Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dropped Passes

Default Dropped Passes

With the addition of Maclin (very good hands) and the departure of Bowe, I became optimistic about the better pairing of WR/QB skill set. Unfortunately, I uncovered some unsettling statistics...

Smith led offenses have been top 5 in dropped pass % the past 4 seasons
    Alex Smith has never had a 1,000 yard WR

I can make up excuses for statistics just as much as the next guy but there seems to be a trend. I remember a lot of people who were very defensive when Alex Smith was criticized about not having a deep ball but now they post that he is a QB who loves his short/intermediate RB/TE routes.

I know that I'll hear about poor WR and all of that. I'm more interested in discussing if there is actually a problem with his throws. I.E. Ball catchability, placement, velocity, etc...

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/st...rcentage/2014/

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/drops/2014/

Dang that was a long read but good read.

Quote Originally Posted by Subversion View Post
    With the addition of Maclin (very good hands) and the departure of Bowe, I became optimistic about the better pairing of WR/QB skill set. Unfortunately, I uncovered some unsettling statistics...

Smith led offenses have been top 5 in dropped pass % the past 4 seasons
    Alex Smith has never had a 1,000 yard WR
    Wow, where were you on all of the Alex Smith discussions last month? LOL

10 facts about Alex Smith, and/or Alex Smith led offenses:

1. Never produced a 1,000 yard receiver.
    2. Never thrown more than 10 TD passes to any group of receivers in a season.
    3. Only once in 9 NFL seasons has Smith thrown 5 TDs to any individual receiver (Bowe in '13 was the 1st time that ever happened).
    4. Has never led a passing offense ranked any higher than 24th (10 or more starts).
    5. Smith has taken 40(+) sacks per 16 starts in every season of his career except 1.
    6. The one season that he missed in SF ('08) turned out to be the most productive season for any 49ers receiver during the Smith era until Crabtree in '12.
    7. Crabtree in '12 was more productive (more receptions, more yards, more TDs) in 7 starts with Kaepernick than he was in 9 starts with Smith.
    8. Smith has made 10 (or more) starts in 6 of his 9 NFL seasons and has a QBR under 50 in all 6 (50 is the dead average mark).
    9. In 9 NFL seasons, Smith has thrown 20(+) TDs only once.
    10. Smith led offenses have been top 5 in dropped pass% the past 4 seasons ('11 & '12 in SF, '13 & '14 in KC).
    [U][I][B][COLOR=#383838][FONT=Verdana]Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.[/FONT][/COLOR][/B][/I][/U]

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie Ray View Post
    Wow, where were you on all of the Alex Smith discussions last month? LOL

10 facts about Alex Smith, and/or Alex Smith led offenses:

1. Never produced a 1,000 yard receiver.
    2. Never thrown more than 10 TD passes to any group of receivers in a season.
    3. Only once in 9 NFL seasons has Smith thrown 5 TDs to any individual receiver (Bowe in '13 was the 1st time that ever happened).
    4. Has never led a passing offense ranked any higher than 24th (10 or more starts).
    5. Smith has taken 40(+) sacks per 16 starts in every season of his career except 1.
    6. The one season that he missed in SF ('08) turned out to be the most productive season for any 49ers receiver during the Smith era until Crabtree in '12.
    7. Crabtree in '12 was more productive (more receptions, more yards, more TDs) in 7 starts with Kaepernick than he was in 9 starts with Smith.
    8. Smith has made 10 (or more) starts in 6 of his 9 NFL seasons and has a QBR under 50 in all 6 (50 is the dead average mark).
    9. In 9 NFL seasons, Smith has thrown 20(+) TDs only once.
    10. Smith led offenses have been top 5 in dropped pass% the past 4 seasons ('11 & '12 in SF, '13 & '14 in KC).
    I still have hope for smith. Lol.if we draft a top wr and sure up the center. And depth on oline. Smith will have no excuse this year. Smith can do it. He just has to trust his recievers. I think kt was telling that he connected with avant so quick and was mlre productive in his short time. To me that says alot about our wr core. But smith does share blame but he can do better. The wr we had couldnt done better. So we go with smith who can.

I to have a great deal of respect and faith in Smith. I do believe with the right scheme and players he can have a top ten offense and with our D that's all we need to be very successful.. I personally would rather have the high percentage QB vs the guy who throws bombs and gets alot of picks.
    Remember my wife doesn't call us the Cardiac Chiefs for nothing!!! We have enough stress without having to worry about a QB making the stupid mistakes.

A very interesting article. Thanks for pointing it out. And my compliments to the author. That was a lot of work.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12