Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: All this negativity on Justin Houston isn't justified.

Default All this negativity on Justin Houston isn't justified.

Justin Houston played 4 incredible years for us 3x pro-bowler and almost defensive player of the year. His stat line is just shy of every chiefs fans favorite player of all time DT! He has performed at this level for almost the league minimum for 4 years!!! He asked last year for a contract renegtioation which would have been much cheaper but the chiefs told him no. I think he's got every right to try tactics to get paid as much as he can from the chiefs. The only time I will doubt Justin Houston is when he's not there for opening week in shape and ready to play his heart out. BECAUSE THATS THE ONLY THING HES EVER DONE FOR US! Screw 2 first round picks. J.H. Is Definately worth at least a #1 overall and more.

Houston on has been nothing shy of great for bare minimum. It's time he gets paid! He's a team player and a good role model. Unless you know JH personally, you probably have no clue what is going on behind the scenes. He cares about his teamates (Berry is proof of that) and his fans, he just wants to be paid

PAY THE MAN!

Quote Originally Posted by 70 chiefsfan70 View Post
    Sorry i just noticed this.

DT 58, RIP....................... 58 sacks, 281 tackles, played ....62 games

Justin Houstin................. 48.5 sacks, 198 tackles, played......53 games

Tamba Hali..................... 27 sacks, 176 tackles, played........63 games
    Thanks for posting that 70chiefsfan70....

Certainly in the sack column DT and Houston are pretty evenly matched though DT had almost 25% more tackles per game than Houston.

Quote Originally Posted by Frankenchief View Post
    True. But I'm beginning to warm up to the unlikely idea of some team signing him and giving us two 1sts. Not my preferred scenario, but I won't commit seppuku if it happens.
    Pretty much the way I feel. I'd hate to lose him and it WOULD be a big setback but nothing we can't overcome.

Certainly in the sack column DT and Houston are pretty evenly matched though DT had almost 25% more tackles per game than Houston.[/QUOTE]

DT played in a 4-3 defense therefore was expected to be more of a tackler as to where Houstin played in a 3-4 defense where the inside line backer is more likely to be in position to make the tackle as the olb contains.

I was surprised to see the sacks stats that close though.

Another thing to think about is, Hali who is an excellent team player and possibly my third favorite Chief ever, has made but 50 million in 10 seasons, that's an average of 5 million per year. Houstin has made about 2.8 mil in 4 years, an average of 700,000 k per year.

Maybe I'm old school but Im a believer that if you want to keep good employees, you pay them what they are worth. I'm actually embarrassed and greatly disappointed in the Chiefs front office for this mistake. We all know the money was there, they just gave in to Bowe and Smith. I like them both too, but they are both grossly overpaid and hurt the team big time.

Another thing to think about is, Hali who is an excellent team player and possibly my third favorite Chief ever, has made but 50 million in 10 seasons, that's an average of 5 million per year. Houstin has made about 2.8 mil in 4 years, an average of 700,000 k per year.

Maybe I'm old school but Im a believer that if you want to keep good employees, you pay them what they are worth. I'm actually embarrassed and greatly disappointed in the Chiefs front office for this mistake. We all know the money was there, they just gave in to Bowe and Smith. I like them both too, but they are both grossly overpaid and hurt the team big time.
    UH... Who says the Chiefs have not offered him Great Money and Houston is wanting even more. So far the Chiefs have over paid for almost everyone they have signed so why would that change for Houston who Dorsey and Clark Hunt have said is an ideal Chief to have that they want here.

The hold up is how much Houston is asking for. They are clearly prepared to pay him 14 million this year.

Quote Originally Posted by doobs_05 View Post
    As long as fans keep coming to the stadium and buying tickets, parking fees, merch, he doesn't care who's on the field, win or lose.
    I don't agee. He came in and removed Carl Peterson immediately after his father passed. He hired Pioli who was the top guy at the time, and didn't hesitate to realize it was a mistake let him go, and personally went to Get Andy Reid and made himself even more active in the Chiefs activity to make sure things are done to win.

I truly believe Clark Hunt wants to win more than anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Seek View Post
    UH... Who says the Chiefs have not offered him Great Money and Houston is wanting even more. So far the Chiefs have over paid for almost everyone they have signed so why would that change for Houston who Dorsey and Clark Hunt have said is an ideal Chief to have that they want here.

The hold up is how much Houston is asking for. They are clearly prepared to pay him 14 million this year.
    I'm certain the Chiefs have offered him big money. The problem I have with this is that they gambled on Houstin by not signing him long term, two years ago, or even last year. The entire football world, other then a selected few, knew that Bowe was overpaid when they gave him his contract. The same with Smith.

Houstin didn't want the franchise, he wanted and earned, a contract two years ago. The Chiefs completely ignored and disrespected him by giving the money to Mr. Arrogant. The Chiefs screwed him over. Not on paper but in real life.

I'm certain the Chiefs have offered him big money. The problem I have with this is that they gambled on Houstin by not signing him long term, two years ago, or even last year. The entire football world, other then a selected few, knew that Bowe was overpaid when they gave him his contract. The same with Smith.

Houstin didn't want the franchise, he wanted and earned, a contract two years ago. The Chiefs completely ignored and disrespected him by giving the money to Mr. Arrogant. The Chiefs screwed him over. Not on paper but in real life.
    This! 2 years of making 5 mil a year less is 10 million dollars! Now he figures he got shafted 2 years of ok money and he's going to Re-Coup that. He wants guaranteed money for past production. Say the chiefs give him a back end loaded contract and he gets hurt this year and is never the same. Then chiefs cut or release him and he never got decent pay. Think about what your asking Houston to do. He's trying to make a living for the rest of his life right now because next year is NEVER guaranteed.

I'm with you guys if Houston sits out till week 10. If he will not sign a 13 mil one year contract and sits I'm going to be pissed off at Houston. But I feel he's a team player just using smoke and mirrors to try to negotiate a contract. Even if he sits out offseason workouts I won't be mad because when he did that last season he did that and stayed in great shape to come out and perform. I think he will sign just in time to play.

Without a doubt giving Houston a raise at the start of the 2013 season would have been the smart thing to do. We had some cap space then and it probably would have made getting a new contract done now much easier. But we can't cry over spilt milk.

Getting an extension done last year would also have been a smart thing. But we had 3 guys wanting big money deals last year...Houston, JC and Alex Smith and there wasn't cap space to do all 3. Dorsey chose to do JC and Alex. With the benefit of 20-20 hindsight it looks as if perhaps we should have done JC and Houston and left Smith to this year. A tactical mistake on Dorsey's part. But what are we going to do? Fire Dorsey? I don't think so.

Meanwhile I'm sure Dorsey is throwing some very big numbers around in talks with Dorsey's agent. He's certainly trying his best to get Houston into a new deal. What more can we ask?

I hope that one day we'll all find out just what kind of money Houston was asking for and what Dorsey was offering. Meanwhile the tag at $13.95 million is still a very big payday for a single season.
    Last edited by ctchiefsfan; 03-12-2015 at 12:14 PM.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast