Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: The QB Position

Default The QB Position

Preface:

Let's see if I can start up a discussion about the QB position in general, and the cause/effect aspect of QB vs. supporting cast.

Frankly, I've grown a little weary of being viewed as an antagonist (basher) when it comes to Alex Smith, so I wanted to see if I could somehow depart from that and start a conversation about the residual impact, or lack thereof, of the QB on his supporting cast and vice versa.

Of course this will tie back into the discussion about the Chiefs' QB scenario as it stands, but I think it's at this foundational level where our respective views on the situation lend to our disagreements.

While the QB and the supporting cast need each other to function properly, I'm going to try to make the point that the skill of the QB effects the success/failure of the supporting cast moreso than does the talent of the supporting cast effect the success/failure of the QB.

I know that might seem a little counter-intuitive, but I believe that it is indubitably the case. Indulge me.
    [U][I][B][COLOR=#383838][FONT=Verdana]Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.[/FONT][/COLOR][/B][/I][/U]

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie Ray View Post
    The picture is much bigger than any particular play, game or situation. This is an issue that is historically consistent with this particular QB. It's not just a KC thing. Andy Reid has called plays with other QBs throughout his career, a guy like Dwayne Bowe has caught passes from other QBs throughout his career. The common denominator, as far as inferior WR production goes, is Alex Smith. IJS
    See this what gets you in Trouble with wveryone. You wont wven acknowledge the wr have blame as well. He point out several times the wr had a chance for td but blew it. I blame the wr not having one td on the recievers ciz of which was just stated. You dont think it effect reods play calling when he didnt trust the wrs? Now smith might not use tje wr like he should but for them not to have one wr td is on the wrs cu they had many opportunities that smith did give them a chance but couldn't find the endzone amd thats not on smith cuz the wr couldn't stay in bounds or fumbled the ball or dropped a pass.
    Imonly blaming the wr for not having one td pass thats all. Smith does lack using his wr alot but he used them enough to atleast give the one td pass.

Quote Originally Posted by jason1981 View Post
    See this what gets you in Trouble with wveryone. You wont wven acknowledge the wr have blame as well. He point out several times the wr had a chance for td but blew it. I blame the wr not having one td on the recievers ciz of which was just stated.
    In trouble with everybody?? LOL!! ...... such a funny dude.

Listen, OF COURSE THE WRs SHARE BLAME FOR NOT SCORING A TD! OF COURSE THEY HAD OPPORTUNITIES TO SCORE AND FAILED! It goes without saying .........

..... but that's NOT where the disagreement is. Nobody disagrees on that point.

Water is wet and the sky is blue, should we have a discussion about that too?
    Last edited by Stevie Ray; 02-25-2015 at 12:50 PM.
    [U][I][B][COLOR=#383838][FONT=Verdana]Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.[/FONT][/COLOR][/B][/I][/U]

See this what gets you in Trouble with wveryone. You wont wven acknowledge the wr have blame as well. He point out several times the wr had a chance for td but blew it. I blame the wr not having one td on the recievers ciz of which was just stated. You dont think it effect reods play calling when he didnt trust the wrs? Now smith might not use tje wr like he should but for them not to have one wr td is on the wrs cu they had many opportunities that smith did give them a chance but couldn't find the endzone amd thats not on smith cuz the wr couldn't stay in bounds or fumbled the ball or dropped a pass.
    Imonly blaming the wr for not having one td pass thats all. Smith does lack using his wr alot but he used them enough to atleast give the one td pass.
    What sums this up is this

In a thread addressing the WR position Stevie talked about how we must talk about the QB spot as well. When Stevie wants to talk about the QB spot it's a dodge to bring up anything else. It's one of the many handicaps that he needs to go on. It's pointless to try to have a discussion with him.
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Fact of the matter the only players let go so far this year, were two receivers. The #2 and #3 receivers on this team. Leaving only Dwayne Bowe, and a bunch of undrafted players who mean nothing to the salary cap.

I do believe this is clear factual evidence that the Chiefs feel that the receivers were more of the problem than the QB.

Quote Originally Posted by Seek View Post
    Fact of the matter the only players let go so far this year, were two receivers. The #2 and #3 receivers on this team. Leaving only Dwayne Bowe, and a bunch of undrafted players who mean nothing to the salary cap.

I do believe this is clear factual evidence that the Chiefs feel that the receivers were more of the problem than the QB.
    Exactly. Its not that smiths not an issue its that the wrs are the bigger issue.

In trouble with everybody?? LOL!! ...... such a funny dude.

Listen, OF COURSE THE WRs SHARE BLAME FOR NOT SCORING A TD! OF COURSE THEY HAD OPPORTUNITIES TO SCORE AND FAILED! It goes without saying .........

..... but that's NOT where the disagreement is. Nobody disagrees on that point.

Water is wet and the sky is blue, should we have a discussion about that too?
    Ok dont take me literally. I mean why you frustrate some of us.

Quote Originally Posted by Seek View Post

How so? It's a lot easier to jettison a couple of secondary WRs than it is the starting QB - paricularly when you consider contract implications and such. I doubt that the Chiefs are as petty as we are to sit around and talk about what percentage of the blame goes here or there. They just know that they have to get better.

Ok dont take me literally. I mean why you frustrate some of us.
    I'm logical enough to not argue about the obvious and/or things that we don't disagree on. Some of you are so hellbent on giving Alex Smith a pass that you can't see straight anymore.

Let's put this whole thing back into perspective: This debate came about because there are a faction of people who claim that we're fine at QB and the o-line/WRs (and even playcalling) are the problem -- which is where the disagreement comes in and why some of us object.

This debate is not being waged because fans are claiming that WRs/o-line are doing their jobs just fine, so don't request that we defend or even acknowledge that point of view.

I'm logical enough to not argue about the obvious and/or things that we don't disagree on. Some of you are so hellbent on giving Alex Smith a pass that you can't see straight anymore.

Let's put this whole thing back into perspective: This debate came about because there are a faction of people who claim that we're fine at QB and the o-line/WRs (and even playcalling) are the problem -- which is where the disagreement comes in and why some of us object.

This debate is not being waged because fans are claiming that WRs/o-line are doing their jobs just fine, so don't request that we defend or even acknowledge that point of view.
    Ok. I feel like qb is at the bottom of needs. That doesnt mean i think smith is perfect. Just that we have bigger issues than smith. Id really love to draft a hall of fame qb and root for him for the next decade or two but the qb is not the biggest weakness on our team. If we pass on a franchise qb then id prolly be upset but i dont think there is one this year amd i dont watch collefe football so i dont know of theres one next year either. Not sure if you noticed bit i have came to your side a little on my stance on him but i dont see him as our biggest weakness.

Ok. I feel like qb is at the bottom of needs. That doesnt mean i think smith is perfect. Just that we have bigger issues than smith.
    Not that the Chiefs don't have other needs, but considering the importance of the position, being committed to an average, veteran QB is as big an issue as any.

If we pass on a franchise qb then id prolly be upset but i dont think there is one this year amd i dont watch collefe football so i dont know of theres one next year either.
    We may have already passed up our shot at a franchise QB in last year's draft. The opportunities to draft a top QB prospect don't come around very often. You either have to be bad enough to pick in the top 5-10, hope for a deep class, hope that one slides down the board, or a combination of any of the above. See the problem?

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast