Thread: A gamble, BUT......

Default A gamble, BUT......

...a lot to gain if you score a hit with choosing this guy.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...calvin-johnson

Beckham-Green has as much upside as any WR in the draft. Don't know if Dorsey will gamble or not or maybe trade down and try to take him. Hopefully, from what is seen in the video in the link above that he's cleaned up his act, because if he has, and can put it together -- then he's the best WR in this draft. Possibly another Dez Bryant.

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post

Beckham-Green has as much upside as any WR in the draft. Don't know if Dorsey will gamble or not or maybe trade down and try to take him. Hopefully, from what is seen in the video in the link above that he's cleaned up his act, because if he has, and can put it together -- then he's the best WR in this draft. Possibly another Dez Bryant.

I agree that he has a massive upside and quite possible as big as an Wr in the draft. I'm just not convinced that he is worthy of a first round pick with all the good looking wrs in this draft. This is a great year to be in need of multiple wrs. DGB has been plagued with OTF issues and has not convinced me he is ready for the nfl. He has sat out an entire year and is passing up his senior year so he's really only played two years of college ball and he was suspended for several of those games. That being said it would suck if he ended up with the donkeys or chargers or even the raiders.

My concern with using a 1st round pick on him is how long is it going to take him to "undestand" the position at the Pro Level. Lets assume he is a saint in the making off the field now.

He hasnt played football in over a year, let alone played at the pro level. There is going to be a lot of rust to shake off. Additionally, he has to learn a pro system and routes. Im not convinced we have the coaching staff at WR or the players to help move him along. If we had a true #1 WR or even a solid undeniable #2, I would consider him because you can take your time developing him. I want someone that is going to be a little more polished and ready to go.

Also, a big thing in our system is blocking. Lets face it. We are a running/short passing team. That means we rely on down field blocks (by WR and TEs) to make plays happen. That is the main reason the coaching staff love guys like D. Bowe, Avery, and Hemmingway, because they sell out blocking down field. It is also a reason why DAT earned more and more playing time over the season (he was always downfield blocking when he didnt get the ball). How is DGB's blocking? I dont know, but I bet that plays a big role in whether he gets drafted by us.

I would rather trade away picks to move up and pick up someone else. After all, we have a ton of picks.

The guy has a LOT of potential.

The OTF issues are a concern - a couple of mary jane incidents and one with pushing an 18 year old girl down some stairs - but if he were to get his head together and decides to make a huge payday in the NFL...Watch out. A lot of mock drafts have him going to the Raiders early in the 1st round. If he somehow were to fall to the second or third round...take a chance and draft him.

I don't think they can afford to ignore him at all. But do your homework and make sure you think he will not be a problem before you draft him for sure.
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Quote Originally Posted by Eydugstr View Post
    The guy has a LOT of potential.

The OTF issues are a concern - a couple of mary jane incidents and one with pushing an 18 year old girl down some stairs - but if he were to get his head together and decides to make a huge payday in the NFL...Watch out. A lot of mock drafts have him going to the Raiders early in the 1st round. If he somehow were to fall to the second or third round...take a chance and draft him.
    I'd love it if they could trade down to the bottom of the 1st round and still get him. It might be we are seeing Dez Bryant all over again.

Then again, another guy to keep an eye on is from the same Alma Mater they went to last year -- Sammy Coates of Auburn. Good size and terrific speed.

This is a list of players they've had visits with so far:

• A.J. Cann, G, South Carolina (COM)
    • T.J. Clemmings, OT, Pittsburgh (SR)
    • La'el Collins, OT, LSU (COM)
    • Devante Davis, WR, UNLV (SR)
    • Jamil Douglas, G/OT, Arizona State (COM)
    • Devin Funchess, TE/WR, Michigan (COM)
    • Dorial Green-Beckham, WR, Oklahoma (COM)
    • Bobby Hart, G, Florida State (COM)
    • D.J. Humphries, OT, Florida (COM)
    • Ali Marpet, G, Hobart (COM)
    • Denzel Perryman, OLB/ILB, Miami (Fla.) (SR)
    • Wes Saxton, TE, South Alabama (EW)
    • Laken Tomlinson, G, Duke (SR)
    • Maxx Williams, TE, Minnesota (COM)

I'd love it if they could trade down to the bottom of the 1st round and still get him. It might be we are seeing Dez Bryant all over again.

Then again, another guy to keep an eye on is from the same Alma Mater they went to last year -- Sammy Coates of Auburn. Good size and terrific speed.

This is a list of players they've had visits with so far:

• A.J. Cann, G, South Carolina (COM)
    • T.J. Clemmings, OT, Pittsburgh (SR)
    • La'el Collins, OT, LSU (COM)
    • Devante Davis, WR, UNLV (SR)
    • Jamil Douglas, G/OT, Arizona State (COM)
    • Devin Funchess, TE/WR, Michigan (COM)
    • Dorial Green-Beckham, WR, Oklahoma (COM)
    • Bobby Hart, G, Florida State (COM)
    • D.J. Humphries, OT, Florida (COM)
    • Ali Marpet, G, Hobart (COM)
    • Denzel Perryman, OLB/ILB, Miami (Fla.) (SR)
    • Wes Saxton, TE, South Alabama (EW)
    • Laken Tomlinson, G, Duke (SR)
    • Maxx Williams, TE, Minnesota (COM)
    I wouldn't squawk a bit over Sammie Coates. Another two that I'd be happy with are Devin Funchess and Devin Smith. From your list it looks like they've talked to Funchess. Looks like they're focusing on O-line & WR's.

Wow! Call me crazy, but I just don't see it. DGB is about as overrated as any WR prospect has been in recent memory. He's a lot closer to Jon Baldwin than he is to Dez Bryant, IMO. I'd be more concerned with that than I would his suspect character issues.

What I've seen from him on the field is a kid that has made it to this level on size and physical tools, but not so much on skills.

I don't see him going in the 1st round, but someone will undoubtedly fall in love with his measurables and take him early in the draft. I just hope it's not the Chiefs.

With hard work and the right coaching, I think DGB could be a good NFL TE someday. Outside of being a weapon in the redzone, I don't think he has as much upside as a WR as a lot of others do. Maybe I'm wrong.
    [U][I][B][COLOR=#383838][FONT=Verdana]Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.[/FONT][/COLOR][/B][/I][/U]

I have mentioned it here before but my best friend played with DGB at Missouri. Said he was overall a good guy. Good teammate. Despite his freakish ability still worked hard in practice and was eager to be coached. So I wont agree with all your statements. The biggest concern for me like someone mentioned is the Domestic violence case. If that is cleared up and Dorsey does his homework I wont be upset at all.