydugstr View Post
    Len Dawson has said it the point where he's quit saying it (about our recievers not getting open or just finding an open spot in the field, or at least running in the same direction as the QB did when the play broke down...)

Another thing I've noticed...The two areas of our team that's under fire right now...The WR's and OL...both coached by one guy. If it's a situation where the coach is being spread too thin, then we should pick up a dedicated WR or OL coach that can focus on the WR or OL.
    Is that true one guy coaches both our oline and wrs? If so that explains alot. Fire the guy cuz he sucks at both spots.

I don't think that is true. Culley is the wr coach and the OL is Heck and Chung according to the official website.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast