Thread: Chiefs 2016 Free Agents

Default Chiefs 2016 Free Agents

This is a big list with some big names, the ones I think we shouldn't let go I've stared

The initial wave of the Kansas City Chiefs 2015 free agency is over so let's take a minute and scroll through some of the Chiefs players scheduled to be free agents next year in 2016.

The list is a little scary. Several members of the core of the Chiefs defense are set to be free agents, including Justin Houston, Derrick Johnson, Dontari Poe, Sean Smith and Eric Berry. The future of the Chiefs defense could be dramatically different if any of those players have to leave via free agency next season.

The Chiefs will also need to make some decisions at quarterback with Chase Daniel, Tyler Bray and Terrelle Pryorentering their final years. That would leave the Chiefs with just Alex Smith and Aaron Murray.

The Chiefs will whittle this list down between now and next March. They'll re-sign some players before, during or after the season. Injuries will happen to some players which will affect decisions. The Chiefs will also see some backup players emerge which will make some of these decisions easier or harder in some cases.

They'll also have the franchise tag available. Because both Dontari Poe and Justin Houston are scheduled to be free agents, it's important one of those players is wrapped up before free agency next season.

Here's the full list (via Over The Cap). What stands out to you?

QB Chase Daniel

LB Justin Houston*

LB Derrick Johnson*

NT Dontari Poe*

QB Tyler Bray

DE Mike DeVito*

CB Sean Smith*

S Eric Berry*

S Tyvon Branch*

CB Jamell Fleming

LB Dezman Moses

TE Richard Gordon

DT Nick Williams

WR Jason Avant

DE Vaughn Martin

RB Cyrus Gray

OL Derek Sherrod*

LB Josh Martin

TE Demetrius Harris

LB Frank Zombo

S Husain Abdullah*

G Jeff Allen*

OT Donald Stephenson*

CB Shaquille Richardson

WR Junior Hemingway

CB Aaron Hester

LB James-Michael Johnson

QB Terrelle Pryor

RB Charcandrick West

DT Jaye Howard

S Daniel Sorensen
    Last edited by Chiefs4life24; 03-30-2015 at 10:01 AM.

I won't try to address all those potential free agents, but I'll mention a few.

Chase Daniel.....Hopefully by then Reid feels that either Bray or Murray are ready to take over the #2 spot.

Justin Houston.....If a long term deal doesn't get done this year, I suspect he'll be gone next year.

Derrick Johnson....Remains to be seen how he will recover from his injury, but he is 32 and IMO unlikely to command big money. Probably worth keeping if we get him for a reasonable price but if someone offers him huge money then good luck to him.

Dontari Poe.....We need to keep him.

Tyler Bray.....He's been a "project" from day 1. Time he proved he is worth keeping.

Mike DeVito.....Has done decent work. Be good to keep him if we can get him for a decent price. He's 30 and will be 31 next year. Unlikely to command big money on the open market. If somebody wants to pay him big money then good luck to him.

Sean Smith....Wouldn't like to lose him, but if we do, so be it.

Eric Berry.....Remains to be seen how he recovers from his illness, but if he is still able to play I am sure he will remain a Chief. Hunt and management have been pretty good to him. I think he will want to finish his career as a Chief.

Did we sign another Packers linemen too?? I would like to see them Keep Sorenson as well

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefs4life24 View Post
    Did we sign another Packers linemen too?? I would like to see them Keep Sorenson as well
    We signed a few former Packers d-linemen in 2013, but I'm not aware of any we grabbed this year. Of course, that doesn't mean we haven't, just that I'm not aware.
    Last edited by ctchiefsfan; 03-30-2015 at 09:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchiefsfan View Post
    We signed a few former Packers d-linemen in 2013, but I'm not aware of any we grabbed this year. Of course, that doesn't mean we haven't, just that I'm not aware.
    We signed Jerel Worthy (DE) and Derek Sherrod (OT) who were formerly with the packers.