Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Alex Smith

Default Alex Smith

He catches a lot of heat on this board and on 810. People say he sucks he is worthless not a good QB doesn't throw the deep ball all these things. My take is that Smith is a very serviceable QB. He is by no means a Brady, Brees, Rodgers type of QB. But he is also by no means a Geno Smith, Jake Locker, Rams QB (whoever it might be that week), Hoyer.

We did not win the lottery with the Smith trade, but It wasn't a bad trade. Smith needs help around him. We knew that when we traded for him. We have just done a poor job of adding talent aroun him. If Smith was on the Seahawks right now and we had taken Wilson instead of Stephenson they would be a similar team and our opinion of Wilson would be very different.

Without giving Smith time and options we cant expect much fromhim. We have a solid D and a good run game . Get playmakers on offense and oline and our perception of Smith will change

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    Which, of course, falls back to what you were saying earlier about "build the supporting cast around the QB". And one more thing. Even after Montana had helped the 49ers win two SB's, they still traded up to take Jerry Rice right after winning the SB in 1984.

People are talking as though if the Chiefs build the Offensive talent around Alex Smith, that it won't make any difference, but how will anybody know for certain if they don't try?
    Exactly you have to try.

Quote Originally Posted by doobs_05 View Post
    Wilson has shown he can make the deep throws and lead the team back from behind. He does however have the bad record going against him when teams score over 24, like 2-5 or something higher (alex smith was like 3-42-1)
    Yeah hes only good when hes behind cuz he can scramble amd throw it deeep but when he has to sit in the pocket and just pick apart the defense he struggles. I think wilson is above average qb but a limited one. If ue didnt hqve legs to scramble he wouldn be any good.when he gets older and slower i dont think he will survive.

Which, of course, falls back to what you were saying earlier about "build the supporting cast around the QB". And one more thing. Even after Montana had helped the 49ers win two SB's, they still traded up to take Jerry Rice right after winning the SB in 1984.

People are talking as though if the Chiefs build the Offensive talent around Alex Smith, that it won't make any difference, but how will anybody know for certain if they don't try?

EXACTLY

Alex Smith has taken gone with a team further then any Chiefs QB in 20 years. Some want to again change QBS and say Smith is no different then any of the QBS that KC has had in the past decade but they ignroe things the Chiefs have done with Smith at QB that those other QBS never accomplished. Such as winning seasons in back to back years. A winning season not based on a last place schedule. A winning record against plus .500 teams this past season. He took the Chiefs closer then any of them to winning a playoff game. The fact is NO QB IN THE HISTORY OF THE GAME had ever lost a postseason game putting up the numbers he did that game. And it's Smith that's holding us back? Of course the response will be that it's a team game. But again we've had a strong running game with other QBs and a good defense with other QBs and they've never done that.

That's NOT saying Smith is a great QB or doesn't deserve some of the blame. He does have flaws but just like the arguement from smith bashers saying "well every team has dropped passes" Well guess what every QB including the greats have flaws. Alex just like them will have to continue to work on those things

I've said this before and I will say this again. The Kansas City Chiefs have done a piss poor job of putting talent on the offensive side of the ball. (YES THAT INCLUDES THE QB SPOT THE QB SPOT IS ON THE OFFENSIVE SIDE OF THE BALL LAST I CHECKED) Instead they have just pluged in QB X and said good luck and that has failed time and time again. It's time to stop that. It's time to actually BUILD SOME TALENT at the WR spot. D Bowe is a good start but it can't be limited to D. Bowe you need more. The going with the likes of AJ Jenkins needs to stop. To make my point even more The 49ers wanted something for Alex Smith (it's very reasonable to think they got to much for him) They pretty much gave Jenkins away think about that.

I think it's very reasonable to be sick of poor QB play. I am to. But you know what I'm also sick of hereing commentators break down a play say "NO ONE WAS OPEN" OR someone "CAME UNBLOCKED FOR THE SACK" I'm sick of it all. Until they actually put offenseive talent on the field that's not going to change. We have a QB who has proven he can go far with a team. BUILD SOME TALENT AROUND HIM . Then if he still can't get the job done I will be far more willing to say he was holding us back. Until then I just can't say that.
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

The idea of upgrading the talent around the QB should be nothing new. The reason why the WR's are the ones under fire, is not because of all the things that happened before the ball was thrown (play call, snap, decision of who to throw to) but because of the things that happened once/after the ball got there. The WR situation isn't a new issue.

