Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Looking at OL in the Draft

Default Looking at OL in the Draft

Since the season has ended, I have been looking at the various personnel that we could target in the first and second rounds. In terms of OL, there are not many projected to be worthy of a first round pick that aren't LTs (which I don't think we will be looking at). All of the guards, according to a couple different websites, are rated as 2nd round picks. Same with C, and there are a couple RTs that could sneak into the end of the 1st round. Obviously, this may change after the Sr Bowl and the combine, but I doubt it is going to send anyone from 2nd round talent to mid first round. This means it will probably be unlikely for a OL to be a good value choice where we are picking.

With this in mind, I don't expect the team to be looking at OL in the first round. They very well may grab one in the 2nd and 3rd, as there are often pretty good OL prospects available then, with the exception being LT. I'm of the philosophy that you should always pick and OL or DL in the first three rounds every year. You have 8 positions to fill in the trenches, picking one every year allows you to have a good rotation and depth in the trenches (which we sorely lack).

I'm under the impression that this front office is very fond of the BPA strategy and using FA to fill in holes. I would expect to see us making a run at a top name LG, RT and/or multiple WRs in free agency.

Quote Originally Posted by 70 chiefsfan70 View Post
    Nope!! No amnesia!

I do remember 9 and 0 start and then losing 6 out of our last 8 games including that playoff loss to the Colts where we blew a 38 to 10 lead. It doesn't appear the those "plenty of long balls thrown by Alex" got us a lot of wins. Maybe its you that's talking from motions.

Good QBs find ways to win games and that speaks or itself. I sure you wont find this type of discussion on a Seahawks, Pats, or Broncos forum.
    Those plenty of long balls scored us a lot of points, but one Houston and Hali went down our defense collapsed. So you actually think that playoff loss was Alex Smith's fault?

I give Alex Smith and the offense some blame for that, because really they played very poorly after thy got that lead. Obviously th defense collapsed with out the pass rushers. but smith is the qb aka leader and therefore deserves blame.

Yes it was Alex's fault he did not go out and take Houston's spot so he did not get any sacks. So it was Alex's fault and he only lead the team to score 44 points and not score 124 points to seal the win.

I detect sarcasm.....

Alex played a very good first half, but played poorly in the second half, you could say the defense lost the game for us, but they were also the reason we had a big lead, The defense forced 4 turnovers. Alex fumbled the ball and turned it over, that turnover resulted in a Colts td. so 44 points would have been enough to win had Alex not fumbled. Alex played poorly in second half. The only second half td pass came from a turnover where Alex started the drive on the Colts 18 yard line. That being said he had the best first half that I have seen him play. http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=340104011

I detect sarcasm.....

Alex played a very good first half, but played poorly in the second half, you could say the defense lost the game for us, but they were also the reason we had a big lead, The defense forced 4 turnovers. Alex fumbled the ball and turned it over, that turnover resulted in a Colts td. so 44 points would have been enough to win had Alex not fumbled. Alex played poorly in second half. The only second half td pass came from a turnover where Alex started the drive on the Colts 18 yard line. That being said he had the best first half that I have seen him play. http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=340104011
    They also had ZERO running backs in the second half. Both Charles and Davis were hurt in this game. Hard to move the ball with no running game. Alex was awesome in this game. I don't think you realize how horrible the offensive line played this game. Alex was under a lot of pressure and made a lot of plays. If there is any game to complain about Alex, this is the very last one I would look at.

Alex did not LOSE the play off game. You can still say he is to blame some, but only because it is a team sport and he is part of the team. He did his part in this game.

And IF you would have read my post you would have read where I wrote that Alex played the "best that I have ever seen him play" I only threw this game in because it was in the second half of the season. I don't pick and choose which game and stat I use.

The Chiefs had a ton of thing against them in this game, there is no denying that. But to put all the blame on everyone but the qb is just immature. Alex fumbled the ball and it resulted in a colts td. that's all on him. The colts could NOT HAVE WON without this turnover.

Again, even though you say it is the best game he played, your are Holding Blame to him for a specific incident. Again, there was no running game. The Colts were sending everyone against a very poor offensive line. Did Alex Fumble the ball untouched losing the game or did the offensive line not block their guy when Alex was trusting they did causing him to fumble. Was his receiver failing to get open forcing him to hold it to long. Was Alex holding trying to make a play that normlly he wouldn't have because he knew the defense was blowing the lead. If there was any running threat, would the Colts have called the same defense they did.

As stated before, they didn't lose that game because of Alex. It was a team lost, but the biggest problem from that game was getting beat for quickly and often with long throws from Luck. Lack of a pass rush and poor saftey play was a huge reason for that. I think the Chiefs were beat more times deep in that game alone than all of this year combined. Not the fault of Alex Smith.

Quote Originally Posted by Seek View Post
    Again, even though you say it is the best game he played, your are Holding Blame to him for a specific incident. Again, there was no running game. The Colts were sending everyone against a very poor offensive line. Did Alex Fumble the ball untouched losing the game or did the offensive line not block their guy when Alex was trusting they did causing him to fumble. Was his receiver failing to get open forcing him to hold it to long. Was Alex holding trying to make a play that normlly he wouldn't have because he knew the defense was blowing the lead. If there was any running threat, would the Colts have called the same defense they did.

As stated before, they didn't lose that game because of Alex. It was a team lost, but the biggest problem from that game was getting beat for quickly and often with long throws from Luck. Lack of a pass rush and poor saftey play was a huge reason for that. I think the Chiefs were beat more times deep in that game alone than all of this year combined. Not the fault of Alex Smith.

Yes it was a team loss. Its easier to win a game then to loose it when you are up 38 to 10, The biggest blame lies on the coaches, second in line is the qb as he is or at least should be the team leader, right?

The Smith defenders always want to use the lack of a run game to make excuses for Alex but when we have the best run game in the league they use the OL and Wr. The truth is the run game is huge for the success of a qb as is OL and WR. Good Veteran QBs find a way to overcome these weaknesses, or at least find ways to win the close games. Smith has not shown that he can. He has had 9 seasons to show us.

You only want to talk about 1 game, I'm talking about 9 years.

Yes it was a team loss. Its easier to win a game then to loose it when you are up 38 to 10, The biggest blame lies on the coaches, second in line is the qb as he is or at least should be the team leader, right?

The Smith defenders always want to use the lack of a run game to make excuses for Alex but when we have the best run game in the league they use the OL and Wr. The truth is the run game is huge for the success of a qb as is OL and WR. Good Veteran QBs find a way to overcome these weaknesses, or at least find ways to win the close games. Smith has not shown that he can. He has had 9 seasons to show us.

You only want to talk about 1 game, I'm talking about 9 years.
    I am not defending Smith in general. I am defending him in that one specific game. I was on the fence until that game, and the jumped on his side. Now, I am back on that fence. At this point in time, I am not sure if it is Alex or Andy Reid. Chase Daniel basically came out and had an Alex Smith type of game himself. I think Alex is doing what he is being asked to. I also think the Titans game was a sign of this. The Chiefs did come out throwing the ball around like it was the playoff game, and Alex got sacked, he got rushed and he threw interceptions and looked aweful. Andy came out after that game and said he didn't have the team prepared. The following week against the Donkies Alex threw for more yards than Peyton with dink and dunk game managing plays and was competitive. That style became the standard for the season that Anti Alex people are hating. Don't turn it over, take what you can get and kill the clock.

You know the team actually ended the season better than many predicted and had they not blown some games, they would have done very well, so I am not completely up in arms right now. However, the one missed pass to Albert Wilson for over 30 yards was a very poor throw and I think that one play may have had many people jump ship. I am not sure that is fair.

Quote Originally Posted by Seek View Post
    However, the one missed pass to Albert Wilson for over 30 yards was a very poor throw and I think that one play may have had many people jump ship. I am not sure that is fair.
    This also happens to be the play where he was drilled in the abdomen while he was trying to follow through on his throw and lacerated his spleen because of poor OL play. Not defending Smith necessarily, just wanted to bring the discussion back to the original thread subject: the OL.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast