Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Houston/Hali/Bowe????

Default Houston/Hali/Bowe????

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/po...cost-to-chiefs

An interesting read from Teicher who I generally don't like.

Hali is going to cost us $12 million next year.

Bowe will cost us $14 million next year.

Somehow we need to figure out how to keep Houston next year. That is going to cost big bucks. And I think it would be better to get a long term deal done with him than to franchise him.

I'm leery of letting Hali go. His production is down this year, but our defense has been pretty damned good with him and Houston. Wonder if Hali would renegotiate in trade for an extra year or two to give us some cap space to sign a new deal with Houston? He has to know that his NFL career is winding down.

And after the last 2 years Bowe is starting to pish me off with his $14 million.

Do we consider getting rid of Bowe to keep Houston and Hali?

Could we get Hali to renegotiate for an extra year or two and release Bowe to keep our pass rushing attack amongst the best and replace Bowe on the cheap through the draft?

What do my fellow Chiefs fans think?
    Last edited by ctchiefsfan; 12-27-2014 at 08:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Seek View Post
    Some media people here think Tamba is the type of person who realizes he is getting old and is humble enough to possibly work with the Chiefs to renogatiate his contract.
    I surely hope so. Tamba has been a great Chief and still is. He's one of those guys that you really want to see spend his entire career with one team. Of course, football is a business and the salary cap is the salary cap so Tamba may well go down the road. But I am just a fan and at least once in a while I'd like to see a great player spend his entire career with one team.

Quote Originally Posted by doobs_05 View Post
    Both are overpaid, both have their flaws.
    With all due respect, I think the Alex Smith defenders (me included) have admitted he has some flaws. No doubt about it. But we flat out need a decent QB and I just don't know if we have a better option right now or had a better option at the start of this season. Unless you think Dorsey was high as a kite when he made the Smith contract extension then what should we have done differently? Chase Daniel is a whole lot cheaper and looks pretty good every time he plays but should we really have let Alex Smith play out his contract and gone with Daniel in 2015? Or Bray? Murray?

Saying Alex Smith isn't good enough without suggesting what we could have done better is really pretty much just complaining.

Not gonna lie... Smith does hold the ball too long even when he has the opportunity to get rid of the ball. If Manning and Brady who are immobile can throw the ball away before they're sacked... there's no reason why a mobile guy like Smith can't do the same more than he already does. That is the MOST frustrating thing about Alex Smith's game, imo. If a WR or check down isn't available, throw to the feet of someone close... don't take the damn sack! He needs to improve his pocket awareness as well. There are times I see him in the pocket and all he's doing is watching the rush instead of having his eyes down the field.

If the offensive line were really the problem, I think Andy Reid is smart enough to create plays to get his QB out of the pocket on rollouts and bootlegs... that just wasn't the case this season which, would indicate that the coaching staff doesn't really believe the problem is primarily with the offensive line. The problem is with this group of WRs who can't get open quick enough or even at all.

I wish I had the time to post all the pass plays I've watched this season where the WRs just didn't seem interested whatsoever with getting open. Jogging through routes, allowing the CBs to get their hands on them, rounding off routes, not coming back to the ball, etc... it was horrific to watch all season if you had any idea at all what to watch for at that position. Even a horrible O-line and awful QB find ways to accidentally throw a TD to a WR. When the WRs aren't interested, you can't force them to care. Hell, even Charlie Whitehurst on a 2-win Tennessee team had multiple TDs to WRs this season...

There's absolutely no argument to be made that the WR group this team had in 2014 was NOT the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    Not gonna lie... Smith does hold the ball too long even when he has the opportunity to get rid of the ball. If Manning and Brady who are immobile can throw the ball away before they're sacked... there's no reason why a mobile guy like Smith can't do the same more than he already does. That is the MOST frustrating thing about Alex Smith's game, imo. If a WR or check down isn't available, throw to the feet of someone close... don't take the damn sack! He needs to improve his pocket awareness as well. There are times I see him in the pocket and all he's doing is watching the rush instead of having his eyes down the field.

If the offensive line were really the problem, I think Andy Reid is smart enough to create plays to get his QB out of the pocket on rollouts and bootlegs... that just wasn't the case this season which, would indicate that the coaching staff doesn't really believe the problem is primarily with the offensive line. The problem is with this group of WRs who can't get open quick enough or even at all.

I wish I had the time to post all the pass plays I've watched this season where the WRs just didn't seem interested whatsoever with getting open. Jogging through routes, allowing the CBs to get their hands on them, rounding off routes, not coming back to the ball, etc... it was horrific to watch all season if you had any idea at all what to watch for at that position. Even a horrible O-line and awful QB find ways to accidentally throw a TD to a WR. When the WRs aren't interested, you can't force them to care. Hell, even Charlie Whitehurst on a 2-win Tennessee team had multiple TDs to WRs this season...

There's absolutely no argument to be made that the WR group this team had in 2014 was NOT the problem.
    The only point I disagree is the many times I saw Smith getting hit on a hitch or a 3 step drop and throw.

But I agree the wrs are as big a problem the wrs.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234