Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Current Cap Situation (1700 EST Mar 09)

Default Current Cap Situation (1700 EST Mar 09)

So according to Spotrac.com, after the new contract for Hali and Devito, we are $8million UNDER the cap. We still need to sign Maclin (hopefully it will work out) which I'm guessing the cap hit will be right around $8mil (probably back loaded and will have a decent signing bonus). Which technically means we don't NEED to cut Bowe right away. This plays into our hands, because we can hold onto Bowe for a few weeks. If he wants a big contract somewhere else, well he isn't going to get it after this week when all the money has been spent. It will help pressure him into taking a cut.

If he does take a pay cut, or we cut him, we then have $11 million to sign our draft picks (~$4mil) go after other FAs (OL?), or use to sign Houston long term. If we NFI Berry, we get another $8mil. Suddenly Revis or Branch doesn't seem entirely out of reach.

Also, now that Hali is locked up, I'm honestly hoping that someone gives Houston an offer and we decline. If we get his $13mil off the books, we could make a serious run at someone like Revis. Holy crap, could you imagine Revis Smith and Gaines as NB. DJ back to full strength. Poe, Devito and Baliey up front. Abdullah and Branch at S. Our D would be sick.

The big hole right now is OL.

I'm actually to the point I hope someone offers houston a contract. Two #1's would give us 4 in 2 years. Thats enough to really build a team around if you land on at least 2 of them.

Quote Originally Posted by etherbinge View Post
    I'm actually to the point I hope someone offers houston a contract. Two #1's would give us 4 in 2 years. Thats enough to really build a team around if you land on at least 2 of them.
    If the team that signs him is the Raiders as the talking heads say want him that is good and bad. Bad in that we have to ply him twice and the good it will probably be early picks.

If Al Davis was still in charge of the Raiders, I would bet they'd do it. Unfortunately, he's not and there's no way we get the Raiders hand us that kind of gift.

Quote Originally Posted by N TX Dave View Post
    If the team that signs him is the Raiders as the talking heads say want him that is good and bad. Bad in that we have to ply him twice and the good it will probably be early picks.
    I almost want this. Then when he struggles to get 15 sacks because he doesn't have Poe, Bailey and Tamba keeping other teams from double teaming him, we can laugh all the way to the bank/playoffs.

I will be shocked if Houston gets any suitors. Nobody is going to give up two 1st rd picks to have the right to make him the highest paid LB in NFL history. I hope someone is that stupid. It would need to be someone that consistently picks late in Rd 1. Those types of teams don't usually make mistakes like would be.

If I was the Patriots gm i would think long and hard about it. With revis, mcortney, and their already sold lb core their defense would be gtreat and help with another superbowl ring. I think they could afford to loose two picks for houston.

i think the colts might do it

I hope somebody does! I want those 2 first round picks!

Anyone know where we sit right now with the cap?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast