Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Was Dee Ford a mistake?

Default Was Dee Ford a mistake?

Kelvin Benjamin - 6'5" 57 catches for 824 yds 8 TD's - taken 5 spots after Ford.
    Joel Bitonio - 852 snaps for Cleveland at left guard. PFF grade +21 - taken 12 spots after Ford.
    Jordan Matthews - 54 catches 686 yds and 7 TD's - taken 19 spots after Ford.
    Dee Ford - 4 tackles.
    Just saying - NOT HAPPY with the Dorsey/Reid regimes' 1st round picks with Fisher and Ford.
    TOTAL FAIL.

What say you?
    SHUT IT

Quote Originally Posted by Eydugstr View Post
    It's ironic that everyone thought he was drafted to replace Hali....Now it looks like he'll be replacing Houston...

And if he doesn't produce 3/4th of what Houston did, then that draft pick was a waste (this is assuming houston is gone.)

Quote Originally Posted by Bike View Post
    OK how many more bungled 1st rd picks has to occur before hindsight isn't 20/20?
    Well, I don't think he had bungled any picks yet. Like I said, there weren't many options when we picked Fisher. We will see this year what happens with Ford, Houston and hali.

Quote Originally Posted by Eydugstr View Post
    It's ironic that everyone thought he was drafted to replace Hali....Now it looks like he'll be replacing Houston...
    He may still replace Hali. Hali is still a pretty big cap hit.

It's early on both Fisher and Ford.

Fisher as I stated last offseason has been put in a bad spot by the Chiefs. He was drafted then had to learn playing RT instead of LT just as he's learning that they move him back to LT. It's a mess. Despite that he did show some improvement over year 1 this past season. This is Fishers 3rd season coming up. The 3rd year is a make or break year. Hopefully a offseason of more work and not having to change positions yet again will help him and he can show even more improvement this upcoming season.

Ford just finished year 1. He didn't get on the field much early in the year. So it's really really hard to say about him. He did start showing up at the end of the year and was getting some sacks. But far to early to say that he was a mistake. We just haven't seen him on the field enough to really judge. That should change this upcoming season.

If Ford does pan out and the Chiefs are able to find some way to get a good WR then you can't say he was a mistake. If it turns out the other way then yes he was a mistake. This is just a question that we don't yet have the answer to .
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Quote Originally Posted by Seek View Post
    He may still replace Hali. Hali is still a pretty big cap hit.
    Very true. Hali's willing to renegotiate, but how much can we afford?

Ideally, I don't want to draft any player that isn't ready to start week 1. One of the most attractive parts of a 1st rd pick is having a guy that can start, but not having to pay him like a superstar. By drafting a player in the 1st rd, but not playing him, you are wasting that advantage. You might as well just sign a free agent because you just wasted one of his cheap years. I would have preferred to have a WR that would have started 16 games last year, than a LB that plays 3 games and will be a free agent in 3 years. If the LB turns out to be any good(eg. Houston), you wasted a cheap salary year. 1st round players must be impact players that can start in year 1 in my opinion. Lots of examples. Look at the QB's being drafted, if they are good like Russell Wilson, you have a great player on the cheap for 4 years. As soon as these same players rookie deal expires, then they want monster money which hurts the teams ability to build a solid roster. As soon as Seattle has to pay Russell Wilson franchise money, their run will be over. It has happened many times.
    Last edited by Coach; 03-05-2015 at 11:24 PM.

getting starters in the 1st rd sounds good, but shouldn't exclude exceptions---especially later picks of the 1st. drafting dee ford now seems pretty damn smart. right off--let me say i'm a dorsey man. the job of a GM goes beyon 1st day picks. certainly don't consider him a draft guru, but he took a bad team with no depth and made it a good team that withstood injuries and still won. he has made some moves that, in retrospect,seem poor, but i understood them , at the time. bowe's contract comes to mind. bowe was all the chiefs had ,at the time, at wr and dorsey was a bit over a barrel. i like him as a hardworking thoughtfull GM and NOT a "suit".

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12