Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Alex Smith

Default Alex Smith

He catches a lot of heat on this board and on 810. People say he sucks he is worthless not a good QB doesn't throw the deep ball all these things. My take is that Smith is a very serviceable QB. He is by no means a Brady, Brees, Rodgers type of QB. But he is also by no means a Geno Smith, Jake Locker, Rams QB (whoever it might be that week), Hoyer.

We did not win the lottery with the Smith trade, but It wasn't a bad trade. Smith needs help around him. We knew that when we traded for him. We have just done a poor job of adding talent aroun him. If Smith was on the Seahawks right now and we had taken Wilson instead of Stephenson they would be a similar team and our opinion of Wilson would be very different.

Without giving Smith time and options we cant expect much fromhim. We have a solid D and a good run game . Get playmakers on offense and oline and our perception of Smith will change

in before

Stevie Ray "Alex is not good"

Other posters "Alex is not great, but good"

Stevie Ray "Not top 8, need to look for QB"

Other Posters "no other choice out there, pieces around him suck"

Stevie ray "(post numbers showing Alex has always had high sacks, low WR numbers) he's not that good"

Other posters "(post number of low INTs and winning % since Harbaugh came to SF) Dude you don't know what you're saying"

Steve Ray "Alex is bad and upgrading the supporting cast may not change anthing"

Other posters "yes alex is bad BUT it's not his fault (go on giving excuses to why alex should never be blamed"

Me "Everyone on offense sucked, playcalling was terrible"

/thread

Also, way to put the blame on everyone except Alex

Alex Smith is nowhere near as bad as some say......and nowhere near as good as any of us wish he was.

But he's what we have right now and we should do all we can to provide him with the pieces that will make him look as good as he is capable of looking.

I think the debate comes down to your opinion of what a QB can do and how important the position is. Some think that every QB should be able to make the team better. I believe this is the opinion of those that dont like Smith. In my opinion (and I would wager that many others agree with it), a Qb is very important, but unless they are one of the four(?) elite QBs, they arent going to make the rest of the team better.

However, only an elite QB can really make the team around them look better. They will hide their teammates weaknesses and bring up the level of play around them.

Bad QBs will make their supporting cast look bad. They highlight the weaknesses of players around them and bring everyone's play down.

Good and average QBs will make their teammates look like what they are. They will allow talented players to show their abilities, but also wont hide all of their weaknesses. Their surrounding talent will look exactly like what they are. Good coaching can help to hide the weaknesses of the QB and the rest of the offense.

I feel Smith is in the middle category. He is not elite (there are only 4 QBs in the league who meet that mark in my opinion), but he is not bad, either. He has his weaknesses, yes, like many other QBs in the league that are considered "great." If an elite QB comes available, I wont hesitate to dump Smith in a heartbeat (sorry bud), but until that time comes, build a team around the QB. If next year the Packers decide they want to cut Rodgers, sure go after him. We will be even BETTER with an elite QB AND a talented offense around him.

The difference of opinions is why I dont really engage in the QB talk. I think it is a moot point until a better option comes along. And I dont think there is a better option than Smith.
    Last edited by jap1; 02-23-2015 at 03:14 PM.

First off your post does nothing to contribute to the thread. So I appreciate your insight. To address me not putting any blame on Smith, I agree the post came off as though he is without blame. Do I think Alex needs to nut up and throw the deep ball atleast once in a blue moon, absolutely. Do I think he needs to be less risk adverse and take chances every now and then, without a doubt. a recipe to convert 3rd and long is not check down and hope they make a play.

However with all that being said, would Alex throw the deep ball more if he had time and receivers open down field. My point from the initial thread is that we need to give Alex a chance before we close the book on him. He is an average to above average QB. Those guys need people around him.

A slightly above average QB, nothing more nothing less. Consistent but very rarely great, pretty much what was expected when we traded for him.

Anyone who says he's terrible are talking rubbish but on the other hand so are the people who claim he is great.

AMAZING!!! An Alex Smith thread where most people agree so far!

Personally, I like Alex Smith....

I like him for who he isn't--Matt Cassel, Orton and a whole host of other Chiefs QBs that have come and gone over the years.

I like him for being willing to take off with the ball when need be. I've always liked that in a QB going back to the Roger Staubach days in Dallas.

I like him for being a good teammate and not a selfish prima donna.

I like him for being careful with the ball. He's not going to turn the ball over a lot. That's a good thing.

I like him for being a "good citizen". He doesn't beat up his wife or girlfriends. He doesn't get arrested for drugs, illegally carrying guns or DWI.

Yeah I like Alex Smith. I like him so much that I really wish he was our #2 QB behind one of the truly great QBs the NFL has ever seen. But he isn't, because we don't have one of the truly great QBs. That's a pity, but true.

But until we do have a truly great QB, I'm glad we have Alex Smith instead of a whole lot of other QBs.

It does seem like a good portion of the negativity regarding Smith is born out of sour grapes about not drafting a QB #1 overall in 2013, when their was no QB worthy of that pick. Get over it.

The Chiefs do have 20 wins in 2 seasons since Alex came on board.

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    It does seem like a good portion of the negativity regarding Smith is born out of sour grapes about not drafting a QB #1 overall in 2013, when their was no QB worthy of that pick. Get over it.

The Chiefs do have 20 wins in 2 seasons since Alex came on board.
    Exactly!!! Andy Reid holds the best record for 1st 2 years as head coach of any Chiefs coach ever and while I'm not sure about this, I think it's possible that Alex Smith comes pretty close for best 1st 2 years as a Chiefs QB. And I'm just not going to complain too much about that. ABOVE ALL, I want our Chiefs to WIN and while the past 2 years haven't been everything I could possibly want I really can't complain too much. Smith's first year we went from 2-14 to 11-5, made the playoffs and would have won our first playoff game in 20 years if we had not suffered a defensive collapse against the damned Colts. Smith's second year we went 9-7 and didn't make the playoffs but were "in the hunt" right to the end.

I WANT better results. But after years of misery I just don't have it in me to complain too much about Smith or Reid.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast