Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Explaining my frustration with the QB hate.

Default Explaining my frustration with the QB hate.

This has sort of become my hot button issue when it comes to the Chiefs. And I thought I would attempt to explain why I feel so strongly about it. In a lot of ways it doesn't have much to do with the people on a forum saying it. Hey at the end of the day we are all just people giving an opinion.

It has more to do with the fact that this is the constant approach this franchise has seemed to have taken for the past nearly 10 years. Like I have said over and over again Since Bowe was drafted the WR core has been Bowe and a lot of below average guys and they have just hoped that it will work. IT HASN'T IT'S NOT GOING TO SUDDENLY START working.

The ZERO depth at WR could not be made more clear then week 1 this year. There should be ZERO conditions for a NFL team that Frankie Hammond Jr is a starting WR. ZERO. But that's what we saw. It's what we have given QB after QB. This is not a new thing for this team. Its choices of WR haven't been great. You can go WAY back for that. With the likes of Sammie Parker (who was ok at best) This is why I am so frustrated about this issue.

A couple of years ago when My Man Hali was here he had a saying about the definition of insanity being
    Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.
    That's what you can say about the talent on offense this team has built over the past decade. IT HAS TO CHANGE or they will never get any further the one and done IMO.

The good news is there is some hope currently on the roster DAT has shown he could become a good weapon. The deep past what got me excited was he actually made an adjustment on the ball. That's a good sign. Albert Wilson also showed some hope. He didn't play a lot early I wonder what could have happened if he was actually able to play throughout the season. If he could have made progress going forward.

My frustration doesn't come from some love for Alex Smith. I took the same heat for Cassel. My frustration comes from being tired of seeing the same thing repeated with QB after QB after QB. I was very open to the QB change and hope it would change for the first handful but after seeing as many as we have seen come through you have to ask yourself has the problem been this franchise is setting a QB up to fail? IMO the answer is a loud YES.
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Quote Originally Posted by ctchiefsfan View Post
    Shoulda, coulda, woulda. But we are committed to Alex for the next few years so we have to accept it. Can't change the past and there is no point in crying over spilt milk.
    The likely fact that he's our QB for the foreseeable future shouldn't be a conversation stopper.

I don't completely agree with you, but my disagreement is only a matter of degree. But honestly....I'm sure you would agree that if the O-line and our Wide Receivers were better then Alex Smith would look better and since we're pretty much locked into Alex Smith for at least 2 years shouldn't we be doing everything we can to improve our O-Line and WRs?
    I don't think he'll look better to any significant degree. As I've said, the QB is the catalyst. No matter how we upgrade the talent, Smith will only marginalize the impact of the players around him. Because of this, it will continue to be unclear just how good/bad the o-line and receivers are, or could be with a better QB.

To your point about improving the o-line and receivers - that's something we should do regardless to who the QB is. Smith or no Smith, upgrading the talent around the QB should be a priority every off-season.

Hopefully I've made my position clear....and maybe even perhaps you'll find yourseld generally agreeing with it?
    I'd say you have, but I also think you're conflating 2 different discussions. 1 conversation is strictly observations/opinions about the prowess of the QB. The other conversation is about the hope for the Chiefs success, and what we need to do to build a good team given the probability that Smith is the QB for the time being. The latter isn't being disputed, while the former is.
    [U][I][B][COLOR=#383838][FONT=Verdana]Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.[/FONT][/COLOR][/B][/I][/U]

Quote Originally Posted by OMGLadyGaga View Post
    Not to mention they have a worse O-line, absolutely zero running game, and worse defense than the Chiefs. Yet there they are advancing in the playoffs yet again. I guess not having a bottom 3rd qb is kinda a big deal.
    Although he can't do it by himself, and there has to be talent around him, a good QB is the great equalizer.
    [U][I][B][COLOR=#383838][FONT=Verdana]Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.[/FONT][/COLOR][/B][/I][/U]

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    See to me i guess this is anther way we look at things differently that shows people put to much on going downfield. But like I said I'm not going to arguee this point anymore. The seasons done what happened happened. But IMO as long as this team keeps throwing out the likes of Aj Jenkins and Frankie Hammond they are not going to get far. There's reason to be hopeful in DAT for sure and Kelce but to expect both who were either rookie or in there 1st full season to be at the top of there games is just foolish. We've got a couple of young guys who could really be something. Hopefully next season they really are able to progress and we see a much better offense because of it
    Not every great wr is a 1st round pick if receivers like Hammond or Jenkins dont have a competent qb they dont stand a chance to be a 2nd or3rd option on a team.I couldn't imagine trying to leave a impression on the league as a wr when you know damn well as soon as you get 25 yards down the field your chances of getting targeted are slim to none. Its not a coincidence that teams with good qbs year in and year out. Hell they let receivers like bowe leave in their prime rather than pay them. Because they know they have the system/qbto develop new ones

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    Yes it's not like Luck had TY Hilton and Hakeem Nicks or anything
    Nicks was terrible. If T.Y. Hilton were playing with a lesser QB, he'd wouldn't be much more than an afterthought.

