Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Maclin for Bowe

Default Maclin for Bowe

So everyone on the internet is saying the chiefs are crazy for giving Maclin this 11 mil per year contract. The way I look at it is, Bowe was making 14 million. We upgraded players and saved 3 million? Sounds like a bargain to me.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchiefsfan View Post
    Being realistic about Maclin, he had an AMAZING YEAR last year. But prior to that playing for Andy Reid, his numbers weren't all that much different than Bowe's have been playing for Reid. So IMO the jury is still out on how good an acquistion this was. And he has had some injury issues. So those are the downsides.

But on the upside, he's cheaper than Bowe. And he has better hands than Bowe.

So IMO the ABSOLUTE WORST we got out of this was fairly equal production for a lot less money. From what I have read on the net we're going to pay Maclin somewhere between $8 and $11 million per year thereby saving somewhere between $3 and $6 million on the cap. For me all Maclin has to do is look like Bowe version 2.0 to have been a good purchase. That's the upside.

Then there is the "I HOPE! MAYBE!" What if he has 2 or 3 seasons like last year? Then Dorsey and Reid look like geniouses!

One other thing I will mention, is that I think Maclin is excited about working for Reid again. A lot of players really seem to like to work for Reid. So crazy as it sounds, maybe Maclin was willing to take a little less cash to work for Reid than he might have gotten somewhere else. I mean...when you start talking about $8 million or more per year what difference does $1 million make? I know that over the years I've had some GREAT bosses and some TERRIBLE ones. I'd go back to work for one of the good ones and HAPPILY take a little less money to do so rather than go to work for one of the terrible ones or even an unknown one. So I think it is possible that having Reid as coach may have been the main reason we're getting Maclin and may even save us a little extra money. And that is important this year.
    half of those passes prior to last year went to desean though. He still was putting up 850 + 5 TD's a year

None of this matters if the QB does not have time to throw...O-Line is bad and got worse with Hudson departure.

Bowe to be released on Wednesday

I am with the majority. Maclin has never put together an $11-million season, and we agreed to pay him that EVERY season.

I would have kept Bowe. Nothing against Maclin, but he is not going to accumulate stats while Alex throws to the TE and HB. So.... Who's the better blocker, since WR is not really a pass-catching position on this team?

Blocking WRs are discarded by NFL teams every year, because those teams look for WRs to catch passes. Paying $11-million a year for what everybody else pays league min for is foolish.

They had better start forcing Alex to throw the ball to this guy.... Just to try and get some value from him. And if they do.... I expect to be looking for a QB next season. You force your QB into uncomfortable situations, and you have done half of your opponents' defensive job for them.

I like Maclin. Had him on three of my four FF teams last year. But he will not warrant a roster spot come draft time this season. Short of a self-made guy like Megatron, or Dez Bryant, I don't see how a WR is going to be successful with this team in 2015. Ultra-conservative QB, in an ultra-conservative offense? Terrible news for WRs.

Jesus another witch hunt thanks Goobdell

NFL wants teams' phone records from ESPN

"The memo makes clear that we will look into any potential violations of the rules," NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said Monday.

The last sentence of the letter reads: "At this time, the league office is beginning investigations into a number of reported agreements with clubs. Violations will be dealt with accordingly."

The NFL sent its memo after news leaked, beginning Sunday, of several agreements between high-profile free agents and teams, including Ndamukong Suh with the Dolphins, Byron Maxwell with the Eagles and Jeremy Maclin with the Chiefs.

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    I am with the majority. Maclin has never put together an $11-million season, and we agreed to pay him that EVERY season.

I would have kept Bowe. Nothing against Maclin, but he is not going to accumulate stats while Alex throws to the TE and HB. So.... Who's the better blocker, since WR is not really a pass-catching position on this team?

Blocking WRs are discarded by NFL teams every year, because those teams look for WRs to catch passes. Paying $11-million a year for what everybody else pays league min for is foolish.

They had better start forcing Alex to throw the ball to this guy.... Just to try and get some value from him. And if they do.... I expect to be looking for a QB next season. You force your QB into uncomfortable situations, and you have done half of your opponents' defensive job for them.

I like Maclin. Had him on three of my four FF teams last year. But he will not warrant a roster spot come draft time this season. Short of a self-made guy like Megatron, or Dez Bryant, I don't see how a WR is going to be successful with this team in 2015. Ultra-conservative QB, in an ultra-conservative offense? Terrible news for WRs.
    I think the price is too high. But i guess we'll see what happens, i don't expect much from Maclin, i think Kelce or charles will get the load of passes/yards/and TDs.

we dont have a contract with Maclin. I havent heard anything about it since 2 days before open signing began.

Quote Originally Posted by etherbinge View Post
    half of those passes prior to last year went to desean though. He still was putting up 850 + 5 TD's a year
    You make a good point. He was really the #2 receiver prior to last year and his numbers were pretty good for a #2. And as it turns out we got a pretty team-friendly deal from Maclin. He's only getting $3.4 million from us this year and while he get's $12.4 million in 2016 we could cut him in 2017 and save $5 million in cap space if we needed to. So we are really only committed to him for 2 years. I think Dorsey did a real good job with this deal.

I am with the majority. Maclin has never put together an $11-million season,
    I disagree. Last year he had 85 receptions for 1,318 yards on 119 targets. He caught the ball 71% of the time he was targeted and gained 15.5 yards per reception and 11.07 yards per target. He is capable of being a true #1 receiver. He certainly was last year. Those kind of numbers are better than anything Bowe has ever done for us.

and we agreed to pay him that EVERY season.
    No we didn't. Maclin signed a pretty team-friendly deal. $3.4 million this year. $12.4 million in 2016. And if he isn't producing we can cut him in 2017 and save $5 million in cap space. So in reality we are really only committed to him for 2 years and in those 2 years he earns $15.8 million--$7.9 million average. Dorsey did a pretty good deal for Maclin.

I would have kept Bowe.
    And we just might. Dorsey said Wednesday that Bowe was still a Chief. While I still expect we'll cut Bowe, it certainly looks like Dorsey is doing his damndest to try to keep him.

Nothing against Maclin, but he is not going to accumulate stats while Alex throws to the TE and HB.
    Naturally, if Maclin doesn't get the targets he can't get the production. Goes without saying. But if we had Maclin and were able to keep Bowe I think Reid would come up with a game plan that targeted wide receivers more often.

So.... Who's the better blocker, since WR is not really a pass-catching position on this team?
    I don't honestly know the answer to that but if Bowe's primary purpose is to be a blocker then he is WAY OVERPAID.

Agreed and realistically we have been paying Bowe INSANE money to be primarily a blocking WR. And as I said we're only paying Maclin $3.4 million this year.

They had better start forcing Alex to throw the ball to this guy....
    Agreed. If you are going to hire wide receivers to catch passes then we need to throw the ball to them.

And if they do.... I expect to be looking for a QB next season. You force your QB into uncomfortable situations, and you have done half of your opponents' defensive job for them.
    I dunno about that. Alex is capable of throwing the ball. If Reid tells him to open it up a bit he will. And if he has some success doing it he'll feel plenty comfortable. Success breeds success. I don't think he will ever be a true gunslinger but if we gave him 2 good WRs he trusted I think he's surprise us all.

I guess time will tell on this. I'm hoping the Maclin acquisition means Reid is going to try to get more aggressive with the passing game. But you are certainly right about one thing...if we don't get more aggressive with the passing game NO WR is going to look like much.

So in the end it's pretty much all on Reid and his play calling.

We still have Smith, and a run first offense, therefore we know Maclin will not have the same numbers that he had last year. But I bet he will catch some td passes.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast