Thread: Mike Devito takes pay cut

Default Mike Devito takes pay cut

The pay cut creates 2.5 million in cap space for us

His cap number goes from 5.4 million to 2.9 million after pay cut

wow this is really good news!

Wow, two players taking cap cuts,,,,, I thought I remember Alex saying he may be willing to change his contract to help the team ask him to take a cut with an optio to earn it back with incentives. Like Complete a TD pass for over 30 yards in the air to a WR int he first game of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Seek View Post
    Wow, two players taking cap cuts,,,,, I thought I remember Alex saying he may be willing to change his contract to help the team ask him to take a cut with an optio to earn it back with incentives. Like Complete a TD pass for over 30 yards in the air to a WR int he first game of the season.
    Devito and Hali took a paycut, (Tamba took a cut AND restructured his contract). Smith has said he would "restructure" not redo his contract or take a pay cut. Restructuring usually means you take money out of their base pay and turn it into a signing bonus. To the player it is good because their pay is in their hands NOW and is guaranteed. It is good for the team because the salary cap is based on their base pay plus the signing bonus SPREAD OUT over the length of their contract. So moving one years worth of salary into a signing bonus basically spreads this years contract out over the next X years. It helps the team now, but really just kicks the can down the road.

I must have missed the part about Alex Smith volunteering to restructure his contract. If it did in fact happen then my thanks to him. While it likely wouldn't actually save any money over the full course of the contract and would in fact make more of his contract "guaranteed" it could still save us some cap room THIS YEAR when we so desperately need it. If it happened, it was a classy move on Smith's part.