Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Rebuilding the WR

Default Rebuilding the WR

As much as I would like too see Jeremy Maclin he wants to stay in Philly, I doubt we could afford Randall Cobb even if Green Bay let him escape, I would like to see them gut everyone but Albert Wilson, and Jason Avant he provides an awesome teacher for these guys to learn from, De'Rick Rogers, sign Mark Harrison I think he deserves a shot, and build through the draft. We need to get 2-3 receivers
    Dorial Beckham, Ty Montgomery, Jaelen Strong, Rashad Greene, Nelson Agholor, DeVante Parker, Kevin White, Tyler Lockett, Sammie Coates, Justin Hardy, Phillip Dorsett, Stephen Riggs and Deontay Greenberry are all great options we need too draft at least 2 of these guys maybe more. I would grab a good pass catching TE in their as well to line up with Kelce and cut Anthony Fasano

Quote Originally Posted by Eydugstr View Post
    That statement is BS. Again, you said "in this town." If not KC, then which town was that? Foxboro? Minneappolis? Cassel was criticized from word go by fans who complained about his inexperience at QB, 60 mill deal, and Pioli's NE nepotism that brought him here.
    LOL, no dammit .... I'm saying "IN KC".

I'm not saying that there was a consensus "IN KC", or that every single "KC FAN" adored the Matt Cassel decision. Of course there were those of us who were skeptical "IN KC"; of course there were those of us "IN KC" that thought that the deal was a poor choice ......., but the sentiment "IN KC" after his first couple years "IN KC" was generally positive.

From the local writers, sportscasters, radio show hosts, bloggers, etc ........"IN KC" ........ we were just fine at QB. We just needed to put a "few more pieces" around him.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchiefsfan View Post
    Reid does spread the ball around more compared to the last few OC's we've had in KC (Brian Dabol, Weis, Gailey) so yes his number of targets are going to go down.
    Not really, but even if that were true, a higher percentage of Reid's playcalls are passes too, so it's really just a wash. There is absolutely nothing about the system or Reid's scheme that lends to such a dramatic drop off in targets to the #1 WR. Alex Smith simply doesn't utilize the perimeter passing game as much as most other QBs.

Whether or not Bowe is cut isn't the issue that I'm speaking to. I was only referring to the excuse that the system or Reid's scheme was the reason why Bowe went from over 9 targets per start to over 6.

Would happily keep Avant, Wilson & DAT.
    No doubt on Wilson and DAT. They're young, unproven and have upside. I just don't get the sudden gush fest for Avant. He is about as mediocre as it gets. I'm not saying get rid of the guy, I just don't think he should be mentioned on the list of guys that we need to keep. He's one of the guys that we know what we have with him, and it's not as if he's going to make the team any better.
    [U][I][B][COLOR=#383838][FONT=Verdana]Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.[/FONT][/COLOR][/B][/I][/U]

Stevie Ray.....

Would you please stop attributing other's words to me. The last 3 quotes you have attributed to me have been statements by other people.

You Smith bashers need to read this from Justin Houston and go argue with him also there were several times a WR could have caught some TD like AJ Jenkins who caught a pass was running down field with no one around him and steps out of bounds, I supposed that was Smith's fault and not the WR?

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2015/1...wl-free-agency

This entire board combined does not bash Bowe or the O-line as much as you do Alex. What you do hear about Bowe is that...
    I'm sorry you feel that way.

The biggest difference is that there is not nearly as much defending of Bowe or the O-line going on. The little defending there is of them is directly related to the negatives with Smith. If there wasn't the constant excuse making for Alex Smith, wouldn't continue to drudge up those negatives.

Just about everyone that talks about the problems with the Chiefs or where their biggest need is, they start with WR or offensive line. So let's not pretend that there isn't a great deal of bashing going on there. I'm not saying that there shouldn't be. They deserve it.

1) He's not earning the money he gets paid.
    Kinda tough to do when you're the #1 receiver and you're only being targeted 6 times per game.

