Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dropped Passes

Default Dropped Passes

With the addition of Maclin (very good hands) and the departure of Bowe, I became optimistic about the better pairing of WR/QB skill set. Unfortunately, I uncovered some unsettling statistics...

Smith led offenses have been top 5 in dropped pass % the past 4 seasons
    Alex Smith has never had a 1,000 yard WR

I can make up excuses for statistics just as much as the next guy but there seems to be a trend. I remember a lot of people who were very defensive when Alex Smith was criticized about not having a deep ball but now they post that he is a QB who loves his short/intermediate RB/TE routes.

I know that I'll hear about poor WR and all of that. I'm more interested in discussing if there is actually a problem with his throws. I.E. Ball catchability, placement, velocity, etc...

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/st...rcentage/2014/

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/drops/2014/

Well my eye test will tell you that most of the drops I see are because of the receiver. Maybe that is because it bothered me the most. Specially with Hemmingway, Hammond and Bowe. Even Kelce would drop some as he would start to run before he had it.

It is one reason I really started liking Albert. He was catching everything thrown to him and while he was covered. Bowe almost always dropped a pass if he being defended and he would almost always look for a flag. Hammong and Hemmingway just dropped passes wide open.

Quote Originally Posted by Subversion View Post
    With the addition of Maclin (very good hands) and the departure of Bowe, I became optimistic about the better pairing of WR/QB skill set. Unfortunately, I uncovered some unsettling statistics...

I can make up excuses for statistics just as much as the next guy but there seems to be a trend. I remember a lot of people who were very defensive when Alex Smith was criticized about not having a deep ball but now they post that he is a QB who loves his short/intermediate RB/TE routes.

I know that I'll hear about poor WR and all of that. I'm more interested in discussing if there is actually a problem with his throws. I.E. Ball catchability, placement, velocity, etc...

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/st...rcentage/2014/

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/drops/2014/

Get ready to be called a hater/basher

I would say, when your WRs are underutilized, they are probably going to be less consistent when the ball DOES come their way. If they are used to getting passes their direction, they have a better chance to get comfortable catching passes in games.

Quote Originally Posted by Seek View Post
    Well my eye test will tell you that most of the drops I see are because of the receiver. Maybe that is because it bothered me the most. Specially with Hemmingway, Hammond and Bowe. Even Kelce would drop some as he would start to run before he had it.

It is one reason I really started liking Albert. He was catching everything thrown to him and while he was covered. Bowe almost always dropped a pass if he being defended and he would almost always look for a flag. Hammong and Hemmingway just dropped passes wide open.
    I do think a qbs placement does help receivers but i seen our wr drop mostly some easy catches. Receivers are paid to catch the balls. No excuse. If it touches their hand they should be able to catch it more often than not. Qb are paid to throw it andits the wr job to catch it if its in his area. Tired of the cop out saying the qb could have thrown it a little better. Some blame goes to qb but 90 percent is on the wr if it touches his hands. Brett favre would throw it hard every time and his wr were able to catch them.

Quote Originally Posted by doobs_05 View Post
    Get ready to be called a hater/basher
    Not by me he won't. I like Alex. I think he has a lot of qualities as a QB and a teammate. That said, I think there are legitimate questions about some aspects of his throwing ability. However there has always been the legitimate complaint that he didn't have the supporting talent at WR. Reid and Dorsey seem to be addressing that problem. Bowe has always been known for drops and questionable focus. In short--laziness. Maclin has shown he doesn't have that problem. *IF* the O-Line gives Smith the time to throw longer passes and *IF* Reid puts more deep routes into his game plan and Smith doesn't get the job done then we sure as hell have an expensive problem on our hands.

Speaking of dropped passes, If they pass on Strong in the 1st i will advocate for Maxx Williams big time TE from Minnesota and then we could get Lockette and/or Agholor in the 3rd kill 2 birds with one stone and this offense will become explosive and Lethal

Quote Originally Posted by Subversion View Post

Okay...To give this the benefit of the doubt, there's nothing that I see from Alex Smith that would indicate to me that the guy throws the ball unusually. As to where QB's ball velocities are recorded as stats (or how much I'd trust them if they were) have no idea, but here's what I've gotten from observation: He's guilty of an erratic pass once in awhile, and is extremely reluctant to throw to recievers that aren't open, but nothing so bad that it's gotten him benched by Reid. His throws aren't lasers, but he's definitley not pop-gun armed, and he doesn't have a weird throwing style like Jeff George did (he threw the ball like a baseball pitcher, with one finger behind the center of the ball) , or have that big wind up that Elway used to. Did find this article...

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2014/1...fs-dwayne-bowe

Smith will throw long, but ONLY if the reciever is open, he's ultra conservative in that department. Sometimes that's good, sometimes that's bad. Usually it's a good thing, though (fewer INT's).

IMHO Reid & Dorsey are attacking the deep passing game logically. Even if Alex Smith was CLEARLY at fault for every missed catch, no regime is going to give up on their sought after free agent QB after two seasons, especially one they had to give up two second round draft picks for, and especially after Smith's 384 yard playoff performance against the Colts. So that leaves the other two maligned culprits, the WR corps and the O-line. If they fix those two issues, and the problem still remains...Then the QB will probably get replaced.

The WR corps has been pretty much gutted, with Bowe, Avery, and Jenkins gone. Reid seems to be switching (so far) to recievers more experienced in his system (Maclin, Avant). Bowe has been through how many different QB's/OC's/HC's and has the same issues every year, it's not like we were seeing anything new (Anyone remember that time Bowe got chewed out on MNF by Tyler Palko ?!?). Avery flat out didn't make any effort some games (for ex, the Titans game when they showed him not reaching out at all for the catch.)

The O-line was pretty much in shambles from '07 - '12, and over the past three drafts was given a bigger priority. With the exception of Dorsey's adherence to drafting BPA over team needs, still expect to see the Chiefs pick up another pair of WR's and some more O-line in this draft.
    Last edited by Eydugstr; 03-14-2015 at 12:53 AM.

Thanks for the input. In a vacuum, of all available quarterbacks at the time, Smith was by far the best choice for Reid's system. So I'm not trying to knock Smith, even if it comes off that way. A system that values accuracy over arm strength for the short WR intermediate routes. I feel like I have seen Bowe drop a lot of would be 1st downs on attempted slants but couldn't find the statistic for it. Bowe just doesn't fit Reid's system.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast