Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Randall Cobb Worth

Default Randall Cobb Worth

Bleacher Report says Randall Cobb is searching for a deal worth 9 million annually.

Jeremy Maclin has said to be wanting 10 million annually

What do you guys think???
    I think that may be hard for us to find

Quote Originally Posted by N TX Dave View Post
    Those are the numbers above the cap put out, usually dead money is dead no matter what cut, trade or restructure.
    I remember reading that because of his suspension, the guarantees in his contract become no longer guaranteed. That having been said, I'm not sure if that 9 mil represents his guaranteed money, or his signing bonus that is spread out over his contract. I have a feeling based in the details I'm reading about his contract on spotrac.com that that money is his signing bonus and thus it would still be on our cap if he was cut.

Quote Originally Posted by jap1 View Post
    I remember reading that because of his suspension, the guarantees in his contract become no longer guaranteed. That having been said, I'm not sure if that 9 mil represents his guaranteed money, or his signing bonus that is spread out over his contract. I have a feeling based in the details I'm reading about his contract on spotrac.com that that money is his signing bonus and thus it would still be on our cap if he was cut.
    That is the way I am reading also, dead money is money that has already been paid and spread out over two or more years, that is why cutting him after Jun 1 the dead money is less and savings more but half of the dead money will be moved to the 2016 cap hit which is why Brandon Flowers cap hit is still $4M and Succop is still over $1M.

So how many more years will it be before the new staff can get out from under the dead money of the previous staff

It depends on how much they continue to add. They borrow from the future to pay for the now. Any time you pay a signing bonus it gets pro-rated across the the contract even if the player leaves after one year, so the higher the signing bonus the higher the future dead money.

Of my god this cap stuff is confusing. I thought we only had a few dead money contracts left

Cobb and Jordy scare me for WR if they walk from GB. Greg Jennings said later to GB and sucked in Minn. How much of jordy and Cobb being great WR is from Aaron being a great QB

Probably about half our cap this year is dead money if cut before jun 1, but if we keep the players it is okay because it is their salary. If the cuts come after Jun 15 it would fall to about ten percent. Man am I ever glad I do not have to try and manage all this cap-economics for the team, I have found out more than I ever wanted to know about it reading the last two days.

doobs I agree with you especially for what they are asking and you know with our QB they would be wasted so why try.

Quote Originally Posted by doobs_05 View Post
    Cobb and Jordy scare me for WR if they walk from GB. Greg Jennings said later to GB and sucked in Minn. How much of jordy and Cobb being great WR is from Aaron being a great QB
    Yeah, I'm always leery of WRs who come from an elite QB. Guys like Rodgers, Brady, Manning and Brees can make WRs look a lot better than they really are. Another example is Randy Moss. He was almost out of the league before he went to NE, but was a superstar there. Then when he left he was garbage again. Some of that was motivation, but a lot of that comes from being with an elite QB. I'd prefer a WR who was a stud with a good-average QB. Those guy's flaws probably aren't hidden by their QB's skill set. Yon are getting exactly what you see. And if they were a stud without an elite QB, then those are the ones worth 10+ million dollars/yr.

It's all probably moot though. Unless the cap is a lot higher than the $142mil they are expecting, or we do some crazy cap friendly contract with Houston, we won't have the money for any big name WR. We may have money for a top tier OG or OT, but not a top tier WR.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12