But if it's all about the QB, imagine what this organization would've looked like had we spent $95 million dollars on Peyton Manning, or if we'd drafted a QB in '13 and then made them play with the same O-line and WR's we had then. Manning would likely have been injured trying to throw from behind Branden Albert (if he wasn't injured) and putting his faith in Bowe or Avery to catch the ball.

Lots of back and forth about how good Alex Smith is or isn't. Nothing wrong with that. But with the salary cap and Smith's current contract, Alex is our QB for at least 2015 and 2016. Not much of anything is going to change that except either a career ending injury or Bray or Murray going into a phone booth and turning into Superman. Meantime, Reid and Dorsey have proven they are always on the lookout for the Next Tom Brady. So I say......

And in the meantime, assuming that we will sometime in the next few years come up with a "Truly Elite Quarterback" what is wrong with spending the next couple of years making sure that when he gets here he has a top 5 Offensive Line and a receiver corps that scares the hell out of every secondary in the NFL? I mean really...is improving our O-Line and receiver corps going to make Alex Smith look bad? Obviously not. I don't see a sure thing elite QB in this draft, so shouldn't we improve the offense in the areas where CAN?
    Last edited by ctchiefsfan; 02-25-2015 at 04:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchiefsfan View Post
    I mean really...is improving our O-Line and receiver corps going to make Alex Smith look bad? Obviously not. I don't see a sure thing elite QB in this draft, so shouldn't we improve the offense in the areas where CAN?
    The answer to that is an obvious YES.

When I said earlier "The Chiefs do have 20 wins in 2 seasons since Alex came on board", that wasn't implying that he was the sole reason. It was implying that "it just so happens" and that he was a part of it", not the sole reason. It just so happens that the Chiefs swept the NFC East in 2013, and the AFC East in 2014 and Alex was a part of that. And it does raise an obvious question of would they have done that without him. I have my doubts, even though Alex wasn't the sole reason.

The answer to that is an obvious YES.

When I said earlier "The Chiefs do have 20 wins in 2 seasons since Alex came on board", that wasn't implying that he was the sole reason. It was implying that "it just so happens" and that he was a part of it", not the sole reason. It just so happens that the Chiefs swept the NFC East in 2013, and the AFC East in 2014 and Alex was a part of that. And it does raise an obvious question of would they have done that without him. I have my doubts, even though Alex wasn't the sole reason.
    That is the point I'm pretty much trying to make.

The Chiefs have improved SUBSTANTIALLY since the 2012 fiasco. We did GREAT in 2013 against a comparatively weak schedule. We did pretty damned good in 2014 against a tough schedule. We honestly should have been at least 11-5. The losses to the Titans and Raiders were just plain STUPID. And we should have won at least 1 of the games against the donks or 49'rs. A lot of that was Andy Reid at Head Coach and John Dorsey, but the TEAM did better all around and Alex Smith is a part of that TEAM.

I wish we had one of the 5 best QBs in football, but wishin' aint havin'. Wish I'd win the Powerball too. Know what I mean? So we have to put the best TEAM we can around Alex Smith because barring a miracle Alex Smith is our QB for at least 2 more years. Like it or lump it, it's a fact. And I am OK with that. Not going to see me calling for Reid or Dorsey's head because Alex Smith is our QB.

And y'know...I'm pretty comfortable that we are going to win some playoff games with Alex Smith. And DARE I SAY IT???? There have been some teams that won Super Bowls with QBs that were no better than Alex Smith. And they did it because the TEAM around them was great. So at this particular moment Dorsey and Reid's JOB is to put the very best possible team around Alex Smith. 'Cause like I said....he's going to be our QB for the next 2-3 years anyway. and whoever takes Alex Smith's place won't be hurt a damned bit by having a truly GREAT team around him.

So yup...I'm an Alex Smith fan. NOT because he is the bestest QB in the game or even top 5. But because he is playing a role in improving my beloved Chiefs. I remember a time when Chiefs fans EXPECTED to be in the playoffs every year. Even remember a time when I EXPECTED our Chiefs to make a serious run at the AFC Championship every year. But after all these hopelessly disappointing years I'm OK with one step at a time. Make us a serious contender for a playoff spot every year. Get me a few playoff wins. Once we have done that for a few years then I'll start whining if our QB doesn't look like he can win us a Super Bowl. But by then Alex Smith won't be our QB anymore anyway. All I demand from Smith is to help take us to the next level, not do it by himself. And so far he is doing that. I hope Alex Smith raises my expectations to the point where I think it is time for him to go if we haven't won a Super Bowl. But until then I am pretty happy with Alex Smith. Wish we were paying him less, but I don't see how we could have. Just wasn't going to happen.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345