Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: All this negativity on Justin Houston isn't justified.

Default All this negativity on Justin Houston isn't justified.

Justin Houston played 4 incredible years for us 3x pro-bowler and almost defensive player of the year. His stat line is just shy of every chiefs fans favorite player of all time DT! He has performed at this level for almost the league minimum for 4 years!!! He asked last year for a contract renegtioation which would have been much cheaper but the chiefs told him no. I think he's got every right to try tactics to get paid as much as he can from the chiefs. The only time I will doubt Justin Houston is when he's not there for opening week in shape and ready to play his heart out. BECAUSE THATS THE ONLY THING HES EVER DONE FOR US! Screw 2 first round picks. J.H. Is Definately worth at least a #1 overall and more.

Houston on has been nothing shy of great for bare minimum. It's time he gets paid! He's a team player and a good role model. Unless you know JH personally, you probably have no clue what is going on behind the scenes. He cares about his teamates (Berry is proof of that) and his fans, he just wants to be paid

PAY THE MAN!

I wouldn't listen to what the media says, what gets more clicks "Houston and KC still working on contract" "Houston is upset with KC because they will not pay $$$$$$$$$$$", the internet has become "come up with the best title so we can get clicks.

Fans need to understand the NFL has become more of a business now. Houston see's the numbers he's put up, see's what other OLB have put up, he knows he's the best because he shows it on the field and YOU THE FANS post about how he is the best defensive player in the league and should of been in the DPOY running. Get that money Houston, i know i'd take 5x what i'm getting paid now to work for another company.

I also enjoy no one (maybe 1 or 2 people) is being harsh on the chiefs FO for not paying houston last year......could of been cheaper because he came off injury and didn't rack up over 20 sacks....

Quote Originally Posted by ctchiefsfan View Post
    NOBODY here wants to see Houston leave. And EVERYBODY here wants to see Houston get a HUGE payday. Those are just facts.!
    eh, i'm sure there are a few that are saying (not outloud) "hali took a pay cut, he's loyal, why can't houston be loyal" Houston walks i guarantee someone will call him greedy.

NOBODY here wants to see Houston leave. And EVERYBODY here wants to see Houston get a HUGE payday. Those are just facts.
    True. But I'm beginning to warm up to the unlikely idea of some team signing him and giving us two 1sts. Not my preferred scenario, but I won't commit seppuku if it happens.

Quote Originally Posted by doobs_05 View Post
    eh, i'm sure there are a few that are saying (not outloud) "hali took a pay cut, he's loyal, why can't houston be loyal" Houston walks i guarantee someone will call him greedy.
    There could be different factors. Here's a couple of them:

1- Hali grew up in a different culture where big money is probably not the only measure of respect.

2- Houston has been a bargain for KC in the last few years. Grossly underpaid, as it turned out. So it is fair that his second contract includes some 'back pay.' Wanting 'Suh money,' if true is way over the top. Suh, doesn't deserve Suh money. That contract is ridiculous. Just because some FO is dumb enough to throw that kind of dough at a player so close to long term suspension does not mean Dorsey should follow their example.

I'm just trying to be logical about it. I don't know what Dorsey has offered and I don't know what Houston and his agent have demanded. And I doubt anyone here does either.

As for Hali...yeah...I'M DAMNED PROUD OF HIM AS A CHIEF for taking the pay cut. I think we all agree he could have refused the pay cut and gotten more money on the open market after being cut than what he took to stay with the Chiefs. Do I wish that Houston would go get the best offer he can and then have his agent go to Dorsey and say..."Look...here's what we've been offered. But Houston is willing to play with the numbers a bit to help with the cap this year to stay with the Chiefs." OF COURSE I WISH THAT WOULD HAPPEN!!! So yeah...I DO wish Houston would be as unselfish and loyal as Hali. OF COURSE I DO! But am I going to hate Houston if he isn't???? HELL NO! He's entitled to get the very best money he can get!

But I'll be clear...and I WILL SAY IT OUT LOUD... *IF* the media reports of Houston deliberately trying to screw the Chiefs are proven true then as far as I am concerned he can go straight to hell. It's up to Houston whether he is going to be a man and simply go out and get the best money he can. I can't be upset about that. NOT ONE BIT! But if he is out for revenge because we got 4 years out of him for low money because he failed a drug test then he is just being a spoiled little brat. After all....IT IS HOUSTON'S OWN FAULT WE GOT HIM FOR THE MONEY WE DID. Our front office did not put the pipe in his mouth. Houston did. And he paid the consequences. Throwing a tantrum because of the consequences of your own actions is childish.

Back in the mid-'90s I was the General Manager of a company in Myrtle Beach. That company was owned by a company in Atlanta. All credit card deposit went in an account controlled by Atlanta. Cash and check deposits went into an account I controlled. Atlanta had not deposited the credit card payments into the account I controlled for payroll in over 6 weeks. Payday was Friday. On the Monday before payroll I called Atlanta and explained we would not have the cash to cover payroll unless they deposited funds to the payroll account. They didn't. Comes Thursday and I report the hours to the payroll company. Paychecks are going to bounce the next day. So I instructed payroll company to not pay me my monthly check of $3750. But I still needed another $200+ to cover payroll. So I explained the situation to my assistant manager and asked her to not report her overtime that week and add it to the following week. It was the only way I could think of to keep paychecks from bouncing.

My assistant manager did as I asked and promptly reported my actions to HQ in Atlanta. On Monday my boss flew in from Atlanta with my replacement and gave me 15 minutes to leave the premises.

I didn't whine. I didn't cry. I said "Yes Sir" and left. I had broken the rules so that was that. It was their fault I was put in that position but that doesn't matter. I made the wrong decision. I should have taken my pay, rushed to the bank at lunch on Friday, cashed my check and let my worker's paychecks bounce. That would have been "legally" the correct thing to do. But instead I was loyal to my workers.

And BTW...I never did get paid my last month's wages.

Dorsey said the last he spoke with Houston's agent was 1 week ago and if the Chiefs would match any offer he reiterated he will be a Chief

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefs4life24 View Post
    Dorsey said the last he spoke with Houston's agent was 1 week ago and if the Chiefs would match any offer he reiterated he will be a Chief
    Dorsey and Reid WANT TO KEEP HOUSTON. No doubt about that. But at this point it appears that Dorsey has decided that there simply isn't enough cap space to pay what Houston's agent is demanding. Simple business decision. So Dorsey is letting Houston test the open market in the hopes the best offer Houston gets is one the Chiefs can match or exceed. That is what the "non-exclusive" tag is all about. Dorsey is hoping that the open market will determine a value for Houston that the Chiefs can afford to match or do better and that we'll get to keep him. That is the entire strategy behind the "non-exclusive" tag.

In the end--for better or worse--the salary cap has made the NFL all about
    business.

Does anybody really think that Clark Hunt wouldn't pony up a few extra $millions per year to keep Houston. I SURELY DON'T. But he doesn't have a choice. He has to leave it to Dorsey and Reid to decide how much any given player is worth WHILE STILL STAYING WITHIN THE SALARY CAP. The salary cap has increased the importance of the GM ASTRONOMICALLY...because he is the man that decides who a team can afford to keep and who they can't afford to keep. SUCKS, but it's true.

In business ownership you have a choice. You either run the business yourself--the way Al Davis did--or you hire the best guys you can get and trust them to run it right while still keeping an eye on things. But if you micro-manage you're probably just screwing yourself. Hunt has done the right thing and chosen good men to run the Chiefs, while still keeping an eye on things. Dorsey has been FORCED by the salary cap to take a gamble. We'll see how his gamble turns out.

In the end, the NFL is all about BUSINESS and we fans come a distant second. Hunt, Dorsey and Reid are HONESTLY trying to build a winner that will make the fans happy while still staying within the confines of the rules.

What more can we ask? I sure as hell don't think I'm smarter than Dorsey when it comes to managing the salary cap, the draft etc. Anybody here think they'd be a better GM than Dorsey? If you do then you're either a lot smarter than me or a lot more arrogant.

As far as I am concerned, Reid and Dorsey have made some mistakes but I think their batting average is pretty damned good. 2 winning seasons in a row plus a playoff game we should have won is nothing to be ashamed of and better than we fans have seen in a long time.

So as for me, my attitude is..."In Reid and Dorsey I trust".

Does anybody really think that Clark Hunt wouldn't pony up a few extra $millions per year to keep Houston. I SURELY DON'T.

As long as fans keep coming to the stadium and buying tickets, parking fees, merch, he doesn't care who's on the field, win or lose.

As long as fans keep coming to the stadium and buying tickets, parking fees, merch, he doesn't care who's on the field, win or lose.
    I don't agree. I think he wants to WIN...because that is how he is going to make his money. And let's be honest....if he sold the team he'd be SHAMED in front of his father's ghost. And nobody wants that. Especially not Clark. I raised money from his Dad and his uncle Bunker back in the '80s. They were both guys that wanted to WIN....be it in business or politics. Clark doesn't want to look like a failure compared to either of them. Ghosts are a POWERFUL motivator.

How many games were played for each?
    Sorry i just noticed this.

DT 58, RIP....................... 58 sacks, 281 tackles, played ....62 games

Justin Houstin................. 48.5 sacks, 198 tackles, played......53 games

Tamba Hali..................... 27 sacks, 176 tackles, played........63 games

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast