Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Explaining my frustration with the QB hate.

Default Explaining my frustration with the QB hate.

This has sort of become my hot button issue when it comes to the Chiefs. And I thought I would attempt to explain why I feel so strongly about it. In a lot of ways it doesn't have much to do with the people on a forum saying it. Hey at the end of the day we are all just people giving an opinion.

It has more to do with the fact that this is the constant approach this franchise has seemed to have taken for the past nearly 10 years. Like I have said over and over again Since Bowe was drafted the WR core has been Bowe and a lot of below average guys and they have just hoped that it will work. IT HASN'T IT'S NOT GOING TO SUDDENLY START working.

The ZERO depth at WR could not be made more clear then week 1 this year. There should be ZERO conditions for a NFL team that Frankie Hammond Jr is a starting WR. ZERO. But that's what we saw. It's what we have given QB after QB. This is not a new thing for this team. Its choices of WR haven't been great. You can go WAY back for that. With the likes of Sammie Parker (who was ok at best) This is why I am so frustrated about this issue.

A couple of years ago when My Man Hali was here he had a saying about the definition of insanity being
    Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.
    That's what you can say about the talent on offense this team has built over the past decade. IT HAS TO CHANGE or they will never get any further the one and done IMO.

The good news is there is some hope currently on the roster DAT has shown he could become a good weapon. The deep past what got me excited was he actually made an adjustment on the ball. That's a good sign. Albert Wilson also showed some hope. He didn't play a lot early I wonder what could have happened if he was actually able to play throughout the season. If he could have made progress going forward.

My frustration doesn't come from some love for Alex Smith. I took the same heat for Cassel. My frustration comes from being tired of seeing the same thing repeated with QB after QB after QB. I was very open to the QB change and hope it would change for the first handful but after seeing as many as we have seen come through you have to ask yourself has the problem been this franchise is setting a QB up to fail? IMO the answer is a loud YES.
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Quote Originally Posted by Bike View Post
    The title of this thread is misleading. I don't hate Smith. Most here don't hate Smith. We went to the playoffs with him last year and had a winning season with him this year. Hate is a strong word - and is out of place here. Frustrated is a better description. To basically blame the entire offense and coaching staff for the average play of an average QB is, well, frustrating.
    Quote Originally Posted by slc chief View Post
    Well said. In smiths 9 year career he has never had a wr or te go over 1000 yards of receiving. If that doesn't scream average if not below average in a league that favors the passing game heavy I dont know what does. And for those of you who think if we take a wr in the first round(which I dont oppose) and this is going to be fixed think again. Or if any top notch free agent wr is going to want any part of that pie think again
    SLC Chief's response is why I think the term haters is right.

The first line is something Smith Critics ( I will refrain from the haters term here) love to do. They love to post stats and numbers like the offensive passing rankings ECT. But the very moment you can post numbers showing how others around the QB are not doing there job this is the responses you will get
    A. You're making an excuse
    B. Blame the QB somehow
    C. "every team has dropped passes" Well yes but every Qb misses throws sometimes If I were to say that it would go back to the Excuse line.

Anther example of this was Smith was somehow blamed for the running game being limited. I replied with fact that's because they are running the ball far less then before Reid was the coach. When you are running the ball less why would you expect the numbers to do anything but drop? Again this was somehow just and excuse.

When you refuse to accept anything that doesn't point the blame at one person or just label those factors as "excuses" IMO that means your just hating on that person. That's why I believe the term haters fits.That's just my opinion

I think Stevie Ray was correct when he says the difference is really in how we judge the importance of the QB spot really. Some it seems think that the QB should just be able to overcome the mistakes of others even when they are failing at a higher rated then anyone in the NFL over the last 2 years.I just don't understand that logic. But I guess I can learn to agree to disagree
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Let me just throw one more thing out there to show how the team around Alex was failing and this has nothing to do with him.

Alex is one of 2 QBs in the entire league that was responsible for under 50% of his teams turnovers (Romo was the other)

So you have a team with guys around the QB turning the ball over. And dropping passes at a much higher rate then anyone in the NFL. (For those wondering Dallas was dead last in drop % or 1st depending on how you look at it) I don't see how anyone can say that It was QB play limiting this offense. But that's the last I will say about it.
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Dude face it alex smith is not the hero thats in your wet dreams

Quote Originally Posted by slc chief View Post
    Dude face it alex smith is not the hero thats in your wet dreams
    Yeah that's real mature to say...like a kid with no decent reply

Lots has been said about Alex Smith here. I'm not going to say much more as I've pretty much said what I have to say. But I will summarize how I feel about Alex.

