Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Current Cap Situation (1700 EST Mar 09)

Default Current Cap Situation (1700 EST Mar 09)

So according to Spotrac.com, after the new contract for Hali and Devito, we are $8million UNDER the cap. We still need to sign Maclin (hopefully it will work out) which I'm guessing the cap hit will be right around $8mil (probably back loaded and will have a decent signing bonus). Which technically means we don't NEED to cut Bowe right away. This plays into our hands, because we can hold onto Bowe for a few weeks. If he wants a big contract somewhere else, well he isn't going to get it after this week when all the money has been spent. It will help pressure him into taking a cut.

If he does take a pay cut, or we cut him, we then have $11 million to sign our draft picks (~$4mil) go after other FAs (OL?), or use to sign Houston long term. If we NFI Berry, we get another $8mil. Suddenly Revis or Branch doesn't seem entirely out of reach.

Also, now that Hali is locked up, I'm honestly hoping that someone gives Houston an offer and we decline. If we get his $13mil off the books, we could make a serious run at someone like Revis. Holy crap, could you imagine Revis Smith and Gaines as NB. DJ back to full strength. Poe, Devito and Baliey up front. Abdullah and Branch at S. Our D would be sick.

The big hole right now is OL.

Hell look what suh just got stupid fins.. There is always a dumb gm willing to give up the world.

I say nfi berry like yesterday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!! Save the 8mil for someone thats going to actually play.

Quote Originally Posted by Pro_Angler View Post
    I say nfi berry like yesterday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!! Save the 8mil for someone thats going to actually play.
    Hard to argue with that. I'm surprised they haven't done it yet. Though maybe they didn't need to to get under the cap by yesterday afternoon. If they were already in compliance with the cap then there was no need to do it. I'm sure they have the paperwork to NFI him already done and waiting for a signature and are just waiting until they actually need that money available to spend.

We needed the money!!!!!!!!!!!! we could have offered Hudson what Raiders did and kept him.... Our Oline needed help and now it's just going to be horrible.

I can only assume that they already have a plan in place to replace Hudson via Free Agency or the draft. And I have no doubt that the Raiders overpaid for Hudson. We can't afford to overpay for ANYONE this year.

As for the O-line being horrible this year. Only time will tell. I'm not going to second guess a GM and Head Coach that in just 2 years have gotten us a playoff appearance and 2 winning seasons in a row. I do believe that at the start of last season you predicted no better than 6-10. Until they prove me a fool, I trust Reid and Dorsey.

They should have turned over the o-line a long time ago

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefs4life24 View Post
    They should have turned over the o-line a long time ago
    They took a shot at it with Fisher. We'll see how that turns out. This year is make or break for Fisher.

I think it messed fisher up switching positions on him like that

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefs4life24 View Post
    I think it messed fisher up switching positions on him like that
    Agreed. But IMO opinion he needs to show SUBSTANTIAL IMPROVEMENT this year. This is his second year back at LT and he needs to show he deserves it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pro_Angler View Post
    We needed the money!!!!!!!!!!!! we could have offered Hudson what Raiders did and kept him.... Our Oline needed help and now it's just going to be horrible.
    $10 million for an undersized center that can't handle bull rushers? No thanks. Unless you think he is the best center in the league, there is no way he is worth that much.

After the maclin signing, we are still $2 mil under the cap. Our rookies will cost $4 mil, so essentially we are $2 mil over. Bowe will be renegotiated or cut, giving us AT LEAST $5 mil. Berry will be NFI'd, I almost guarantee it, it's just that there is no reason to hurry. Plus they probably want to pay him SOMETHING. When he is, that will give us a total of $11 mil to use on Houston, OL, and other depth players. The second stage of FA starts now, where the depth players and decent to good OL players are found.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast