Thread: Current Salary Cap (3/25/2015)

Default Current Salary Cap (3/25/2015)

According to Spotrac, we are currently under the cap by $2.9 million.

They also have listed the estimated contracts for all the draft picks (due to the new CBA, all the salaries are pretty much set, except for details like how much is bonus and guarantees). Since only the highest 51 contracts will count against the cap, only our top 4 picks will count against the cap.

If I'm doing the math correctly, those picks will only cost us about $1.3 million.

So, with free agency having wound down, (assuming we do not cut or sign anyone else) and including the draft picks, we have about $1.6 million in cap space.

I was convinced that just to remain under the cap, we would have to take a step back in terms of personnel, but it seems that Dorsey has found ways to cut the right people, and renegotiate with others (thanks Hali and DeVito)

BTW, this is WITHOUT any changes to Eric Berry's contract. If he is NFI'd, we would probably get more space to sign another low tier veteran or two.

Source: http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/cap/

I read we need 4.4 million to sign draft picks so....

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefs4life24 View Post
    I read we need 4.4 million to sign draft picks so....
    If you add up all the draft picks (before they snubbed the comp picks), they cost $4.4 mil (it is now $6+ with the comp picks).

However, that isn't their cap cost. You only count the top 51 contracts, so many of those draft picks won't count against our cap. Additionally, when you add an expensive contract, you knock off a cheap contract. The lowest contract that counts right now is $513,000. If you sign someone for 514000, it will only add 1000 to the total cap, because you knocked off the smaller contact.

Quote Originally Posted by jap1 View Post
    If you add up all the draft picks (before they snubbed the comp picks), they cost $4.4 mil (it is now $6+ with the comp picks).

However, that isn't their cap cost. You only count the top 51 contracts, so many of those draft picks won't count against our cap. Additionally, when you add an expensive contract, you knock off a cheap contract. The lowest contract that counts right now is $513,000. If you sign someone for 514000, it will only add 1000 to the total cap, because you knocked off the smaller contact.
    Thanks for that explanation jap1