Right now Alex Smith is our starting QB because our Head Coach thinks he's the best option we have. Alex Smith is also the QB who got us 2 back-to-back winning seasons in a row for the first time since 2005/2006. He also led us to our best record since 2003. I just can't bring myself to complain too much about that.

But in the end, I am first, last and always a Chiefs fan so I will support Alex Smith until he proves to me that he is a complete idiot or until our Head Coach decides we have a better option at QB. Until then.......GO ALEX!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    I don't see how anyone can say that It was QB play limiting this offense.
    When you're playing against a QB that has the majority of his passes go 10 yards or less, you can stack the box, this hurts the running game as well. Did SF lose that NFC title game to NY because of the kick returner, the offense going 1 for 9 on 3rd downs or both? If you don't pick both, then you are just hating on smith or you really are trying to defend a guy just because he's the chiefs QB.

Let me just throw one more thing out there to show how the team around Alex was failing and this has nothing to do with him.

Alex is one of 2 QBs in the entire league that was responsible for under 50% of his teams turnovers (Romo was the other)

So you have a team with guys around the QB turning the ball over. And dropping passes at a much higher rate then anyone in the NFL. (For those wondering Dallas was dead last in drop % or 1st depending on how you look at it) I don't see how anyone can say that It was QB play limiting this offense. But that's the last I will say about it.
    You may not want to compare Smith to Romo, as Romo is not a great qb imo, but he did manage to throw 33 touchdowns to 4 different wide receivers. That would be 33 more then your idle, Mr. Alex Smith.

Numbers can be twisted to fit anyones theory. Just saying....

Quote Originally Posted by 70 chiefsfan70 View Post
    You may not want to compare Smith to Romo, as Romo is not a great qb imo, but he did manage to throw 33 touchdowns to 4 different wide receivers. That would be 33 more then your idle, Mr. Alex Smith.

Numbers can be twisted to fit anyones theory. Just saying....
    I agree 100% with this and that was actually something I was trying to show with that post.

You can pull this offensive ranking or that one this stat or that one but unless you're willing to show all the numbers IMO that's just not a fair view of things. The post you mentioned was definitely a reach but it shows that if you look hard enough you can make any argument really.

As for Smith being my idle well that's simply not the case. Again I invite you or anyone to go back to this past offseason I was so pumped for the Aaron Murray pick. I was kind of going on about him like Myman was Geno a couple years ago. But I understand that players 99% of the time don't just come in and play like all pros. Building talent is something that you have to be patient with. My whole point has been this whole time I've said it time and time again BUILD an offense and see if Alex can step up this next season if not then maybe it's time we give Murray or Bray or someone else a chance. Not one time have I said Alex needs to be the guy going forward for years to come.
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

I agree 100% with this and that was actually something I was trying to show with that post.

You can pull this offensive ranking or that one this stat or that one but unless you're willing to show all the numbers IMO that's just not a fair view of things. The post you mentioned was definitely a reach but it shows that if you look hard enough you can make any argument really.

As for Smith being my idle well that's simply not the case. Again I invite you or anyone to go back to this past offseason I was so pumped for the Aaron Murray pick. I was kind of going on about him like Myman was Geno a couple years ago. But I understand that players 99% of the time don't just come in and play like all pros. Building talent is something that you have to be patient with. My whole point has been this whole time I've said it time and time again BUILD an offense and see if Alex can step up this next season if not then maybe it's time we give Murray or Bray or someone else a chance. Not one time have I said Alex needs to be the guy going forward for years to come.
    Well spoken Sir!

Quote Originally Posted by doobs_05 View Post
    When you're playing against a QB that has the majority of his passes go 10 yards or less, you can stack the box, this hurts the running game as well. Did SF lose that NFC title game to NY because of the kick returner, the offense going 1 for 9 on 3rd downs or both? If you don't pick both, then you are just hating on smith or you really are trying to defend a guy just because he's the chiefs QB.
    Let me ask you doobs was our running game hurt really? They were still in the top 5 in YPC. Then only way our running game was really hurt was we didn't run the ball as much.

And I here the talk about all the passes being short and that at least to me has a lot to do with playcalling. Go back to the first Raiders game they kept running screen passes even though Oakland was right on then. They kept doing the and they were designed screen plays. And as I stated the Arizona game even the commentator noted that no Chiefs WRs were running routes downfield. Kind of hard to be passing the ball downfield if there is no one down there to pass to don't you think.

Can Smith be a bit more aggressive with the ball sure.And I agree it would be nice to see. But a lot of the fingers that are pointed at him for that need to go more on the playcaller Reid. I mean when you are not even calling for routs down the field it's hard for a QB to keep the d from stacking the box.
    TopekaRoy is my hero!