And there was no Luck in the 2013 draft. So we talk about what we CAN improve this year. Not what we can't.
    There is rarely a Luck type prospect in ANY draft, and even when there is, you have to be Lucky enough to be the worst team in the league the year before (no pun intended). Are you suggesting that we wait around for the next opportunity to finish 2-14 and there just happens to be a Luck in the draft before we can try to upgrade at QB?

Besides, it doesn't take a Luck to upgrade from Smith. I keep trying to explain that the fundamental difference between your position and mine on Smith is that I don't regard him as a good QB. He's very mediocre, and there is no reason why we should be content with that. And if you're not content with that, you should be willing to at least try for an upgrade.

There were good QB prospects available in this past draft, but since we were already committed to Smith, QB wasn't the priority that it should've been.

And just to add a bit of reality.....It's not like improving the O-line and WRs would hurt some amazing QB we might get in the next year or 3. Even you would agree with that.
    Yes, and I've stated as much several times. I don't really see the relevance of it, because no matter how good the team was, or who the QB is, upgrading the players around him should always be an off-season priority.
    [U][I][B][COLOR=#383838][FONT=Verdana]Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.[/FONT][/COLOR][/B][/I][/U]

My bad ..... not really sure how that happened. I'll try to be more careful.

Quote Originally Posted by N TX Dave View Post
    You Smith bashers need to read this from Justin Houston and go argue with him also there were several times a WR could have caught some TD like AJ Jenkins who caught a pass was running down field with no one around him and steps out of bounds, I supposed that was Smith's fault and not the WR?

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2015/1...wl-free-agency
    Are we to expect Justin Houston (or any other member of the Chiefs' organization) to say anything negative about his QB publicly?

And sure there were opportunities for a WR to score a TD - just few and far between.

If we're "Smith bashers", does that make you a "Smith lover"?

I've really worn myself out this morning. I tried to respond to everyone's replies individually, but I probably would've done better just to make a post that would encapsulate all of it. I'll keep that in mind from now on, because I don't mean to litter the board.

I'm not bashing Alex Smith so much as I'm simply defending my position when it's challenged. I root for Smith to lead us to victory just as much as the next Chiefs' fan. I just happen to disagree with some of you on his skill level, the QB position in general, and the organizational philosophy when it comes to the QB.

If you want to get back to a strict conversation about WRs, I understand. I'm fine with that too. I say we start by picking up Leonard Hankerson in free agency.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie Ray View Post
    My bad ..... not really sure how that happened. I'll try to be more careful.
    Thank you. I wouldn't want to get the credit for something smart somebody else said.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie Ray View Post
    Are we to expect Justin Houston (or any other member of the Chiefs' organization) to say anything negative about his QB publicly?

If we're "Smith bashers", does that make you a "Smith lover"?
    No but he did say we can win the SB with Smith as our QB we need to improve the WR and OL which happens to be the same thing many of us in here are saying. If your QB, WR and OL are all C players and you can not upgrade QB to A or B what is wrong with upgrading the WR and OL to be B's or even A's. According to you we might as well not upgrade the others because we will still only have an average QB which will not get it done, if that is the way it really was we might us well forfeit all the games until we get an elite QB somehow.

No I am not a Smith lover and I have said so on this thread, but he is who we have right now no matter how much we complain and whine about it. I keep hearing you saying Smith is not a good QB and we need a better one, but not once have you suggested who we can get at this time that is better. I am sure there are about 24 or so teams out there right now that want an elite QB to replace their current QB, but the only problem is there are only so many elite ones out there, so a lot of teams are going to have to make do with an other than elite QB. You can not just wish one into existence no matter what you say.

If there is not an elite QB out there to get at this time what is wrong with taking an average QB and surrounding him with elite players in hopes that you can catch lighting in a bottle and then end up with an elite QB? Andy and John have got a rookie QB both years here trying to find the Arron Rogers but we don't know if either is yet. I would not be surprised if they got another in the draft this year. So I guess you can say I am a realist, Smith is who we have next year and probably for the next couple of years so why waste time complaining about it.

If you are upset with what Smith is being paid do not blame him, I never heard him say if you do not pay me I am going to set out. John went to Smith's agent and said here is this big contract even thought you are under contract for another year, so don't blame Smith for the money he is making, blame John.

Thank you.

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast