Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What do we do about Tamba Hali?

Default What do we do about Tamba Hali?

IMO this question is the 9 foot gorilla in the room. We need cap space BADLY. And dumping Hali is a quick and easy way to free up quite a bit of cap space. That said, I think we should make a REAL EFFORT to keep Hali and I think that if we make that effort we'll still be able to open up a lot of cap space, create a situation where Hali plays out his career looking like a major player (which I think he would like to do) and also allow him to retire as a Chief which I also think he'd like to do.

I'll make my case below and hope the guys here that understand the business of football will offer their comments.

1) It goes without saying we can't afford to keep Hali under his current contract.

2) Hali has said publicly he wants to play another year or two and is willing to restructure his contract to free cap space.

3) Without a doubt Hali is losing a step or two. He's not the BEAST he used to be.

4) Hali ain't dumb. He knows he is in the twilight of his career.

5) Playing on the same D-Line as Houston makes Hali look good. Houston is a MONSTER and enemy offenses have to put their primary focus on stopping him so Hali gets more opportunities to get after the QB than he would on almost any other team. That makes him look better than he really is and is a reason for him to want to stay with the Chiefs.

6) A MONSTER (Houston) paired with an aging BEAST makes for a VERY EFFECTIVE pass rush duo.

7) Hali will never look as good playing for another team. So if he goes to the market and gets some team to pay him big money he will get cut after a single year. He doesn't have it left in him to be "THE MAN". But he can still put up pretty good numbers if he is paired with Houston.

Of course it all comes down to the "business of football" but I think it is better for Hali AND better for the Chiefs if they work out a new deal that lets him stay with the Chiefs for another 2-3 years at a greatly reduced cap hit.

Your thoughts?

Ideally, restructure contract and keep him around a couple more seasons.

I'd rather have butterfinger bowe cut then have hali cut. While i'd like to keep bowe around as well i believe getting rid of him won't hurt near as bad as losing hali.

Quote Originally Posted by marloweopatchiefs View Post
    I'd rather have butterfinger bowe cut then have hali cut. While i'd like to keep bowe around as well i believe getting rid of him won't hurt near as bad as losing hali.
    I tend to agree with you, but the problem with Hali is that he is on the downside of his career. If he is our #1 pass rusher we're in trouble. If he has another "hit man" on the line with him he will look good for another 1-3 years. Much tougher to cover 2 guys going after the passer than 1.

But if we have to cut one of them then IMO Bowe has got to go.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12