Thread: THANK YOU Tamba Hali and Mike DeVito.

Default THANK YOU Tamba Hali and Mike DeVito.

As Chiefs fans I think we should all say a big THANK YOU to Hali and DeVito for taking pay cuts in a year when we really needed it. If either of them had been cut I think they probably could have gotten more money as Free Agents than they will be getting with the Chiefs the Chiefs this year. That means they took REAL pay cuts to stay with the Chiefs. And as a fan I really like that. I miss the old days when players mostly stayed with 1 team for their entire career. I'm pretty sure Tamba will and I suspect DeVito will at least finish out his career as a Chief.

THANK YOU BOTH!

Honorable mention to Alex Smith who if what I read is right offered to restructure his contract to help free up a little cap space this year. It wasn't a pay cut he volunteered for and I still feel he is a little overpaid, but if he in fact volunteered to shift some of his pay around to help the Chiefs save a little cap space then that was a classy move.

Thanks Alex.

Indeed, it shows you that these veterans believe in what's going on in KC and it shows you that respectability in KC has been restored at least to a certain degree.

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    Indeed, it shows you that these veterans believe in what's going on in KC and it shows you that respectability in KC has been restored at least to a certain degree.
    PRECISELY! Good players WANT to play for the Chiefs now! An AMAZING CHANGE in just 2 years. There WILL be bumps in the road. But Reid and Dorsey are building a team we can all be PROUD of again.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchiefsfan View Post
    PRECISELY! Good players WANT to play for the Chiefs now! An AMAZING CHANGE in just 2 years. There WILL be bumps in the road. But Reid and Dorsey are building a team we can all be PROUD of again.
    IMO its a combination of being able to play under Andy Reid, and truely believing this team can make a Super Bowl run. Thank you Clark Hunt for going out and getting Andy and John Dorsey to turn this franchise around and make it respectable again.

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    This hits on something I was thinking after I read about DeVito restructuring...The guy gave up over 2/3 of his paycheck to stay in KC. The guy has to believe in what's going on around him to give up that much money.

Quote Originally Posted by Eydugstr View Post
    This hits on something I was thinking after I read about DeVito restructuring...The guy gave up over 2/3 of his paycheck to stay in KC. The guy has to believe in what's going on around him to give up that much money.
    He got an entires year pay check last year rehabing an injury, and is coming off an injury that he may not recover from. What do you think he would have got on the open market. I doubt it would be 2.9 million. This is a win win situation for both the Chiefs and Devito.

Now Tamba would have received a pay check if he hit the open market. His deal, has elevated him to one of the my most favorite Chiefs of all time. He has always been a very humble person even when he has made some mistakes he took credit for those mistakes and sincerely apologized. Just wished Justin Houston was a little more like Tamba.

Quote Originally Posted by Seek View Post
    He got an entires year pay check last year rehabing an injury, and is coming off an injury that he may not recover from. What do you think he would have got on the open market. I doubt it would be 2.9 million. This is a win win situation for both the Chiefs and Devito.
    There is good truth in what you say about DeVito. There was no fat payday waiting for him on the open market. Though I think he probably could have gotten the same money or maybe just a touch more on the open market. But in the end, he WANTED to play for the Chiefs and he did what he had to to stay with the Chiefs. That is the kind of player we need on the team. After the new contract was signed he posted on Twitter about being happy to stay with the Chiefs and the last words in that post were "I won't let you down". Barring injury, Devito is going to have the best year of his career this year. He did the right thing and in an age when many players are only interested in themselves DeVito's attitude is a breath of fresh air. I'm glad he's going to be on the field for us this season.

Now Tamba would have received a pay check if he hit the open market. His deal, has elevated him to one of the my most favorite Chiefs of all time. He has always been a very humble person even when he has made some mistakes he took credit for those mistakes and sincerely apologized. Just wished Justin Houston was a little more like Tamba.
    Absolutely DEAD ON!!! Tamba came out early and VOLUNTEERED to take a hit in his wallet to stay with the Chiefs!!! He knew we couldn't keep him under the terms of his contract and he knew he could make a better bank for the next year or 3 by being released, but he WANTED TO STAY WITH THE CHIEFS! Hali is going to have a MONSTER SEASON. Not because he's looking for a fat new contract, but because he just wants to make our Chiefs the best damned team in the NFL. With players with that kind of attitude we can't lose. When Tamba retires, the Chiefs need to find a place on the coaching staff for him.

As for Houston....I hope Hali has more sacks this year then Houston does. Houston is going to make a HUGE bank this year no matter who he plays for, but if he had Hali's attitude he'd be more concerned with staying with the Chiefs than whether he could get an extra million or two per year somewhere else. If Houston had any class he'd tell his agent to get him a 4 year contract with the Chiefs with $25 million guaranteed (makes him set for life), $10 million per year and incentives based on sacks that could up his pay to $12.5 million. Instead he seems (if you can believe the stories in the media) to be acting like a spoiled brat.
    Last edited by ctchiefsfan; 03-10-2015 at 10:04 AM.

I thank Houstin for his contributions to the Chiefs. I'm not sure anyone has done what has for so little pay, ever on any team. He was under appreciated by the front office.

Very true. My attention was on the numbers moreso than the guy's injury history, and thinking "How many of us would take 1/3 of our current paycheck and still show up for work..."

Yes, we are very fortunate to have Tamba. He could've ended his career with another team getting bigger $$'s, but chose to stay in KC.

Quote Originally Posted by 70 chiefsfan70 View Post
    I thank Houstin for his contributions to the Chiefs. I'm not sure anyone has done what has for so little pay, ever on any team. He was under appreciated by the front office.
    Houston wanted to resign and extend last season. Bet his contract would have been quite a bit less than what he's asking for now. If he would have made 5-8 million last year he wouldn't be as sour as he currently is. He knew his worth last year and didn't get any compensation. Rookies were making more than him last season