Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 65

Thread: I wish this guy would leave KC...

  1. #1
    Member Since
    Sep 2007
    Location
    RIGHT NEXT TO ARROWHEAD!
    Posts
    18,752
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default I wish this guy would leave KC...


    0 Not allowed!
    Holmes' selfish ways have hurt the Chiefs

    By JASON WHITLOCK

    The Kansas City Star





    According to my e-mail, voice mail, Carl Peterson and FOP — friends of Priest Holmes — I owe Kansas City’s 34-year-old running back an apology.
    According to my respected colleagues at The Star, local TV stars Jack Harry and Frank Boal and ESPN.com’s Len Pasquarelli, last Sunday Priest Holmes completed a remarkable comeback by playing against the Oakland Raiders.
    King Carl made a point to stroll by me in Kansas City’s victorious, postgame locker room and triumphantly announce, “Priest Holmes is back.”
    Back from what, quitting?
    Seriously, it gets old playing the role of bad guy, but someone has to do it. It seems like when it comes to discussing or analyzing athletes, we’re locked in this never-ending game of good or evil, hero or goat, right or wrong.
    Most of us are filled with a little of both. Priest Holmes certainly is.
    I’m going to clarify my position on Priest Holmes one last time, and then be done with it.
    I don’t dislike Priest Holmes. For reasons I do not know, I believe he intentionally tries to confuse people, particularly the news media, coaches and front-office executives. That is his right. For that reason, I believe virtually nothing that comes out of his mouth. I believe his actions.
    He quit football. Nothing wrong with that. He tired of the game, took an opportunity to walk away and collect a 2006 paycheck while sitting at home. I say he “quit” because his actions indicate just that. Players get injured all the time, and you can’t get them away from the game, the locker room, the film study, the fellowship with teammates and coaches.
    Anyone remember Trent Green? How did he react when injured a year ago or even this season in Miami? They carried Trent Green off on a stretcher, strapped to a gurney like a death-row inmate, and he was back in the locker room begging to play in a couple of weeks.
    Holmes? He walked off the field in San Diego in 2005 after absorbing a hit from Shawne Merriman. No one has ever offered a clear, concise explanation of his injury. Jack Harry, at one time, described it as a “tumor” for his viewers. Whatever, Holmes was never hospitalized, as far as I know. There was no extensive rehab. As best as I can remember, Holmes’ Los Angeles doctor prescribed rest.
    We’re not talking about Kevin Everett relearning to walk, Lance Armstrong surviving chemotherapy, Mike Alstott coming back to football after having a disk in his neck removed and replaced with a vertebra from a cadaver, Alonzo Mourning recovering from kidney disease.
    We’re talking about a hard hit, tingling in Holmes’ fingers, inconclusive tests and a prescription of rest.
    Holmes rested in San Antonio, away from his teammates and away from his employer. According to Holmes, he spent his time away from football connecting with his five children. Great. It’s good that Holmes wants to be a father to his kids. Many responsible men balance parenting with career demands and wife demands. Most good fathers would love to spend 22 uninterrupted months connecting with their children.
    I’m not blasting Priest Holmes. Trent Green should’ve retired last year. But don’t you think Green could’ve found a doctor to prescribe a year’s worth of rest to recover from his concussion, if he was looking for a way to sit at home and get paid?
    Now, sometime over the summer, the Chiefs tried to talk Holmes into announcing his retirement. Holmes declined, and in late July he announced he would report to training camp. Again, there was no clear, concise explanation of what had transpired to magically make Holmes healthy enough to play. Holmes credited a dream.

    I credit Carl Peterson. He basically told Holmes to retire or play. There were no more free paychecks for “resting” in San Antonio.
    I wish Holmes much success this season. A lot of people are rooting for Holmes because they’ve soured on Larry “LJ-Z” Johnson. LJ-Z has been a poor teammate. In comparison, Holmes looks like a good teammate.
    I’m not so sure. The reality is Holmes could’ve worked out with the Chiefs during the offseason and reported to training camp ready to contribute. Had Holmes been with the team in March, demonstrated he was serious about playing, participated in exhibition games, perhaps Carl Peterson could’ve dealt with LJ-Z more aggressively in contract negotiations. Who knows? Peterson might’ve pulled the trigger on a trade with the Packers.
    Holmes’ selfishness hurt the Chiefs. It can’t all be explained away because Holmes has convinced everyone he’s different. If that’s the case, then Larry Johnson is different, too, and we should all just accept it.
    We don’t have to accept it. The Chiefs have two running backs who allow their selfish tendencies to undermine team progress.


    http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chi...ry/331872.html
    http://arrowheadjunkies.com/pictures/PhotoShop/sig_pics/NFL_Players/kansas_city_chiefs/tyson.jackson/062009/tyson.jackson.500.png

  2. #21
    Member Since
    May 2006
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    9,149
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 27

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by DrunkHillbilly View Post
    Are YOU serious???? Pull your head out man!!! Reguardless of what Canada says, timsatt is right. It is unheard of to sit out for two full years, not communicate with your employer and still get paid!

    Herm, I am definetley not a Priest hater. I do however think he may have either intentionally or unintentionally held the Chiefs hostage. CP was reporting all the time that there had been very little contact with Priest during those two years off. If as some say, he really didn't care about the money and was all about the team, why didn't he free up that money and let the team use it? I understand the logistics of how the salary cap works 31 so before you start spouting the NFL rules.......

    31, how was I wrong about the guy? All I ever did was express my opinion about what I thought he should do. I still think he should retire! If his injury was SOOO serious that he had to sit out for two seasons, then there is a BETTER than avg chance he could do further and potentially more damage to his self now! Just like a post prior, guys get hurt all the time and they are back within weeks.

    You guys need to stop getting it twisted! I have said in the past that Priest is one of my favorite players. I own 3 of his jersey's for god sakes! I just don't think it was right for him to take the money when he obviously knew he wasn't going to be there for a significant amount of time! The team could have possibly used that money.
    Look. The team offered him that money, because they were aware of how cheap he had been for them, for several years. It was an attempt to make-up for not paying him what he was worth then. Nobody doesn't care about money.

    And, knowing how serious his injury was, that he may want to attempt a comeback at some point.

    I think it is absolutely unfair for you to criticize the amount of time that it takes to return from that type of injury, knowing that all of the "expert opinions" that you hold above all other opinions, said that it was likely a career-ending injury. How many times have you returned to the NFL from that kind of head/neck trauma? How many times have any of them? How many times has anyone?

    The idea that Priest was "holding the Chiefs hostage" is plain ******. ( I didn't want to call anyone names, so I editted the word stupid. Oops.) How were the Chiefs hostages? They couldn't cut him? At $700,00 he wasn't going to cause any major cap-hit, or anything. The Chiefs chose to continue paying him. They were in no way, shape, nor form prisoners of Priest Holmes.

    Bottom line. Priest holmes had a catastrophic injury and, after the doctors cleared him, returned.

    I will have to do the digging later, but didn't you sauy that he was only at training cap as a ploy to help CP get a bargain out of the contract talks with LJ? Do you think that he is still trying to get that contract lower? The contract is already signed. Is he really that stupid?

    Your opinion that he should retire is entirely justified. I worry for his well-being myself, and certainly wouldn't have blamed him if he did.

    But to suggest that he should retire, on one hand, then complain about how the injury shouldn't have taken that long, on the other, is a bit fishy to me.

  3. #22
    Member Since
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Posts
    1,852
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by sling58 View Post
    Nope free money!!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't see anything wrong with what he did, everyone would take 22 months off and get paid for it. If you say you wouldn't your lying.

    Get off his case already about it. My Grandpa has been drawing disability from the military for taking a bullet in the stomach in Korea, does he need to quit collecting his money just because he hasn't re-enlisted?
    Oh boy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Now we are comparing WAR HEROES to FOOTBALL PLAYERS!!!!!!!!! Get a grip dude!

  4. #23
    Member Since
    Aug 2007
    Location
    OKC, OK
    Posts
    3,715
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by DrunkHillbilly View Post
    Oh boy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Now we are comparing WAR HEROES to FOOTBALL PLAYERS!!!!!!!!! Get a grip dude!
    Just saying he was injured also. No one is more proud of my Grandfather the War Hero than me. I was just saying that just because someone gets injured doing their job doesn't mean they need to stop getting paid.

    Don't tell me to get a grip. Just cause I don't agree with you doesn't mean you can be an ***. My opinion is my opinion and I am allowed to have it.
    <a href=http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/5893/dthomassp2.jpg target=_blank>http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/5893/dthomassp2.jpg</a>

    Official thread killer I have heard.

  5. #24
    Member Since
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Read the name dumbass!!
    Posts
    13,343
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 29

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    If I suffer a career ending injury on the job, I am paid for the rest of my life. I tore my rotator cuff at work and was off for six weeks and I don't even have to tell my employer what is wrong with me and I get paid. If that injury results in surgery and I have to take two years off then I am paid to be off work rehabbing. The same goes for the doctor who makes $100 grand a year.
    The only reason a beer sweats around Canada is because he's decided it will be the next beer he drinks.

  6. #25
    Member Since
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Posts
    1,852
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    Look. The team offered him that money, because they were aware of how cheap he had been for them, for several years. It was an attempt to make-up for not paying him what he was worth then. Nobody doesn't care about money.

    And, knowing how serious his injury was, that he may want to attempt a comeback at some point.

    I think it is absolutely unfair for you to criticize the amount of time that it takes to return from that type of injury, knowing that all of the "expert opinions" that you hold above all other opinions, said that it was likely a career-ending injury. How many times have you returned to the NFL from that kind of head/neck trauma? How many times have any of them? How many times has anyone?

    The idea that Priest was "holding the Chiefs hostage" is plain ******. ( I didn't want to call anyone names, so I editted the word stupid. Oops.) How were the Chiefs hostages? They couldn't cut him? At $700,00 he wasn't going to cause any major cap-hit, or anything. The Chiefs chose to continue paying him. They were in no way, shape, nor form prisoners of Priest Holmes.

    Bottom line. Priest holmes had a catastrophic injury and, after the doctors cleared him, returned.

    I will have to do the digging later, but didn't you sauy that he was only at training cap as a ploy to help CP get a bargain out of the contract talks with LJ? Do you think that he is still trying to get that contract lower? The contract is already signed. Is he really that stupid?

    Your opinion that he should retire is entirely justified. I worry for his well-being myself, and certainly wouldn't have blamed him if he did.

    But to suggest that he should retire, on one hand, then complain about how the injury shouldn't have taken that long, on the other, is a bit fishy to me.
    Fishy??? What, I can't want him to retire because I would hate to see him do any further damage to himself while at the same time think that taking the money was wrong? Your title needs to be Opinion Police!

    Never did I say he was faking an injury or that " the injury shouldn't take that long". I also never said the Chiefs did the right thing either.

    Now if your opinion ( because that's all it is ) is that the Chiefs were trying to compensate for something they didn't give him in the first place, I can live with that. I just think it is funny to hear some people say ( not you) it wasn't about the money. Please!! It's always about the money!

    I simply think that accepting the money and not keeping in contact with the people that are paying you, keeping them updated on your status, keeping in touch with teammates that are obviously concerned about your condition and status and basically keeping yourself part of the team was wrong! IMO, by doing these things, he didn't even act like he wanted to be part of the team!

  7. #26
    Member Since
    Aug 2007
    Location
    OKC, OK
    Posts
    3,715
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by DrunkHillbilly View Post
    Fishy??? What, I can't want him to retire because I would hate to see him do any further damage to himself while at the same time think that taking the money was wrong? Your title needs to be Opinion Police!

    Never did I say he was faking an injury or that " the injury shouldn't take that long". I also never said the Chiefs did the right thing either.

    Now if your opinion ( because that's all it is ) is that the Chiefs were trying to compensate for something they didn't give him in the first place, I can live with that. I just think it is funny to hear some people say ( not you) it wasn't about the money. Please!! It's always about the money!

    I simply think that accepting the money and not keeping in contact with the people that are paying you, keeping them updated on your status, keeping in touch with teammates that are obviously concerned about your condition and status and basically keeping yourself part of the team was wrong! IMO, by doing these things, he didn't even act like he wanted to be part of the team!
    Have you even read anything about Priest. He doesn't talk to anyone. He is a private person. He doesn't talk to people for months. It's who he is.
    <a href=http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/5893/dthomassp2.jpg target=_blank>http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/5893/dthomassp2.jpg</a>

    Official thread killer I have heard.

  8. #27
    Member Since
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Posts
    1,852
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by sling58 View Post
    Just saying he was injured also. No one is more proud of my Grandfather the War Hero than me. I was just saying that just because someone gets injured doing their job doesn't mean they need to stop getting paid.

    Don't tell me to get a grip. Just cause I don't agree with you doesn't mean you can be an ***. My opinion is my opinion and I am allowed to have it.
    Don't be an *** and compare War Heroes to Football players!!!
    I have no doubt you are proud of you granfather as well you should be. I just get a bit offended when this happens. There is NO comparison!!!

  9. #28
    Member Since
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Read the name dumbass!!
    Posts
    13,343
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 29

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by DrunkHillbilly View Post
    Fishy??? What, I can't want him to retire because I would hate to see him do any further damage to himself while at the same time think that taking the money was wrong? Your title needs to be Opinion Police!

    Never did I say he was faking an injury or that " the injury shouldn't take that long". I also never said the Chiefs did the right thing either.

    Now if your opinion ( because that's all it is ) is that the Chiefs were trying to compensate for something they didn't give him in the first place, I can live with that. I just think it is funny to hear some people say ( not you) it wasn't about the money. Please!! It's always about the money!

    I simply think that accepting the money and not keeping in contact with the people that are paying you, keeping them updated on your status, keeping in touch with teammates that are obviously concerned about your condition and status and basically keeping yourself part of the team was wrong! IMO, by doing these things, he didn't even act like he wanted to be part of the team!


    ...or maybe a distraction.
    The only reason a beer sweats around Canada is because he's decided it will be the next beer he drinks.

  10. #29
    Member Since
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Posts
    1,852
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Canada's #1 Chiefs Fan View Post
    If I suffer a career ending injury on the job, I am paid for the rest of my life. I tore my rotator cuff at work and was off for six weeks and I don't even have to tell my employer what is wrong with me and I get paid. If that injury results in surgery and I have to take two years off then I am paid to be off work rehabbing. The same goes for the doctor who makes $100 grand a year.
    Doesn't work that way here!!! I can promise you that!

  11. #30
    Member Since
    Aug 2007
    Location
    OKC, OK
    Posts
    3,715
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by DrunkHillbilly View Post
    Don't be an *** and compare War Heroes to Football players!!!
    I have no doubt you are proud of you granfather as well you should be. I just get a bit offended when this happens. There is NO comparison!!!
    ok then if a drunkhillbilly gets hurt on his job and doesn't think he will return does he give up the money for his disability? I think not. You make it sound like Priest should have stopped being paid and got a job at McDonalds as the assistant fry maker in Alaska.
    <a href=http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/5893/dthomassp2.jpg target=_blank>http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/5893/dthomassp2.jpg</a>

    Official thread killer I have heard.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •