Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The QB Position

Default The QB Position

Preface:

Let's see if I can start up a discussion about the QB position in general, and the cause/effect aspect of QB vs. supporting cast.

Frankly, I've grown a little weary of being viewed as an antagonist (basher) when it comes to Alex Smith, so I wanted to see if I could somehow depart from that and start a conversation about the residual impact, or lack thereof, of the QB on his supporting cast and vice versa.

Of course this will tie back into the discussion about the Chiefs' QB scenario as it stands, but I think it's at this foundational level where our respective views on the situation lend to our disagreements.

While the QB and the supporting cast need each other to function properly, I'm going to try to make the point that the skill of the QB effects the success/failure of the supporting cast moreso than does the talent of the supporting cast effect the success/failure of the QB.

I know that might seem a little counter-intuitive, but I believe that it is indubitably the case. Indulge me.
    [U][I][B][COLOR=#383838][FONT=Verdana]Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.[/FONT][/COLOR][/B][/I][/U]

Defining my position:

There is only a limited supply of guys with the skills to read defense (pre and post snap), dissect coverages, anticipate throws, slide up/back,left/right in the confines of a small space, recognize the favorable matchup(s), manage the playbook/gameplan, and process a ton of information within the span of a few seconds ....... and still have the poise to make quick decisions in executing these things with utter chaos going on all around him ..........., yet still have the dexterity to throw a football with pinpoint accuracy to a given spot on the field.

IMO, the single toughest position in all of sports.

On the other hand, there is no shortage of guys with the speed, athleticism, and skills to be good route runners and pass catchers; or the size, strength, and skills to be good blockers. When you put a group of these guys together with a good QB, you have the makings of a legit contender, year in and year out.

A good QB isn't good because he has better talent around him than do lesser QBs. Just the same, those lesser QBs aren't inferior because they have lesser talent around them. Every QB in the NFL is playing with an adequate amount of football talent around them. The difference comes down to the QB having the skills to utilize the players around him to the highest extents of their talents.

This is precisely why the good QBs keep good supporting casts. It's a perception based on the end results. It's the reason why the player that surround a good QB over his career can interchange routinely, and yet he still performs at a high level.

It's because of the QB - not the suppoting cast.

A good QB will be good with whoever is around him; an average QB will be average with whoever is around him.
    Last edited by Stevie Ray; 01-30-2015 at 01:59 AM.
    [U][I][B][COLOR=#383838][FONT=Verdana]Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.[/FONT][/COLOR][/B][/I][/U]

Peyton manning couldn't throw the ball accurately with our offensive line. Our line was very depression this year. Wonder what Will Shields and Willie Roaf are up too these days maybe get them to coach the offensive line

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefs4life24 View Post
    Peyton manning couldn't throw the ball accurately with our offensive line. Our line was very depression this year.
    Peyton Manning has thrown the ball accurately, as well as avoided being sacked a ton, with virtually every offensive line that's been placed in front of him over an 18 year NFL career.

Ever wonder why that is?

Is Manning just lucky? [rhetorical question]

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie Ray View Post
    Peyton Manning has thrown the ball accurately, as well as avoided being sacked a ton, with virtually every offensive line that's been placed in front of him over an 18 year NFL career.

Ever wonder why that is?

Is Manning just lucky? [rhetorical question]
    Manning has terrible games also. He cannot deal with pressure. Put him behind the line we had this year and he doesn't make the playoffs. Football is a team sport, if you focus on just the one position and expect it to get you a superbowl then you are completely wrong sir. Defense wins championships. It's been proven time and time again. Defense is what made tom Brady so elite and it's going to help Russell Wilson become elite as well

Heres my take on our QB situation. In my opinion there is less than 5 QB's in the NFL right now that could have had success with our oline and WR core. In terms of success I don't know how to put it to scale other than being elite. A franchise elite QB is what every team needs. Our window of opportunity for success for our QB is so small. Assuming we all agree there is no QB in college right now that could have elite success with this team, there are less than 5 QB's in the world who could have elite success with this team.

So my point is that until we increase our window of opportunity for success by adding weapons and oline help. It doesn't matter who we put out there. With only 5 possible QB's in the world, It would be like winning the mega million to find one of those QBs.

I don't think we can close the books on Smith until we give him a real shot with real players aroud him.

Its Clear. The Answer is Both.... It is a team game. While Manning may make the offensive line and the receivers better, he still continues to flop in the play offs when a better defense takes his tools away from him and he is then forced to try and make plays.

How do you think Manning would have done in this offense with receivers who couldn'ge get separation for him to hit immediately as the offense line collapsed. Manning is smart and knows how to read a defense but I have seem him frustrated so many times when the throws a ball before a receiver is ready. It is just a matter of time though before a defense will mess up and he will take advantage.

Honestly I'm surprised Alex made it as long as he did before getting hurt

Quote Originally Posted by Justin5772002 View Post
    Manning has terrible games also. He cannot deal with pressure. Put him behind the line we had this year and he doesn't make the playoffs. Football is a team sport, if you focus on just the one position and expect it to get you a superbowl then you are completely wrong sir. Defense wins championships. It's been proven time and time again. Defense is what made tom Brady so elite and it's going to help Russell Wilson become elite as well
    Football is a team sport -- goes without saying.

Yes, everyone is capable of having bad games -- irrelevant to the point at hand.

Defense wins championships -- antiquated, grid-iron cliche.

Defense is what made Tom Brady so elite -- absolutely ridiculous, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by CabbageHATCHkid View Post
    In my opinion there is less than 5 QB's in the NFL right now that could have had success with our oline and WR core.
    I disagree, but be that as it may .......... if any of those 5 QBs were indeed in KC, the perception of our current receivers and O-line would be completely different. We would not view them right now as being such a terrible group. That doesn't mean that we wouldn't still look to upgrade in whatever areas we can. That's something that every team should do irrespective of who the QB is.

If I'm understanding your logic and the conclusions you draw from it, you're saying that there's really only 5 QBs out there that can have success with any supporting cast. But I doubt that any QB could have the same success with the 5 supporting casts of those 5 QBs that you're referencing.

In other words, putting Kaepernick (for example) with Peyton Manning's supporting cast isn't going to make Kaepernick a better QB. It will instead cause Denver's supporting cast to be perceived to be not as good.

This all kinda speaks to my point.

The talent and skill of the QB goes a long ways into the effectiveness of his supporting cast. A good QB will cause his supporting cast to look good, an average QB will cause his supporting cast to look average.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast