Thread: Eric Berry

Default Eric Berry

You guys have been asking about the NFL needing to help us with Berry's contract I found this today. Hope it helps

5. Eric Berry

As bad as I feel for Berry and his family, I had to leave sentiment out of this. That doesn't mean I'm advocating the Chiefs cutting him. Far from it. I believe that on March 10th, Eric Berry needs to be placed on the Active Non-Football Injury List. For those of you that do not know, the NFI List is how teams protect themselves when a player gets sick or injured in activities that do not involve the team. As sad as it is, Berry's situation is a perfect example of why this was created. When a player is placed on the NFI List, they are dismissed from all team functions for as long as they are on there. You might remember that Mike Catapano was placed on the NFI List last year due to his illness. When this happens with a player, the team has the option to withhold as much as all of the player's salary (as well as bonuses that he doesn't earn). That means the Chiefs would save $5.45 mil against the cap with Berry on the NFI List. But there are two major questions that come with this.

What will happen with Berry's income? The Chiefs can offer to pay him a portion of his salary if they wish. However, it is important to remember that Berry is already a millionaire, and he still has endorsements. But even if the Chiefs decided to not give him any of his salary, Berry is still covered by the NFL's health insurance policy, so the medical bills are not an issue. Plus, there are quite a few "off the books" means of making sure Berry is provided for. So he'll be ok.

What if Berry doesn't need to miss the whole season? This is one of the benefits of the NFI List. There are two different designations: Reserve and Active. Mike Catapano went on the Reserve NFI List last year which meant he was done for the entire season. However, with the Active NFI List, a player can return after Week 6 of the regular season. But what effect does that have on the player's money? Well, the player would start getting paid again upon his return, so whatever money is remaining for the 10 weeks would come back onto the cap. However, ALL of the money would have still come off at the time of his designation, so the Chiefs would have plenty of time to plan for his return.

Damn I hope he gets back on the field as a chief . He was a stud with a bright future hopefully he can get over this bump in the road

have to do something with his salary cap #
    love you eric berry...God bless you

I hope it helped, I'm hoping he can beat this it helps that he is young and healthy

Chiefs4life24.....

Damn good post! Thanks for the education! I knew there had to be a way for us to do the right thing by Berry and yet not screw ourselves on the salary cap while still keeping the rights to him. I just didn't know how it was done. So thanks for explaining. Posts like this are why I love ChiefsCrowd. I've learned more in the last few years about how the NFL works than I did in over 40 years of being a Chiefs fan.

So Thank You!!! You made me a better Chiefs fan today!