If Hilton were in KC right now, his numbers would be diminished by nearly half. JMO.

We simply have a fundamental disagreement on just how important the QB is, and the difference he makes in regards to how good/bad his supporting cast is perceived to be.

Quote Originally Posted by slc chief View Post
    You are done with this because deep down you know if alex smith wasn't a chief you would be saying what everybody else says. Captain checkdown game manager.
    I think this applies to virtually the entire "pro-Alex Smith" crowd.

One question I always ask them is: "Did you regard Alex Smith as a good QB prior to him becoming a Chief?

The answers vary, but I've never heard anyone give a straight, "yes!"

Quote Originally Posted by N TX Dave View Post
    Okay Alex is a pile of dung and he is the reason this team did not make the playoffs last year (oh yes we did make it last year in spite of him) or this year, it had nothing to do at all with the OL, WR or play calling. Now can we move on and get over this petty argument because we are stuck with him for now THERE IS NOT A BETTER QB WE CAN GET AT THIS TIME!
    I've heard of strawman arguments, but this is a full grown scarecrow that walks, talks, and dances. If he only had a brain.

I don't think that anyone is arguing that every other aspect of the Chiefs organization - particularly the team on the field - can't stand to improve to some degree or the other. I don't think that anyone is arguing that Alex Smith, personally, is the reason for the Chiefs woes.

We all agree that there are only so many elite QBs in the NFL, but this is the expressed reason why the Chiefs shouldn't commit themselves to QBs that clearly aren't.

My issue isn't so much with Smith as it is with the organizational philosophy with QBs. IMO, it is the most 'impactful' position in any football organization, and we shouldn't be so casually content with mediocrity in that regard.

Again: If you're not playing a top 10 caliber QB, or a young QB that you legitimately feels has the potential to quickly develop into a top 10 caliber QB, then QB is your BIGGEST need.

In fact, I'd draft one every year if I had to.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie Ray View Post
    I think this applies to virtually the entire "pro-Alex Smith" crowd.

One question I always ask them is: "Did you regard Alex Smith as a good QB prior to him becoming a Chief?

The answers vary, but I've never heard anyone give a straight, "yes!"
    When we first got Alex smith, there was an actual discussion as to who we would like to have as QB, Alex Smith or Tony Romo. I think I soured on this place when the overwhelming majority said Alex Smith. We had just signed him, and since he was a part of us now, I guess it was time to show blind allegiance.

A kind 49er fan stopped by and said this:

"Howdy folks. Die hard 49er fan here.

I find it funny that some of you guys would take Alex Smith over Tony Romo. Alex chokes worse than Tony, you just don't see it on national television because it's taking sacks, making bad reads and throwing inaccurate incompletions, whereas Tony's choke moments are highlight reel plays.

We accomplished nothing with Alex at the helm in 8 years. It is no surprise that the second he's benched, our offensive production goes from running on coal to nuclear fusion, vaulting previously thought bust Michael Crabtree into the elite discussion, as well as cutting sacks basically in half, and increasing every meaingful QB based stat - PPG, third down conversions, yards, YPA, etc.

I don't want to bring you guys down. But you HAVE to know what you're getting with Alex Smith. You'll go as far as his checkdowns take you.

Tony Romo is actually a decent QB surrounded by a terrible organization."

Then he was promptly accused of having sour grapes. Sums it up really. He was 100% correct obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie Ray View Post
    Again: If you're not playing a top 10 caliber QB, or a young QB that you legitimately feels has the potential to quickly develop into a top 10 caliber QB, then QB is your BIGGEST need.

In fact, I'd draft one every year if I had to.
    I agree with this, in fact I think I said we will draft another QB this year if not on this thread on another and both Dorsey and Reid like to. But until we do get one there is no use beating a dead horse we have, it makes no since because there is nothing else we can do. I just hope one of our young guys steps up this year and turns into our QBOTF cause there is nothing out there better that we can get. There could be light at the end of the tunnel after all Tony Romo was undrafted and Tom Brady was a 6th round pick and right now we have a 3rd round pick and an undrafted QB right now on our roster.

The title of this thread is misleading. I don't hate Smith. Most here don't hate Smith. We went to the playoffs with him last year and had a winning season with him this year. Hate is a strong word - and is out of place here. Frustrated is a better description. To basically blame the entire offense and coaching staff for the average play of an average QB is, well, frustrating.

Quote Originally Posted by Bike View Post
    The title of this thread is misleading. I don't hate Smith. Most here don't hate Smith. We went to the playoffs with him last year and had a winning season with him this year. Hate is a strong word - and is out of place here. Frustrated is a better description. To basically blame the entire offense and coaching staff for the average play of an average QB is, well, frustrating.
    Well said. In smiths 9 year career he has never had a wr or te go over 1000 yards of receiving. If that doesn't scream average if not below average in a league that favors the passing game heavy I dont know what does. And for those of you who think if we take a wr in the first round(which I dont oppose) and this is going to be fixed think again. Or if any top notch free agent wr is going to want any part of that pie think again

Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast