Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Chiefs MUST find a way to win anther game

Default The Chiefs MUST find a way to win anther game

This is something that has been on my mind for the past few days. Now that the Chiefs are sitting at 8 wins it's now something that is really on my mind when it comes to the Chiefs.

THEY MUST FIND A WAY TO WIN ONE OF THERE LAST TWO GAMES.

And I'm not even talking about the playoffs. I have just come to the mindset that it's not going to happen and if it does it will just be gravy for me.

I'm talking about culture. After the playoff loss to the Colts after the 06-07 season the Chiefs became a culture of losing. 07,08,09,11,12 All losing years. And not just 7-9 got a few wrong bounces but 2-14 twice 4-12 types of losses. That must change. It has to change.

Getting just ONE more win would be the first time since the 05-06 and 06-07 seasons that the Chiefs would put together 2 winning years in a row. It's a step that is really big for this team. It would also be a winning season that wasn't with a last place schedule. Anther big step for this team as the few winning years they have had over the past decade have been with a last place schedule.

Getting that win would be a huge step in this teams growth. It's something that the teams that have won super bowls have in common. The Packers,Ravens,Steelers,Colts have all won superbowl titles over the timespan since 06-07. They are not just 1 year wonders they are pretty much always there outside of a year here or a year there. The most common thing talked about has been the QB. But as I have said time and time again there is more to football then the QB. A winning culture is one of those things. Getting anther win is a MUST DO IMO. It would be a huge step for this team even if they don't find a way to sneak into the playoffs
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

I agree with your thinking. Too be honest, I didn't think we would win more the 6 games this year. When I look back our record could be so much better (Titians/49er's/Raiders & even the Cardinals game) That's done & it's time for the Steelers. This is going to really test our metal if we can win this game on the road. San Diego is always a FG type of game, goes down to the wire every time. I would like a winning season, but I would love being in the playoffs twice in a row. We have our work cut out for us.
    KC Chiefs fan since 1965!
    Home of the Middle East! Istanbul Club.

Got to hand it to you matthewchiefs.......That was one hell of a good post.

Just putting together 2 winning seasons in a row would be one hell of an accomplishment. Especially after the Free Agency losses and with the tougher schedule this year. And I will be the first to admit that even before all the injuries we've had I figured 9-7 was probably the best we could hope for. What I really expected was 7-9 or 8-8. So 9-7 would be a big step in the right direction and I think would tell us that the Reid/Dorsey team is 100% on the right track.

Don't get me wrong....I still think we have a shot at winning out, going 10-6 and getting our first back-to-back playoff berths in damn near forever. But y'know, so long as we are making measurable progress then I'll know we are on the right track....and it's been a long time since I felt that way 2 years in a row.

It still sucks that we gave away the the Titans, Raiders and Cardinals games...if nothing else, it is a reminder to our players and coaches of what SHOULD HAVE BEEN.

But yeah....10-6 and the playoffs would be GREAT! But just putting together back-to-back winning seasons will will show that WE ARE ON THE RIGHT TRACK!

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    This is something that has been on my mind for the past few days. Now that the Chiefs are sitting at 8 wins it's now something that is really on my mind when it comes to the Chiefs.

THEY MUST FIND A WAY TO WIN ONE OF THERE LAST TWO GAMES.

And I'm not even talking about the playoffs. I have just come to the mindset that it's not going to happen and if it does it will just be gravy for me.

I'm talking about culture. After the playoff loss to the Colts after the 06-07 season the Chiefs became a culture of losing. 07,08,09,11,12 All losing years. And not just 7-9 got a few wrong bounces but 2-14 twice 4-12 types of losses. That must change. It has to change.

Getting just ONE more win would be the first time since the 05-06 and 06-07 seasons that the Chiefs would put together 2 winning years in a row. It's a step that is really big for this team. It would also be a winning season that wasn't with a last place schedule. Anther big step for this team as the few winning years they have had over the past decade have been with a last place schedule.

Getting that win would be a huge step in this teams growth. It's something that the teams that have won super bowls have in common. The Packers,Ravens,Steelers,Colts have all won superbowl titles over the timespan since 06-07. They are not just 1 year wonders they are pretty much always there outside of a year here or a year there. The most common thing talked about has been the QB. But as I have said time and time again there is more to football then the QB. A winning culture is one of those things. Getting anther win is a MUST DO IMO. It would be a huge step for this team even if they don't find a way to sneak into the playoffs
    Good post, m/c.

When you say that we need to win two more games, well yeah to get into the playoffs this year (at least in the AFC) that's what it's going to take, that's pretty obvious...But when you talk about changing a team's culture...That starts from shoulders up (Ownership, coaching & front office)

The more I think about it, Clark's move to get Reid was really well thought out, not a knee jerk reaction of "Well, he's available..." He knew how the Chiefs were viewed by disgruntled fans and made an effort to address it. Notice how fast things changed. Offense improved. Defense improved. ST improved. End result...the win/loss record improved, compared to the '06-'12 seasons.

The thing that has been slow to change is the view of the team by the fans, many of which have lost patience over the years. I'll happily take another season like '13 over what we had during Herm Edwards & Romeo Crennel's time in KC. With that being said, Clark, Reid and Hunt have got to earn a better culture and really work to change the mindset of this team even more to get it to the next level.

Quote Originally Posted by Eydugstr View Post
    Good post, m/c.

When you say that we need to win two more games, well yeah to get into the playoffs this year (at least in the AFC) that's what it's going to take, that's pretty obvious...But when you talk about changing a team's culture...That starts from shoulders up (Ownership, coaching & front office)

The more I think about it, Clark's move to get Reid was really well thought out, not a knee jerk reaction of "Well, he's available..." He knew how the Chiefs were viewed by disgruntled fans and made an effort to address it. Notice how fast things changed. Offense improved. Defense improved. ST improved. End result...the win/loss record improved, compared to the '06-'12 seasons.

The thing that has been slow to change is the view of the team by the fans, many of which have lost patience over the years. I'll happily take another season like '13 over what we had during Herm Edwards & Romeo Crennel's time in KC. With that being said, Clark, Reid and Hunt have got to earn a better culture and really work to change the mindset of this team even more to get it to the next level.
    Getting Reid was the start of the culture change IMO. Clark stopped relying on a GM to go out and chose the new coach took ownership and decided it would be his job. And he got a proven head coach. Not a head coach that had won with a proven team for a year or two and then went downhill (Herm) Not a unproven guy who had problems controlling his emotions and let them bring him down (Haley) Not a guy that you pretty much hired due to one game against Green Bay (Romeo)

He went and got a guy who for the most part coached a contender year in and year out.

If this team can find a way to win JUST 1 of there last two games Both happen to be teams that are in the running for the playoffs. It would be HUGE for them even if they were to lose the other. They would really for the first time in a LONG time have a winning season without having a last place schedule. They would have 2 back to back winning years to build on. Sure I will be letdown a bit if they don't get into the playoffs and it would also be huge to get to the playoffs in back to back years for the first time well since the 90s. But 1 step at a time you have to get 1 before you get 2. But that 1 win would be a big step in changing what has been a losing culture that has set in at arrowhead for the past decade.

GET IT DONE
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

At the first of the year or should I say when the schedule came out how many of you thought 6 or maybe 7 wins at the max this year, really what you though, not what you wished or hoped. So you could look at it a different way and already see a positive taking in all of our injuries that is a good record already, I am the glass is half full type of guy. You could say right now we have gone back to back years without a losing record for the first time in how many years?

Losing Eric Berry for pretty much the entire year along with DJ and Devito for the year were all big losses. Combine that with the substantial losses in free agency and I think you have to be proud of this team. We certainly have more quality wins this year, than we did last.

This team has a lot of holes, but none as big as our holes at WR. Our offense has become so one dimensional that teams just pin their ears back and rush the passer. There is NO threat of a deep passing game. Zero. That needs to be addressed early and often in this draft. Other glaring needs are OL, CB, DT, Safety. Luckily we have lot of picks. I hope we use a few to move up in the draft to get quality players. I'd also be fine with them trading a few of our 2015 picks to teams in exchange for 2016 picks that are 1 rd higher. I think we will end up with 12 draft picks this year. instead of cutting a bunch of late draft picks, I'd rather see them trade the picks.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    Losing Eric Berry for pretty much the entire year along with DJ and Devito for the year were all big losses. Combine that with the substantial losses in free agency and I think you have to be proud of this team. We certainly have more quality wins this year, than we did last.

This team has a lot of holes, but none as big as our holes at WR. Our offense has become so one dimensional that teams just pin their ears back and rush the passer. There is NO threat of a deep passing game. Zero. That needs to be addressed early and often in this draft. Other glaring needs are OL, CB, DT, Safety. Luckily we have lot of picks. I hope we use a few to move up in the draft to get quality players. I'd also be fine with them trading a few of our 2015 picks to teams in exchange for 2016 picks that are 1 rd higher. I think we will end up with 12 draft picks this year. instead of cutting a bunch of late draft picks, I'd rather see them trade the picks.
    Hit the nail on the head! The extra picks this year give us HUGE FLEXIBILITY. Trade for a play-maker. Trade up. Trade down. Must keep in mind though that I don't think our compensatory picks can be traded. Though I might be wrong on that. But having the compensatory picks allows us to use our regular picks as trade bait. If Dorsey is even half the draft genius he is supposed to be then this draft could be the draft that turns us into a perennial contender.

I would love to see Alex Smith come out and start chucking it. I really like the posts but I personally want them in the playoffs. I might be taking a dirt nap before they do something.

we have to win if anything to keep crybaby Chargers out...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast