Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: All this negativity on Justin Houston isn't justified.

Default All this negativity on Justin Houston isn't justified.

Justin Houston played 4 incredible years for us 3x pro-bowler and almost defensive player of the year. His stat line is just shy of every chiefs fans favorite player of all time DT! He has performed at this level for almost the league minimum for 4 years!!! He asked last year for a contract renegtioation which would have been much cheaper but the chiefs told him no. I think he's got every right to try tactics to get paid as much as he can from the chiefs. The only time I will doubt Justin Houston is when he's not there for opening week in shape and ready to play his heart out. BECAUSE THATS THE ONLY THING HES EVER DONE FOR US! Screw 2 first round picks. J.H. Is Definately worth at least a #1 overall and more.

Houston on has been nothing shy of great for bare minimum. It's time he gets paid! He's a team player and a good role model. Unless you know JH personally, you probably have no clue what is going on behind the scenes. He cares about his teamates (Berry is proof of that) and his fans, he just wants to be paid

PAY THE MAN!

Quote Originally Posted by ctchiefsfan View Post
    Without a doubt giving Houston a raise at the start of the 2013 season would have been the smart thing to do. We had some cap space then and it probably would have made getting a new contract done now much easier. But we can't cry over spilt milk.

Getting an extension done last year would also have been a smart thing. But we had 3 guys wanting big money deals last year...Houston, JC and Alex Smith and there wasn't cap space to do all 3. Dorsey chose to do JC and Alex. With the benefit of 20-20 hindsight it looks as if perhaps we should have done JC and Houston and left Smith to this year. A tactical mistake on Dorsey's part. But what are we going to do? Fire Dorsey? I don't think so.

Meanwhile I'm sure Dorsey is throwing some very big numbers around in talks with Dorsey's agent. He's certainly trying his best to get Houston into a new deal. What more can we ask?

I hope that one day we'll all find out just what kind of money Houston was asking for and what Dorsey was offering. Meanwhile the tag at $13.95 million is still a very big payday for a single season.
    Right! But do you see what I'm saying? If he shows up to play day 1 for that then none of this speculation on what he's asking for or what he's willing to take matters. Cannot blame the guy for trying to see what he can work out. Now opening day if he's not on the field then we as fans have every right to hold a grudge, but until then don't write the guy off

Quote Originally Posted by Justin5772002 View Post
    Right! But do you see what I'm saying? If he shows up to play day 1 for that then none of this speculation on what he's asking for or what he's willing to take matters. Cannot blame the guy for trying to see what he can work out. Now opening day if he's not on the field then we as fans have every right to hold a grudge, but until then don't write the guy off
    I agree COMPLETELY. If he doesn't leave and shows up to play for his $13.95 million then he is doing the right thing. That is all I expect from him. I'm not writing him off in any way. If my posts sound like I'm writing him off, then my bad for not making myself clear. He SHOULD go and test the market. That is what the non-exclusive tag is all about. It gives him the chance to find out what he is really worth on the open market and it gives us the chance to match or better any offer sheet. It also gets us some compensation if we lose him. That's fair for both sides. But if he doesn't leave then I want him to show up and give his best for his money.

Quote Originally Posted by 70 chiefsfan70 View Post
    I'm certain the Chiefs have offered him big money. The problem I have with this is that they gambled on Houstin by not signing him long term, two years ago, or even last year. The entire football world, other then a selected few, knew that Bowe was overpaid when they gave him his contract. The same with Smith.

Houstin didn't want the franchise, he wanted and earned, a contract two years ago. The Chiefs completely ignored and disrespected him by giving the money to Mr. Arrogant. The Chiefs screwed him over. Not on paper but in real life.
    I see it differently. The Chiefs tried to sign him two years ago but he wanted too much even then so they signed who they could. Alex Smith!

Talks of franchising Houston started way before last year even started. Smoke to the Fire is right there two years ago. I believe the Chiefs knew they would not be able to sign Houston given his demands and have planned on using the franchise tag this year, and even went so far as drafted his replacement last year either to replace Tamba to help pay for Houston or replace Houston should he leave.

I don't believe the Chiefs have disrespected anyone they have signed. They just can't afford what Houston is asking without it hurting the entire Franchise. The at least gave Houston the Option to work out a deal with another team and match that offer. I think his numbers are probably unrealistic to any team so the Chiefs are respecting him by letting him find the best deal and if they can't match it. They will be compensated.

The sad part here is that Oakland has the kind of money to offer him a deal the Chiefs can match. They are just looking for people to spend money on or they have to give to the league anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Seek View Post
    I see it differently. The Chiefs tried to sign him two years ago but he wanted too much even then so they signed who they could. Alex Smith!
    Is that true? I don't recall hearing about that. Not doubting you. Just surprised.

I don't believe the Chiefs have disrespected anyone they have signed. They just can't afford what Houston is asking without it hurting the entire Franchise.
    I'm inclined to agree with that. We all know Reid and Dorsey would like to keep Houston, but their job is to build a franchise that can win Super Bowls and Houston plus a bunch of scrubs isn't going to win any Super Bowls. So it all comes down to a business decision as to how much they can afford to pay Houston while still staying within the cap and having the money to build a top notch team.

They at least gave Houston the Option to work out a deal with another team and match that offer. I think his numbers are probably unrealistic to any team so the Chiefs are respecting him by letting him find the best deal and if they can't match it. They will be compensated.
    There it is. If some other team is willing to offer him Suh money then more power to him. Get the offer sheet. Let the Chiefs match or not match. And if they don't they get draft picks. LET THE MARKET DECIDE. I get to decide what brand of beer I am willing to pay for and what brand of cigarettes I'm willing to pay for. That's a business decision. And it's based on my budget. In the end Houston is a business decision.

The sad part here is that Oakland has the kind of money to offer him a deal the Chiefs can match. They are just looking for people to spend money on or they have to give to the league anyway.
    Al Davis isn't running things any more. I don't think they are going to pony up what Houston is looking for. They have a lot of needs and a pass rusher--even Houston--isn't going to solve all their problems.

There was rumors and that is all that is, Rumors. But it was said they did try signing him last year about the time Eric Berry made some reference about getting a extension and good things coming to others on the Chiefs. Then Berry never got the extension and his cap remained as it was. Local radio guys thought that they were extending Berry's contract out so that his 2014 cap hit would go down so they could sign Houston. I don't know if any of it is true, but from what I heard speculated at the time was that, they were close to a deal during traing camp after he talked about holding out, then JJ Watts got his contract and that stopped the talks. Shortly after that JC got his then Alex. Shocking everyone as they thought it would be Houston.

My own speculation is that he wanted and still wants too much. Some radio people also speculate that he is wanting 100 million over 5 years.

My own speculation is that he wanted and still wants too much. Some radio people also speculate that he is wanting 100 million over 5 years.

He wants it or the agent wants it? Also if true, he knows he can get that contract from someone, QBs and people who pressure the QB are the most valuable players in the NFL

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345