Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Top five Disappointments this year from the Chiefs.

Default Top five Disappointments this year from the Chiefs.

Top Five Disappointments So Far for the Kansas City Chiefs
    By Chris Section: Campaign 2007
    Posted on October 25th, 2007

I'm foregoing the preview of the other AFC West games this weekend to steal an idea from Adam Teicher's video blog. Without further ado...
    #5 Justin Medlock
    Ah, yes. Justin Medlock. Everyone's favorite California kicker. Right now, Justin Medlock is chilling in Cali according to his Facebook profile. But, just a few months ago, Medlock was potentially the Chiefs kicker for an indefinite period of time. The job was his to lose. And boy did he lose it. We drafted him with a high draft pick for a kicker and now we can add him to the long list of KC busts in the draft. Normally, if you do take a kicker in the draft, you draft him and forget about looking for anyone else. I'm not missing Medlock at all.
    The blow of losing Medlock turned out to be not really painful at all with the addition of Dave Rayner. Even though Rayner has missed a couple of kicks, he is head and shoulders above the moronic Medlock.
    #4 Eddie Drummond
    Yes, I know we were spoiled with Dante Hall all of those years. But that doesn't mean that Eddie Drummond isn't horrible. Like Michael Bennett, Drummond is still living off of one Pro Bowl season, which he had in 2004 with the Lions. Drummond ranks 66th this year in average yards per kick return but thats ranking him with anyone who has taken at least one kick return. Even when you rank Drummond with kick returners who have at least fifteen returns, his return yard average is still second worst (out of twenty kick returners).
    This offense needs a short field to work with and I, like many people, expected Drummond to be at least adequate. Alas, he isn't and fans are looking to the waiver wire to snag someone, anyone else.
    #3 Brodie Croyle
    This isn't number one but it may hurt the most. Brodie Croyle was expected to beat our Damon Huard for the starting quarterback position throughout the off season. Trent Green wanted out of Kansas City partly because he thought the quarterback situation unfairly tilted towards Croyle. But, Brodie could not put together enough good series and games to surpass the veteran QB on the depth chart.
    Is he the quarterback of the future? Can Brodie Croyle start in the NFL? I was hoping to get these questions at least partially answered by now but because of Croyle's disappointing preseason, we'll have to wait.
    #2 Larry Johnson
    Every Chiefs fan had major expectations for Larry Johnson. Gaining over 4000 yards rushing in the last 28 games played will do that. Through seven games, LJ is on pace for right around a respectable 1200 yards rushing this season. For many though, this season is already a disappointment no matter what for Larry Johnson.
    #1 The Offensive Line
    Each year after 2003, I thought to myself, "This next year may be it for our great offensive line." Well, we held on through 2006 and hit a wall in 2007. To go from having one of the greatest offensive lines of all-time to what we have now is truly disappointing.

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/story/...0/25/1602/8155
    http://arrowheadjunkies.com/pictures/PhotoShop/sig_pics/NFL_Players/kansas_city_chiefs/tyson.jackson/062009/tyson.jackson.500.png

Quote Originally Posted by hermhater View Post

I'm foregoing the preview of the other AFC West games this weekend to steal an idea from Adam Teicher's video blog. Without further ado...
    #5 Justin Medlock
    Ah, yes. Justin Medlock. Everyone's favorite California kicker. Right now, Justin Medlock is chilling in Cali according to his Facebook profile. But, just a few months ago, Medlock was potentially the Chiefs kicker for an indefinite period of time. The job was his to lose. And boy did he lose it. We drafted him with a high draft pick for a kicker and now we can add him to the long list of KC busts in the draft. Normally, if you do take a kicker in the draft, you draft him and forget about looking for anyone else. I'm not missing Medlock at all.
    The blow of losing Medlock turned out to be not really painful at all with the addition of Dave Rayner. Even though Rayner has missed a couple of kicks, he is head and shoulders above the moronic Medlock.

Yeah, what a gigantic waste of a draft pick he was. No big loss.

#4 Eddie Drummond
    Yes, I know we were spoiled with Dante Hall all of those years. But that doesn't mean that Eddie Drummond isn't horrible. Like Michael Bennett, Drummond is still living off of one Pro Bowl season, which he had in 2004 with the Lions. Drummond ranks 66th this year in average yards per kick return but thats ranking him with anyone who has taken at least one kick return. Even when you rank Drummond with kick returners who have at least fifteen returns, his return yard average is still second worst (out of twenty kick returners).
    This offense needs a short field to work with and I, like many people, expected Drummond to be at least adequate. Alas, he isn't and fans are looking to the waiver wire to snag someone, anyone else.

Nuff said. He needs to be replaced ASAP to salvage special teams and give us a chance to move the ball.

#3 Brodie Croyle
    This isn't number one but it may hurt the most. Brodie Croyle was expected to beat our Damon Huard for the starting quarterback position throughout the off season. Trent Green wanted out of Kansas City partly because he thought the quarterback situation unfairly tilted towards Croyle. But, Brodie could not put together enough good series and games to surpass the veteran QB on the depth chart.
    Is he the quarterback of the future? Can Brodie Croyle start in the NFL? I was hoping to get these questions at least partially answered by now but because of Croyle's disappointing preseason, we'll have to wait.

I think we'll see him starting sooner than some think. CP and Herm have said repeatedly and adamantly that he will start this season. Some here have suggested next week. A home game against GB wouldn't be a bad choice and will really put his skills to the test. Start him the first half and if he starts blowing it, then bring Huard in the second. Personally, I think once they do start him they will stick with him unless he's injured in order to avoid any QB controversy. But we'll have to see.

#2 Larry Johnson
    Every Chiefs fan had major expectations for Larry Johnson. Gaining over 4000 yards rushing in the last 28 games played will do that. Through seven games, LJ is on pace for right around a respectable 1200 yards rushing this season. For many though, this season is already a disappointment no matter what for Larry Johnson.

I never understood the whole LJ "wears diapers" comment by Vermeil when that happened. Now I do. He's a big baby and if he continues to infect the locker room CP will send him somewhere else. The Chiefs don't tolerate that. We're not the Raiders.

#1 The Offensive Line
    Each year after 2003, I thought to myself, "This next year may be it for our great offensive line." Well, we held on through 2006 and hit a wall in 2007. To go from having one of the greatest offensive lines of all-time to what we have now is truly disappointing.

Makes you really realize what an impact Roaf and Shields had on the line now that they're gone. I think this is an area they should have spent more time getting free agents in the off season. Then they brought back Turley, who is consistently hurt and doesn't play half the games. That's a head scratcher.

This team needs to be energized. That's just another good reason to bring in Croyle. Bring the kid in and if he starts doing well the team will rally around him. Right now there seems to be a lot of discontent on the offensive side. LJ is not helping that at all.

#5 Medlock- i agree what a wasted draft pick taht could of been used on a o-linemen

#4 DRUMMOND- his special teams are really helping him out, so i wouldnt place the blame solely on eddie.

#3 Croyle-put him in already this is what you drafted him for! jeez, you would want to put him in at some point of this season....

#2 LJ- disappointment because of #1 IMO.

#1 The O-LINE- with departures of big will shields and big willie roaf, you cant exactly replace them with offseason acquiries and draft picks... and also the departure of t-rich... thats 3 big missing pieces of our once-so full of probowlers line.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by anaeelbackwards View Post
    #5 Medlock- i agree what a wasted draft pick taht could of been used on a o-linemen

#4 DRUMMOND- his special teams are really helping him out, so i wouldnt place the blame solely on eddie.

#3 Croyle-put him in already this is what you drafted him for! jeez, you would want to put him in at some point of this season....

#2 LJ- disappointment because of #1 IMO.

#1 The O-LINE- with departures of big will shields and big willie roaf, you cant exactly replace them with offseason acquiries and draft picks... and also the departure of t-rich... thats 3 big missing pieces of our once-so full of probowlers line.
    I bet he starts this week. 31, I smell bet?
    <a href=http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/5893/dthomassp2.jpg target=_blank>http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/5893/dthomassp2.jpg</a>

Official thread killer I have heard.

Quote Originally Posted by sling58 View Post
    I bet he starts this week. 31, I smell bet?
    I will bet you my house that he dosen't....we are on a bye this week!!
    The only reason a beer sweats around Canada is because he's decided it will be the next beer he drinks.

Quote Originally Posted by Canada's #1 Chiefs Fan View Post
    and with that you just won all of sling'z arrowcash! PAY UP SLING!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Canada's #1 Chiefs Fan View Post
    OK the game against GB then, you know that's what I meant!

<a href=http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/5893/dthomassp2.jpg target=_blank>http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/5893/dthomassp2.jpg</a>

I think that list is right on the money. No comment needed fro Medlock, drummond, or the o-line.

Croyle had his chance and absolutely blew it. What makes everyone think that he will be so much better against starting defenses?

LJ is sucking in part because of the O-line. However, his attitude and tendency to quit on plays drives me friggin nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    I think that list is right on the money. No comment needed fro Medlock, drummond, or the o-line.

Croyle had his chance and absolutely blew it. What makes everyone think that he will be so much better against starting defenses?

LJ is sucking in part because of the O-line. However, his attitude and tendency to quit on plays drives me friggin nuts.
    I bet that changes a little now that Priest is right behind him now. Well I hope it does.

Quote Originally Posted by hermhater View Post

#5 Justin Medlock
    #4 Eddie Drummond
    #3 Brodie Croyle
    #2 Larry Johnson
    #1 The Offensive Line

Medlock was drafted too high and became a waste of a higher pick than we should have wasted on him to begin with.

Drummond may have won the returner job based on the fact that he was a college roommate of Larry Johnson. Bad idea.

I would put Croyle in the "pleasant surprise" catergory. He is getting some irreplacable experience, by staying on the sidelines.

L.J. is no dissapointment to me. He is what he was last year, and the year before that. If he feels that he has a chance of getting some good yardage, then he put fourth a top-flight effort. If he is asked to do something that he doesn't like to do, then he is a scrub.

The offensive line has not been a dissapointment to me either. Roaf and Shields left, and we replaced them with a Dolphins Tackle and, basically, Turley/Terry. We have no depth, because we have ignored it in the drafty for the past two years, and we cut the little bit of depth that we had. They are what I expected them to be, just like L.J.

How about the top-five surprises of the season...

5. DEFENSE!!! I did expect a much improved defense this year. But they have definitely been exceeding my expectations, so far. Jared Allen has been the same beast that he has been for years, but now it is more evident, because his sack total is up.

4. Damon Huard. I think that he has exceeded my expectations, because I did not expect much from him. The fact that he is keeping Croyle on the bench is a good thing, in more ways than one. He is far from performing as well as last season, but still doing a good job, especially considering the elements that he has been dealing with.

3. Tony Gonzales. It should come as no surprise, as I know what he is capable of. But after getting neglected, to some degree, for the past couple of seasons, it is great to see his re-emergance this season.

2. Dwayne Bowe. Wow. This guy is awefully good. Can't wait to see what he does the rest of this year, then the next, then the next, then the next....

1. Priest!!!!! Not that he has done alot on the field, but is anything more of a pleasant surprise than the return of the Priest? Not for me.
    Last edited by chief31; 10-26-2007 at 09:53 AM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast