Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Explaining my frustration with the QB hate.

Default Explaining my frustration with the QB hate.

This has sort of become my hot button issue when it comes to the Chiefs. And I thought I would attempt to explain why I feel so strongly about it. In a lot of ways it doesn't have much to do with the people on a forum saying it. Hey at the end of the day we are all just people giving an opinion.

It has more to do with the fact that this is the constant approach this franchise has seemed to have taken for the past nearly 10 years. Like I have said over and over again Since Bowe was drafted the WR core has been Bowe and a lot of below average guys and they have just hoped that it will work. IT HASN'T IT'S NOT GOING TO SUDDENLY START working.

The ZERO depth at WR could not be made more clear then week 1 this year. There should be ZERO conditions for a NFL team that Frankie Hammond Jr is a starting WR. ZERO. But that's what we saw. It's what we have given QB after QB. This is not a new thing for this team. Its choices of WR haven't been great. You can go WAY back for that. With the likes of Sammie Parker (who was ok at best) This is why I am so frustrated about this issue.

A couple of years ago when My Man Hali was here he had a saying about the definition of insanity being
    Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.
    That's what you can say about the talent on offense this team has built over the past decade. IT HAS TO CHANGE or they will never get any further the one and done IMO.

The good news is there is some hope currently on the roster DAT has shown he could become a good weapon. The deep past what got me excited was he actually made an adjustment on the ball. That's a good sign. Albert Wilson also showed some hope. He didn't play a lot early I wonder what could have happened if he was actually able to play throughout the season. If he could have made progress going forward.

My frustration doesn't come from some love for Alex Smith. I took the same heat for Cassel. My frustration comes from being tired of seeing the same thing repeated with QB after QB after QB. I was very open to the QB change and hope it would change for the first handful but after seeing as many as we have seen come through you have to ask yourself has the problem been this franchise is setting a QB up to fail? IMO the answer is a loud YES.
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

I agree 110%. The problem is not every QB we have had over the last 10 years it is the WR and/or OL. I don't think any QB in the league would have done much better with this team as it stands either Manning, Luck, Rogers, Rivers or Brady included. I am sorry but any QB is only as good as those around him. If Manning would have had our receivers he would not have thrown for 4700 yards in fact I bet he would not have thrown for 3500 yards and he would not have had a 101+ QB rating. Smith was sacked 45 times this year 4th most in the NFL that's not good and I have no idea how many times he was hurried and/or knocked down, I am sure they were close to the top if not that points to either the WR or OL. That is why are TE and RB caught more passes than the WR in fact 5 of the top 6 were not WR. Two TE and 3 RB both had more catches than the top two WR.

Quote Originally Posted by N TX Dave View Post
    I agree 110%. The problem is not every QB we have had over the last 10 years it is the WR and/or OL.
    Trent Green(04-06), Damon Huard (06-08), Croyle (07-10), Thigpin (10, people were backing this guy big time, I remember a thread saying how he was playing better than big ben. I did have a blast watching him), Cassel (09-12), Palko (2011), Orton (2011), Quinn (2012)..........you sure about that statement.

Matt has nailed it. If they don't improve the O-Line and WR core, then the QB is going to be screwed royally, regardless of who he is. You can't get around that.

Quote Originally Posted by doobs_05 View Post
    Trent Green(04-06), Damon Huard (06-08), Croyle (07-10), Thigpin (10, people were backing this guy big time, I remember a thread saying how he was playing better than big ben. I did have a blast watching him), Cassel (09-12), Palko (2011), Orton (2011), Quinn (2012)..........you sure about that statement.
    Trent Green was the last KC Qb to have an offense. Trent was not known as an "elite QB" but he played like one leading the Chiefs to have the NUMBER 1 OFFENSE in the NFL.

Trent during those years had a GREAT RB (priest) A damn good O line. The best TE to ever play the game. The WR core wasn't great but he had a couple of guys who you at least had to respect. (Kennison Morton Kennison more then Morton) We gave Trent an OFFENSE. When that went away during the last of Trents run he looked average. Alex IMO is a very close QB to Trent. Build weapons and he could do that same thing. We have failed to match that offense since.
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

wow that list is very depressing other then green. you could put every other guy from that list on the packers or donkeys this year and they would be 4-12.there is a reason all of their careers are over. because they all are below average. while they were here and after the left
    Last edited by slc chief; 12-29-2014 at 06:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    Trent Green was the last KC Qb to have an offense. Trent was not known as an "elite QB" but he played like one leading the Chiefs to have the NUMBER 1 OFFENSE in the NFL.

Trent during those years had a GREAT RB (priest) A damn good O line. The best TE to ever play the game. The WR core wasn't great but he had a couple of guys who you at least had to respect. (Kennison Morton Kennison more then Morton) We gave Trent an OFFENSE. When that went away during the last of Trents run he looked average. Alex IMO is a very close QB to Trent. Build weapons and he could do that same thing. We have failed to match that offense since.
    http://www.pro-football-reference.co...G/GreeTr00.htm He wasn't too bad, he was just getting older. But the other QBS, would you say they would of been fine with the right pieces?

http://www.pro-football-reference.co...G/GreeTr00.htm He wasn't too bad, he was just getting older. But the other QBS, would you say they would of been fine with the right pieces?
    Huard No
    Croyle Couldn't stay on the field so it really didn't matter but No
    Thiggy is an interseting one. I would have to say doubtful but he never really got a chance to develop he had a chance though
    Cassel could be ok under the right conditions of talent and coaching but Alex is better
    Palko HELL NO
    Orton could be ok but Alex is better overall
    Quinn NOPE
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Or maybe just maybe these qb's besides green just suck. And we shouldnt try to make excuses for them they couldnt hack it here or anywhere else.

Lets be honest. Take any QB that has ever played in the NFL. ANY ONE YOU WANT. And tell me how much better they would do than Smith with this exact same offense?

Certainly some would have done better, NO DOUBT. But I don't think ANY OF THEM would have gotten us to the Super Bowl.

Smith is a good QB. But I surely don't see him going to Canton.

But the fact is most of the rest of our offense SUCKS. Our Wide Receivers SUCK and our Offensive line pretty much sucks too.

Fix the O-line and our Wide Receivers and Alex Smith will become the most-loved QB in the last 30 years.

Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast