Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking at OL in the Draft

Default Looking at OL in the Draft

Since the season has ended, I have been looking at the various personnel that we could target in the first and second rounds. In terms of OL, there are not many projected to be worthy of a first round pick that aren't LTs (which I don't think we will be looking at). All of the guards, according to a couple different websites, are rated as 2nd round picks. Same with C, and there are a couple RTs that could sneak into the end of the 1st round. Obviously, this may change after the Sr Bowl and the combine, but I doubt it is going to send anyone from 2nd round talent to mid first round. This means it will probably be unlikely for a OL to be a good value choice where we are picking.

With this in mind, I don't expect the team to be looking at OL in the first round. They very well may grab one in the 2nd and 3rd, as there are often pretty good OL prospects available then, with the exception being LT. I'm of the philosophy that you should always pick and OL or DL in the first three rounds every year. You have 8 positions to fill in the trenches, picking one every year allows you to have a good rotation and depth in the trenches (which we sorely lack).

I'm under the impression that this front office is very fond of the BPA strategy and using FA to fill in holes. I would expect to see us making a run at a top name LG, RT and/or multiple WRs in free agency.

I agree with you thoughts I just don't see a mid 1st round OL, not too sure if there will be WR but one of the top ones may fall to 18 don't know, like you say until after the look sees we won't really know. I just don't know what is going to happen in the 1st round to many variables right now to know who will be a good pick at 18.

I don't know about top FA LG, RT and WRs, not sure how much money we will have to go after top tier. Maybe Alex will redo his deal to get more cap room to get better protection and WRs.

Dorsey is very big on the BPA drafting mindset.

I said last offseason what is going to be the deciding factor in if Dorsey works as a GM is going to be his drafting. If he turns out to be a good drafter he's going to be a very successful GM. If not then he will be sent packing soon.

This is a list of the current FA WRS Some might be retained by there teams and might never hit the market
    http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/wide-receiver/ I could see Maclin seeing he has a history with Reid. But I hope we also see them draft a WR as well
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

I would love to see Dez Bryant he is a monster hard to bring down and hands of glue, I have seen him make one handed catches falling out of bounds this year, he has made me say wow many times he is just a beast, but it will never happen Jerry will not let him out of Dallas.
    I would not mine seeing Avant coming back and have time to work with Alex.
    I heard Maclin said he wanted to stay in Philly.
    I would not mind Cole Beasley to much he has good hands and is not afraid to go over the middle.

What is wrong with drafting another LT? I know it is too early to completely give up on Fisher, but he is struggling and if there is any way to improve the entire liny by drafting a better LT, and moving him either to RT or Guard where he may be better used for this team then why not. Yeah Yeah, I can already hear the complaints about him being in the right position at LT... I just don't see it, but will give him one more year but still think if there is a better option you take it.

I know dorsey has final say but year after year reid led teams always either go o line or d line with his first pick

It surely has to be wide receiver in the first round this year, we can't make the same mistakes as last year and not address the position.

Devante Parker
    Jaelen Strong
    Kevin White.

At least one of those should be available when we pick.

Quote Originally Posted by Seek View Post
    What is wrong with drafting another LT? I know it is too early to completely give up on Fisher, but he is struggling and if there is any way to improve the entire liny by drafting a better LT, and moving him either to RT or Guard where he may be better used for this team then why not. Yeah Yeah, I can already hear the complaints about him being in the right position at LT... I just don't see it, but will give him one more year but still think if there is a better option you take it.
    I saw an article (or maybe it was a post in a forum?) that said when Dorsey was in GB, they had a habit of drafting LTs since they are generally the most athletic linemen and plugging them in wherever they fit on the line best. Like drafting a LT and the best guy gets to play LT, second best RT, 3rd LG, etc, etc. So it is not far fetched for them to draft a LT. I feel like it would be a waste though. Its too soon to give up on Fisher. I dont have high hopes for him to become an all-pro, but I think he can improve next year, and will also look less ****ty with a decent LG next to him.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis_Chiefs View Post
    It surely has to be wide receiver in the first round this year, we can't make the same mistakes as last year and not address the position.

Devante Parker
    Jaelen Strong
    Kevin White.

At least one of those should be available when we pick.
    I agree, there is no bigger position of need on this team than WR. Especially if we release Bowe as I expect we will on June 1. There will be a good WR available in the middle of Rd 1 and it is our biggest position of need. Sadly, more needed than even OL.

I can see the Chiefs taking Tyler Lockett in the second.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast