Thread: Deadline for Poe is coming up

Default Deadline for Poe is coming up

Dontari Poe's fifth year option for 2016 would be $6.1 million
    By Joel Thorman  @JoelThorman on Apr 9, 2015, 12:57p 3

Denny Medley-USA TODAY Sports
     TWEET (1) SHARE (86)
    We talked earlier this week about the Kansas City Chiefs May 3 deadline to pick up the fifth year option on Dontari Poe. I said that this was a no-brainer decision for the Chiefs to pick it up because there's very little risk in doing so (and, oh yeah, Poe is really freakin' good).

Now we have some numbers to attach to that. As the 11th pick in the 2012 NFL Draft, Poe's fifth year option number is $6.1 million, according to Joel Corry of CBS Sports.

That Poe was the 11th pick and not the 10th works in the Chiefs favor. The fifth year option for those selected between picks 11-32 is the average salary of the 3rd-25th players at the position, which is $6.1 million for defensive tackles. Top 10 picks in that draft have a fifth year option of the average of the top 10 highest paid players at that position.

If Poe were a top 10 pick, his option year would be $9.3 million. Since he was the 11th pick, it will only cost $6.1 million, a difference of over $3 million.

There's little question the Chiefs will pick it up by the May 3 deadline.

Pick up the fifth year option, OR be prepared to give him the franchise next year. I don't see the Chiefs being able to sign him long term this year and next year he may want to test the market. We need Poe more then we need Houstin. Poe may be the best NT in the league. He is a beast!

Definitely pick up the option and start discussions about long term contract. I fear that he is going to want Suh type of money when his contract is up. Suh doesnt deserve Suh type of money.

Im hoping he would be okay with 6-9 mil/year on a long term contract with plenty of guaranteed money.

I read were like in the mid to low twenties for oline and dline spending

Pick up his option for sure. No way we can keep Justin and Dontari if they both need new deals. Each will want $20mm/yr. And if forced to choose, I'd take Poe over Houston.