Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New L.A Stadium

Default New L.A Stadium

It says the Chargers and Raiders are moving ahead with building a new stadium to share and either the Chargers or Raiders will have to move to the NFC

I wonder why the raiders would have to switch and not the Chargers?? Chiefs and Seahawks were in the same division who were the other two??

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefs4life24 View Post
    I wonder why the raiders would have to switch and not the Chargers?? Chiefs and Seahawks were in the same division who were the other two??
    The AFC West has always had the Chiefs, donkeys, raiders and chargers. Seattle was in the AFC West from '77 through '01. The bengals played in the AFL West for the last 2 years of the AFL and the bucaneers played in the AFC West in '76.

So we had 5 teams in our division?

Yup. For many years.

Wasnt Seattle an expansion team

Yes. An expansion team that spent 23 years in the AFC West. Their first year was in the NFC West, then 23 years in the AFC West.

This is my source.... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AFC_West and I'll admit that Wiki ain't the best source in the world, but I remember for sure that Seattle spent a good long time in the AFC West though I am not sure Wiki has the number of years right. But for sure, during the years that Seattle was in the AFC West there were 5 teams in the AFC West.

Wouldnt that be an unfair thing to have 5 teams in one division when no one else does? You have to compete against 4 other teams to when the divisio. Compared to others only having to comlete against 3 which secures a playoff spot.

On January 3, 1976, Jack Patera, who had been a Minnesota assistant coach, was named the team's first head coach. The Seahawks finished 2-12 in 1976, when they played in the NFC, and 5-9 in 1977, when they moved into the AFC. The Seahawks had winning 9-7 records in both 1978 and 1979 and Patera was named NFL Coach of the Year the second year - See more at: http://www.profootballhof.com/histor...ranchise_id=29

Quote Originally Posted by jason1981 View Post
    Wouldnt that be an unfair thing to have 5 teams in one division when no one else does? You have to compete against 4 other teams to when the divisio. Compared to others only having to comlete against 3 which secures a playoff spot.
    Perhaps so. But it happened before so there is no precedent to keep it from happening again.

I thought I read somewhere that two teams sharing a stadium cant be is the same division per nfl rules. I also read that the seahawks could be coming back. I'm looking for the article now.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast