Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: alex smith

Default alex smith

I hope some of you can see just how limited we are with him as our qb. Not a single td to a receiver all year wow. And for those who say we need to win with a dominant defense well we probably have the wrong head coach and d coordinator for that. Year in year out smith will get us what we got this year an average performance from an average qb resulting in a average record. People can deny it all they want but we won't be hosting a lombardi trophy any time soon with alex as our qb

Quote Originally Posted by aug61945 View Post
    Season Team GP Rating Att Comp Pct Yds TD INT Att Yds TD
    2013 Kansas City Chiefs
    Montana 1981 - 3518 Yards, 19 TDs and a 88 QBR.
    2014 14 93.9 64.9 2954 18

Could be worse and what if he had help
    You can't accurately compare stats from over 30 years ago to now, the game has changed so much.

Quote Originally Posted by aug61945 View Post
    Season Team GP Rating Att Comp Pct Yds TD INT Att Yds TD
    2013 Kansas City Chiefs
    Montana 1981 - 3518 Yards, 19 TDs and a 88 QBR.
    2014 14 93.9 64.9 2954 18

Could be worse and what if he had help
    You're not seriously comparing Smith to Montana? Montana got the Chiefs to the AFC championship game when he was well past his prime. The only Chief QB worthy of that comparison is Dawson. I've seen far too many mediocre QBs take this team no further than mediocrity for decades now. A few were very good (Trent Green). But the majority were at least more exciting than Alex Smith. I understand when the Smith fan boys (you know who you are) say that the blame needs to be spread around. However, the QB is BY FAR (and I mean very far) the most important position on the team, and there are many QBs in this league that would have taken this team further with the talent at hand than Alex has. I like him. He's intelligent, humble and a good guy. He just doesn't have the same talent. Are all the expert analysts out there wrong when they call him a game manager and captain checkdown? He has that reputation for a reason. And for those that see the glass half full, that "just need one more win" to make the season successful even though we don't make the playoffs ... sorry, competitors don't think that way. We were in a position to win the division. I'm certain that had we sucked one year earlier and had gotten Luck in the draft, that we would be sailing into the playoffs now.
    Last edited by NJChiefs; 12-21-2014 at 07:50 PM.

We'll probably be having this same discussion next year re: Smith. That's what happens when your organization is in constant QB purgatory. The miss to Albert Wilson today was huge. Ben, Rivers, Peyton, etc. make that throw 99% of the time. Alex misses it the rare time he throws it deep. It's gross.

Alex Smith is a serviceable quarterback. There - I said it.

Quote Originally Posted by NJChiefs View Post
    You're not seriously comparing Smith to Montana? Montana got the Chiefs to the AFC championship game when he was well past his prime. The only Chief QB worthy of that comparison is Dawson. I've seen far too many mediocre QBs take this team no further than mediocrity for decades now. A few were very good (Trent Green). But the majority were at least more exciting than Alex Smith. I understand when the Smith fan boys (you know who you are) say that the blame needs to be spread around. However, the QB is BY FAR (and I mean very far) the most important position on the team, and there are many QBs in this league that would have taken this team further with the talent at hand than Alex has. I like him. He's intelligent, humble and a good guy. He just doesn't have the same talent. Are all the expert analysts out there wrong when they call him a game manager and captain checkdown? He has that reputation for a reason. And for those that see the glass half full, that "just need one more win" to make the season successful even though we don't make the playoffs ... sorry, competitors don't think that way. We were in a position to win the division. I'm certain that had we sucked one year earlier and had gotten Luck in the draft, that we would be sailing into the playoffs now.
    I will agree that Luck may be a better QB. But the reality is we didn't have the number one then. What were our options two years ago or even now. Smith isn't the best QB, but he was the best we could get or can get. Do you want us to trade our whole draft to get Mariota and put him behind this horrible OL to throw to bad WRs? It will be 2 years before he gets the game enough to do well enough to take us deep in the playoffs, especially if he spends most of that time running for his life. By then JC will be 30+ and is not likely to be performing anywhere near this level. Smith is the best QB we can get, so either blow up the team to take a gamble on a rookie, or build a team around Smith like they did in SF.

I honestly think he can be a good QB if he has a decent OL and can trust his WRs. I think we are a couple pieces away from that standing and we can get there this offseason. A good draft and a couple FAs and I think our team will be deep in the playoffs.

For those saying Smith cannot throw deep, did you see him in SF? He would when they were open deep. He completed deep passes last year in the playoff game. He's not going to be Montana, or Rodgers, or Manning. But he can be a second tier QB that can get a great team to the playoffs.

You can bet your *** Arizona would like to have smith right now
    Stop your *****ing

Quote Originally Posted by jap1 View Post
    But he can be a second tier QB that can get a great team to the playoffs.
    Exactly. But I want a first tier quarterback that can get a good team to the superbowl. Its been over forty years man. I know he was the best that we could get at the time. And I know we can't salvage the future to gamble on a rookie. I don't know what the answer is. But I just wish the fan boys would take their blinders off and stop fantasizing that we have the answer but just need to build a team around him. No. He needs to use what he has. He has Charles, Kelce, Bowe and a great defense. A half a dozen or more QBs in this league could have gotten us to the Super Bowl with that.

Yeah guys I know football and I'm not a flipping moron
    I know there is no comparison in the league since 1981
    but it sure turned up the volume

All BS aside I am up for anything that makes it better than it's been.

Cut Smith, get rid of Coach anyone who is screwing it up.
    Forty years is crap. If you go back thru our history most years
    are less than .500

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast