Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Justin Houston

Default Justin Houston

Arrowhead pride says Houston could command 2 draft picks. Would you guys be able to stand you're ground and keep a player if someone offered 2 first round picks for someone

Can somebody explain to me the logic in using a non-exclusive franchise tag as opposed to the exclusive tag on Houston? I have to assume there was some sort of logical reason for doing it but I cannot seem to fathom what we gained by using the non-exclusive tag. Hopefully somebody here can explain this to me.

From the looks of it they are fine letting him walk in free agency. Apparently their is not a lot of difference in exclusive or non exclusive if we don't match or beat another teams offer he is gone but we do gain 2 first round picks but if we do sign him we get no picks

We still have to find 6.5 million to cover the whole tag for Houston so more cuts to come and that's if he even signs it. He could wait until week to to sign it but the report says he can't play if he does that cause he won't be under contract

Obviously next years 1st round pick would be unknown but for this year the pick we definetly need to be in the top 10. And we would have to hope for them to be terrible next year. If this talk about Houston holding out until week 10 is true we almost have to move him. Which is really a shame.

That's how it seems to me as also

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefs4life24 View Post
    From the looks of it they are fine letting him walk in free agency. Apparently their is not a lot of difference in exclusive or non exclusive if we don't match or beat another teams offer he is gone but we do gain 2 first round picks but if we do sign him we get no picks
    So...somebody please correct me if I am wrong, but does this essentially mean we have put Houston on the auction block for any team willing to pony up a 1st round pick this year and again in the 2016 draft? If so, I could live with that. I'd hate to lose him, but without Hali on the other side, I don't think Houston looks like quite the miracle worker he has been and assuming Hali will take a pay cut even if Houston is gone then we'd free up something like $18-$20 million in cap space ($13 million not spent on Houston plus say $5 or $6 million on Hali) plus the $6 million we already have so we'd have somewhere in the vicinity of $25 million in cap space plus get 2 1st round picks. Not at all sure that would be a bad move. I have to admit....I'm drooling over the idea of Dorsey having 4 first round picks in 2 years.
    Last edited by ctchiefsfan; 03-02-2015 at 01:44 PM.

and the cap space to add a receiver, as well as oline talent like Iupati and the green Bay tackle. Cant remember his name Bulaga I think is it.

Quote Originally Posted by CabbageHATCHkid View Post
    and the cap space to add a receiver, as well as oline talent like Iupati and the green Bay tackle. Cant remember his name Bulaga I think is it.
    Yeah...I think I am starting to like this idea. Losing Houston is a big price to pay, but 2 first round picks is a whole boatload of potential. It would really put the entire load on Dorsey. That would mean he had 6 first round picks in 4 years, (more than making up for the 2 second rounders we gave for Alex), 2 second round picks in 4 years, plus our regular picks plus this year's compensatory picks. Dorsey is supposed to be a draft guru. Let's see if he really is. I *think* I like this move.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchiefsfan View Post
    Can somebody explain to me the logic in using a non-exclusive franchise tag as opposed to the exclusive tag on Houston? I have to assume there was some sort of logical reason for doing it but I cannot seem to fathom what we gained by using the non-exclusive tag. Hopefully somebody here can explain this to me.
    Two things. I have read that non-exclusive is cheaper, and it gives you options. If the player is really upset over the tag, they can look elsewhere and you arent stuck with a malcontent.

Also, FYI, KC has almost always used the non-exclusive tag. We used that one on Bowe and Albert in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by jap1 View Post
    Two things. I have read that non-exclusive is cheaper, and it gives you options. If the player is really upset over the tag, they can look elsewhere and you arent stuck with a malcontent.

Also, FYI, KC has almost always used the non-exclusive tag. We used that one on Bowe and Albert in the past.
    Thanks jap1 for the info.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast