Thread: Tamba Hali

Default Tamba Hali

If the sadbday comes where Tamba is not here. I would at least like to see him traded and not just released. I doubt we could get a 1st but I absolutely think he is worth a 2nd or 3rd round pick maybe trade him too the Detroit Lions to replace Sue I think we could get a 2nd out of them

Tamba has very little, if any, trade value because of his salary cap number. We aren't looking to move away from Tamba for any reason other than his contract. Any team that traded for him would inherit that contract, therefore he has little trade value. Maybe a late round pick but even that is unlikely. Best case scenario with Tamba is that he restructures his contract and stays a Chief.

In addition, most teams know quite well that we have a cap problem and will probably have to release Hali to get cap space to pay Houston. Unlikely anybody will give a draft pick for someone they figure they can get as a free agent. I'd like to see Hali stay if he will renegotiate his contract to save us a bunch of cap space. Being realistic, I don't think anyone is going to pay him what his current contract pays.

I agree with you I just think any team would be foolish to not want him whatever his salary may be

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefs4life24 View Post
    I agree with you I just think any team would be foolish to not want him whatever his salary may be
    I dont agree. If he were a free agent right now, I wouldnt even consider paying him what he is getting right now. The past two years his production has dropeed and he is playing through injuries (affecting his performance) for the last half of the season. If he is willing to negotiate for a contract that is only half his current cap hit, then I would keep him. Otherwise, he should be allowed to pick the team he wants to play for (hopefully not in the AFC West).

Lets not forget something.....

If Hali does not want to renegotiate his contract and we release him I would assume that Dorsey/Reid would ask him to at least allow us the right to match his best offer. He might agree, he might not, but even if we released him there is at least some chance that he might agree to re-sign with the Chiefs at a lower cap number after testing the Free Agent market if nobody offered him a FAT contract. I have to think that he knows he is approaching the end of his career and if it didn't cost him any serious cash he might decide it was better to play out his career in KC.

Hopefully he has put away enough money to live the rest of his life in style.

Quote Originally Posted by N TX Dave View Post
    Hopefully he has put away enough money to live the rest of his life in style.
    Or at least as comfortably middle class. Of course the stories of guys that made big bucks in the NFL and wound up broke are legion but from what I've seen Tamba seems smart enough to have avoided that. What he made this year alone should have been enough to have lived out he rest of his life in a decent middle class lifestyle. Certainly better than I have lived most of my life.

I'd love to see Tamba stay with the team until it's 100% clear Dee Ford is ready to take his spot. While I don't think the guy will get a huge contract, still think what will happen is that somebody will offer him one that's decent enough to go with.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchiefsfan View Post
    In addition, most teams know quite well that we have a cap problem and will probably have to release Hali to get cap space to pay Houston. Unlikely anybody will give a draft pick for someone they figure they can get as a free agent. I'd like to see Hali stay if he will renegotiate his contract to save us a bunch of cap space. Being realistic, I don't think anyone is going to pay him what his current contract pays.
    His base salary is 6.7 million. That is not out of the norm for a pass rusher of his age/caliber. He will have no problem finding a team willing to pay that. The other team isn't on the hook for the $2 million roster bonus. He will cost KC $9 million ($12 million total against the cap when you add in prorated bonus).