Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Maclin for Bowe

Default Maclin for Bowe

So everyone on the internet is saying the chiefs are crazy for giving Maclin this 11 mil per year contract. The way I look at it is, Bowe was making 14 million. We upgraded players and saved 3 million? Sounds like a bargain to me.

Or judging by your requirements to be a #1 receiver you have to be Calvin Johnson, Dez Bryant and AJ GReen. Those are the ONLY 3 amazing receivers in the NFL. Demarious Thomas was a NOBODY until Peyton Manning came a long, so do not include him in your list.

Its not as big a signing but new long snapper
    Chiefs sign LS James Winchester
    Posted in Transactions By Herbie Teope+ On March 12, 2015 Print article
    KANSAS CITY, Mo. – The Chiefs signed unrestricted free agent long snapper James Winchester to a two-year contract, a source confirmed Thursday afternoon with ChiefsDigest.com.

Financial terms of the deal were not disclosed and the Chiefs have not announced the transaction.

Winchester’s signing was first announced on Twitter by his agent:

The 6-3, 210-pound Winchester entered the league as an undrafted free agent out of Oklahoma, where he was college teammates with current Chiefs offensive lineman Donald Stephenson and cornerback Jamell Fleming.

The 26-year-old Winchester, a native of Washington, Okla., tried out for the Chiefs in May 2012 and the Green Bay Packers in May 2013 before signing with the Philadelphia Eagles on Aug. 12, 2013. The Eagles released him 13 days later on Aug. 25.

Kansas City has three long snappers on the offseason roster: Winchester, Brandon Hartson and Jorgen Hus.

Hartson and Hus signed reserve/future deals days after the Chiefs’ 2014 regular season ended.

Thomas Gafford, an unrestricted free agent, manned the long snapper position the past seven seasons. He remains unsigned since the start of free agency.

Quote Originally Posted by Pro_Angler View Post
    Thats funny because I'm not the only one that feels this way.. And yes we should have Kept Hudson...I am picky and fussy about the players because I actually do care if we win games and how many we win and if we make the payoffs and win the SB.. Ive been watching the Chiefs since 1972 I do know and I do care whats happening with players.. TY...
    Glad your not our gm who would way overpay for an over rated center. Losing hudson isnt the end of the world we can find a center just as good as him at a cheaper rate as well. Hudso. A year ago was on verge of being a bjst a d now this year he lucked out being one of our better o linemen but that aint saying much. 9 mil a year is to much for a center even if hes the best in the league it be close to the max id pay a center.

If we can pick up someone along the lines of Odell Beckham jr or better I wouldn't care what we did to get him. He was a beast rookie

Quote Originally Posted by Justin5772002 View Post
    If we can pick up someone along the lines of Odell Beckham jr or better I wouldn't care what we did to get him. He was a beast rookie
    I believe maclin is a true #1 receiver bit im also would be excited if they drafted another wr who can be a #1 as well.

Quote Originally Posted by jason1981 View Post
    Glad your not our gm who would way overpay for an over rated center. Losing hudson isnt the end of the world we can find a center just as good as him at a cheaper rate as well. Hudso. A year ago was on verge of being a bjst a d now this year he lucked out being one of our better o linemen but that aint saying much. 9 mil a year is to much for a center even if hes the best in the league it be close to the max id pay a center.

I feel we said the same thing when we lost all those o-lineman last year........look what happen

Quote Originally Posted by ctchiefsfan View Post
    I disagree. Last year he had 85 receptions for 1,318 yards on 119 targets. He caught the ball 71% of the time he was targeted and gained 15.5 yards per reception and 11.07 yards per target. He is capable of being a true #1 receiver. He certainly was last year. Those kind of numbers are better than anything Bowe has ever done for us.

No we didn't. Maclin signed a pretty team-friendly deal. $3.4 million this year. $12.4 million in 2016. And if he isn't producing we can cut him in 2017 and save $5 million in cap space. So in reality we are really only committed to him for 2 years and in those 2 years he earns $15.8 million--$7.9 million average. Dorsey did a pretty good deal for Maclin.

And we just might. Dorsey said Wednesday that Bowe was still a Chief. While I still expect we'll cut Bowe, it certainly looks like Dorsey is doing his damndest to try to keep him.

Naturally, if Maclin doesn't get the targets he can't get the production. Goes without saying. But if we had Maclin and were able to keep Bowe I think Reid would come up with a game plan that targeted wide receivers more often.

I don't honestly know the answer to that but if Bowe's primary purpose is to be a blocker then he is WAY OVERPAID.

Agreed and realistically we have been paying Bowe INSANE money to be primarily a blocking WR. And as I said we're only paying Maclin $3.4 million this year.

Agreed. If you are going to hire wide receivers to catch passes then we need to throw the ball to them.

I dunno about that. Alex is capable of throwing the ball. If Reid tells him to open it up a bit he will. And if he has some success doing it he'll feel plenty comfortable. Success breeds success. I don't think he will ever be a true gunslinger but if we gave him 2 good WRs he trusted I think he's surprise us all.

I guess time will tell on this. I'm hoping the Maclin acquisition means Reid is going to try to get more aggressive with the passing game. But you are certainly right about one thing...if we don't get more aggressive with the passing game NO WR is going to look like much.

So in the end it's pretty much all on Reid and his play calling.
    Well, I admit that I didn't look at the details of the contract. And it looks a lot better than my assumption. And I do like Maclin. So, in light of that contract info, I have no complaints.

I just hope we start passing to WRs a little bit.

Quote Originally Posted by doobs_05 View Post
    I feel we said the same thing when we lost all those o-lineman last year........look what happen
    Im not saying we dont need help but overpaying for a overrated center is not the answer. I wont mind using our 1st pick on therop center in the draft.

I'm kinda shocked they haven't brought in Micheal Crabtree for a workout

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345